2008-9 Niagara University Basketball Thread

EndZoneCrew

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See you tomorrow night.

Eagles hope to shut down Bonnies

The Niagara men’s basketball team has quite a streak going over its traditional Little Three Rival St. Bonaventure.

The Purple Eagles have won the past five meetings over Bona, but don’t look for the extension to No. 6 to come easily in the Reilly Center tonight (7, Radio 1300 AM, 105.1 FM).

Neither of the teams are what you’re used to seeing.

Niagara (8-2) is playing some of the best defense it ever has under coach Joe Mihalich while the Bonnies (7-3) are on their first extended winning streak in eight years.

This, Big 4 basketball fans, should be a good one.

(more at link)

1969! When the BILLS were still training there.

A lot of water has gone over the Falls since then!

Ah, you were there for the Calvin Murphy years. I lived a few blocks away and saw many, many NU games in those days. Good times.

Frank Layden wasn't the best coach in the world, but he knew BBall and was funny as hell. I lived down the street from him. His son, Scott (former Knicks GM) was a humorless punk, though.

Ouch, that one hurt. Congrats to the Purple Eagles, they are a talented team. Bonnies hopefully learned they have to play exteremely hard every night just to compete. A few more non-cons and then off to A10 play.

The A10 stinks again this year. The only 2 decent teams in the whole league are Xavier & Dayton. Every other team in that league sucks especially the Bonnies.

The A10 stinks again this year. The only 2 decent teams in the whole league are Xavier & Dayton. Every other team in that league sucks especially the Bonnies.

You stay classy Lancaster. Well, the Bonnies have far more talent than they have had in any year since the scandal and they have a coach who can actually use it and develop it. I am very happy with the direction of the program. Keep an eye on Andrew Nicholson, who 11 games into his freshman year is the best player on the team and a 3 time A10 rookie of the week winner. He is a budding star. As for sucking, we'll see. That's why they play the games.

You stay classy Lancaster. Well, the Bonnies have far more talent than they have had in any year since the scandal and they have a coach who can actually use it and develop it. I am very happy with the direction of the program. Keep an eye on Andrew Nicholson, who 11 games into his freshman year is the best player on the team and a 3 time A10 rookie of the week winner. He is a budding star. As for sucking, we'll see. That's why they play the games.

I will grant you that they have more talent & a better direction then anytime since the scandal. That still does not equate to wins though & my guess is they will have a tough time finishing above .500 in league play this year.

Hold the phone there. The jury is still out on my Rhody Rams. They are 10-4 and while they haven't pulled off any upsets yet, their four losses were all on the road to major programs; including hanging with Duke to the buzzer in Durham.

If they can take care of business in the A-10 and not choke against UMASS like usual, they could be in the hunt for an NCAA bid. Besides, they are due for their 'once every 10 years' surprise run in the tourney.

Hold the phone there. The jury is still out on my Rhody Rams. They are 10-4 and while they haven't pulled off any upsets yet, their four losses were all on the road to major programs; including hanging with Duke to the buzzer in Durham.

If they can take care of business in the A-10 and not choke against UMASS like usual, they could be in the hunt for an NCAA bid. Besides, they are due for their 'once every 10 years' surprise run in the tourney.

Well they only loss to Duke by 3pts. They still need a signature win to impress the tournament committee, not sure they could get that in the A-10 this year especially the way Xavier has tanked their last 2 games. Looking at the rest of their OOC schedule, the only teams they have left are Akron & F Dickenson. If they want an at large berth, they better only lose 2 or 3 games in A-10 play.

Based on last year's results, Jim Boeheim would probably say that Rhody and UMass don't suck. And if you're going to toss out the "especially the Bonnies" canard to try to piss me off, it won't work, because I've seen Fordham play.

To answer the earlier question, I was born just down State St. from the SBU campus, still live half an hour from there, and have season tickets. Oh, and my stepdad used to recruit for them -- signing Paul Hoffman, one of the players on the 1970 Final Four team, among others -- and one of the current assistants used to coach high-school ball with my stepbrother.

Well they only loss to Duke by 3pts. They still need a signature win to impress the tournament committee, not sure they could get that in the A-10 this year especially the way Xavier has tanked their last 2 games. Looking at the rest of their OOC schedule, the only teams they have left are Akron & F Dickenson. If they want an at large berth, they better only lose 2 or 3 games in A-10 play.

Agreed that this is an obstacle. Pulling out the Duke or Providence games would have been very big. Rhody has won 40 games over the past 2 years but have had few big wins ('Cuse was about the only one) and have played poorly down the stretch (especially last years' implosion), costing them an NCAA bid both years.

I'd say they can lose 4-5 conference games; 23-9 should get a bid, unless they are blown out by Xavier and Dayton.

Ah, you were there for the Calvin Murphy years. I lived a few blocks away and saw many, many NU games in those days. Good times.

Frank Layden wasn't the best coach in the world, but he knew BBall and was funny as hell. I lived down the street from him. His son, Scott (former Knicks GM) was a humorless punk, though.

You're right! Calvin Murphy was a year behind me. Bona had Bob Lanier and Buf State had Randy Smith and that made for many good games at the AUD. I always wished all those guys could have played together for the Braves. That would have been a tremendous draw!

Frank Layden, at that time, was a pretty big guy! He used to say that he couldn't wear blue suits because people kept dropping film in his side pocket thinking he was a PhotoMat.