2008-9 Niagara University Basketball Thread

EndZoneCrew

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Niagara even want to win this game?

They were up 6 with 1:00, going to the line.

Now tied with :13 left in OT

They totally blew that OT. Maybe they'll have better luck in the next one.

They managed to sneak by.

Playing 50 minutes with fewer than 24 hours rest doesn't bode well, though.

Bilal Benn was huge on the glass.

You got that right.

I know Lewis hit the game tying shot in regulation, but 7 for 36 so far in the tournament. Did he ever consider turning down a shot on nights when the ball isn't dropping for him? :w00t:

I'm looking forward to the game tonight .... would love to see them make the dance .... B-)

NU has always been the class of WNY college b-ball. I wish them well and hope the win it all. On a side note UB came from behind and beat Miami OH and finished as co-champs of the MAC regular season. (The lose to BGSU on tiebreaker.) Normally I would be happy but UB has played some terrible basketball and probably won because the rest of the MAC is just as bad. I really think they need a coaching upgrade but this has been UB best season of b-ball standings-wise, and becaue UB has pretty much secured some sort of post-season tourney invite. So it would be hard to dump Reggie Witherspoon.

PTR

NU has always been the class of WNY college b-ball. I wish them well and hope the win it all. On a side note UB came from behind and beat Miami OH and finished as co-champs of the MAC regular season. (The lose to BGSU on tiebreaker.) Normally I would be happy but UB has played some terrible basketball and probably won because the rest of the MAC is just as bad. I really think they need a coaching upgrade but this has been UB best season of b-ball standings-wise, and becaue UB has pretty much secured some sort of post-season tourney invite. So it would be hard to dump Reggie Witherspoon.

PTR

That is not true Promo. In the the 70s Boneventure was certainly at the forfront with Bob Lanier. They even made it to the final four & lost to Jacksonville St. lanier was hurt. They probably would of won the national championship if he did not get hurt. In the mid 80', Canisius was certainly the team to beat in WNY when they had Ray Hall & Mike Schmrek(sp). In the mid 90s when I went to grad school @ Canisius they were clearly the class of WNY as they made 2 NIT Tournaments, an NIT run to the final four & an NCAA Tournament appearance in a 3yr span. The late 90's, Bonaventure was once again the class of WNY as they made the NCAA Tournament as an AT LARGE team & nearly & should of knocked off Kentucky in the first round. They lost in overtime.

This decade Niagara obviously has been the class of WNY when it comes to basketball, but to say they have always been the class of WNY is not giving the other programs the credit they deserve.

That is not true Promo. In the the 70s Boneventure was certainly at the forfront with Bob Lanier. They even made it to the final four & lost to Jacksonville St. lanier was hurt. They probably would of won the national championship if he did not get hurt. In the mid 80', Canisius was certainly the team to beat in WNY when they had Ray Hall & Mike Schmrek(sp). In the mid 90s when I went to grad school @ Canisius they were clearly the class of WNY as they made 2 NIT Tournaments, an NIT run to the final four & an NCAA Tournament appearance in a 3yr span. The late 90's, Bonaventure was once again the class of WNY as they made the NCAA Tournament as an AT LARGE team & nearly & should of knocked off Kentucky in the first round. They lost in overtime.

This decade Niagara obviously has been the class of WNY when it comes to basketball, but to say they have always been the class of WNY is not giving the other programs the credit they deserve.

Point taken. I was thinking more recent times but didn't qualify my comment. I do recall the Lanier days @ St.B. I saw him getting injured and Bona lose to the "twin towers" of Artis Gilmore and Pembrook Burrows vs Jacksonville.

PTR

I'll also throw in Bona's NIT Tournament Championship in 1977. That was when the NCAA field was only 32 teams and the NIT really meant something. Greg Sanders and Essie Hollis led Bona over Otis Birdsong's Houston team for the title. Sanders had over 40 points in that game.

Good luck to Niagara tonight.