RIP Sammy Baugh

Corp000085

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3776838

He didn't invent the passing game, but he definitely revolutionized it. Guys like Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, and yes, JP Losman and Rob Johnson can all thank their lucky stars for slingin sammy. Without him, the face of football would be vastly different. He was 94 and died from complications of Alzheimer's and pneumonia.

Baugh played QB, CB, and punted-all extremely well. As a matter of fact, in addition to his passing prowess, he was a league leader in punting.

He lived or had lived in Temple, TX which is not far from Fort Hood. A great player from a great era in NFL history.

RIP.

I always loved this quote from him:

When the Chicago Bears defeated the Redskins, 73-0, in the famous 1940 NFL title battle, a Redskins end dropped a touchdown pass in the end zone. Reporters asked Baugh if the outcome would have been different had the pass been caught. "Yeah," Baugh answered, "It would have made it 73-7."

I have very high standards for who I think should be in the Hall of Fame. Ninety percent of the names you usually see mentioned have no business being in the HOF. The standard question I ask is, "Can the history of professional football be written without mentioning this player?" If the answer is YES, then they do not belong in the HOF. With Baugh, there is no question that you CANNOT write the history of pro football without him. He belongs in the HOF and is one of the all-time greats.

R.I.P. Slingin' Sammy.

I always loved this quote from him:

I have very high standards for who I think should be in the Hall of Fame. Ninety percent of the names you usually see mentioned have no business being in the HOF. The standard question I ask is, "Can the history of professional football be written without mentioning this player?" If the answer is YES, then they do not belong in the HOF. With Baugh, there is no question that you CANNOT write the history of pro football without him. He belongs in the HOF and is one of the all-time greats.

R.I.P. Slingin' Sammy.

Well said, Kenneth.

Baugh is truly an NFL legend and will be missed. I still have NFL Films' 75 year anniversary show, and Baugh's commentary in that was one of the highlights.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3776838

He didn't invent the passing game, but he definitely revolutionized it. Guys like Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, and yes, JP Losman and Rob Johnson can all thank their lucky stars for slingin sammy. Without him, the face of football would be vastly different. He was 94 and died from complications of Alzheimer's and pneumonia.

Not only was he a great player, but I think I remember him being real happy when he got a check for the throwback jerseys. I read that somewhere and it gave me a laugh.