question about excersize techniques

The Poojer

I am alternating days, 3 days of weights/machines and 3 days of bike/stair climb/treadmill/ab crunch and pec fly, trying to do at least an hour, or as long as it takes me to do 3 sets of 12 reps, and taking the seventh day off. its only been just shy of 3 weeks, but i am doing it to force myself into a routine and getting used to going(its working so far). i find the hardest thing is getting there...once i am there, i am really glad i did it, although that exercise is the work of the devil. i have done one step up in weight, with the next to come on friday...trying to do it after a week(3-4 days of a complete cycle). the best thing is this gym is open 24 hours, sun-thurs and then most of the day fri & sat. so i have no excuse to go, in fact, i was up this am at 4.30, so i decided, wtf and was there by 4.45, so i had my cardio out of the way by 6.15

Next step is to start running on the treadmill to get myself in shape to attempt the upcoming 10K in richmond in late march...then maybe by then 2 weeks later i can actually take my shirt off when i am in myrtle beach without offending the other beach goers....

First of all - congratulations. I had been a lazy bum for a majority of my 38 yr existence when I took the step you did - join a gym. Almost 3 years later, I am addicted and get depressed if I don't get my 4 days/ week in. So keep it up and don't go back. Do what works best for you and with what your main intent is. My primary drivers were (in decreasing order of importance): lower cholesterol, slimmer body and muscular shape.

As with beerball, I am not a professional trainer of any sort but here is what I do:

- 2 days of each: 55-60 minute cardio + 1 ab crunch machine + 1 medicine ball for abs.

- 2 days of each: 20-30 minute cardio + 40 minutes machines. I do a total of 8 upper body machines. 10-12 reps x 2 sets at one time before moving to the next machine.

I have been happy with the results. What I got was a reduction in trouser size from 38 to 34, more upper body strength and decidedly lower frequency of illnesses.

What I did not get yet is a flat tummy. I am not aiming for rippling muscles but rather a muscular upper body.

Hope that helps.

to me the cost isnt worth it... i am not looking for 6-pack abs, i simply want to be in better shape and gain some strength and tone up...i am not willing to drop 400.00 on a 3 month session, although i havent looked at ad hoc rates...i am ok doing it on my own, or with a buddy right now....but then again, i am cheap......and easy

Get a trainer. The cost is worth it and the trainer will help you design the program for you. Remember that your overall plan will probably include cardio work and stretching and the trainer can help with those things as well. Good luck.

Anyone can get a training license for about $300 bucks and an at home test. Doesn't really mean much.

And he's just asking for basic advice about which machines to use and when, you don't need a trainer for that.

I am a Phys. Ed. major and I have classes with a bunch of training majors...I think it takes a little more than that to become a trainer budday.

ok, so i took the big leap and joined a local gym, have been going regularly for a couple weeks now....question about the way i am doing it. i am doing a circuit of 10-12 machines. the way i am doing is it do each set on each machine and then go back and do it again on each machine and then a 3rd set. i am not sure if i should be doing 3 sets on each machine and then moving on to the next....does it matter? any feedback would be greatly appreciated...if it matters, it is a mix of all the major body part groups, not just concentrating on one...thanks in advance

My advice? Stop going to Curves.

I do "watch" other people....they keep calling security on me :D

Watch what other people are doing, experiment, keep what you like and never be afrid to try something different. Maybe even buy one of the muscle magazines, they have plenty of ideas in them. Make it fun by always trying something new

I do "watch" other people....they keep calling security on me :D

Watching people work out is one thing. Standing outside the group exercise studio and licking the glass while watching the pole dancing class? Well that's another thing altogether...

to me the cost isnt worth it... i am not looking for 6-pack abs, i simply want to be in better shape and gain some strength and tone up...i am not willing to drop 400.00 on a 3 month session, although i havent looked at ad hoc rates...i am ok doing it on my own, or with a buddy right now....but then again, i am cheap......and easy

Here's what I do. Join a new gym and get the free first session. They'll give you all the basics of a good solid work out but don't sign up for the service.

If anybody needs any more advice on how to do things in the cheap, just PM me, I've got a million of them. :D

Watching people work out is one thing. Standing outside the group exercise studio and licking the glass while watching the pole dancing class? Well that's another thing altogether...

I remember a comedian on time talking about how he stands outside the gym looking in facing the people on the treadmills while he eats donuts and smokes. :D

Nope. Do some research on it.

It is like anything in life. There are good and bad CPAs. There are good and bad cab drivers. There are good and bad trainers.

Depending on the state you live in and what gym you train at, requirements are different. It isn't like some slob is going to go down and get his certificate to make a quick buck. Trainers are usually people who are fitness nuts to begin with even before getting any type of training certification. If you meet your trainer and he is a fat slob who doesn't ask you anything about your medical history or fitness objectives, move on.

It is like anything in life. There are good and bad CPAs. There are good and bad cab drivers. There are good and bad trainers.

Depending on the state you live in and what gym you train at, requirements are different. It isn't like some slob is going to go down and get his certificate to make a quick buck. Trainers are usually people who are fitness nuts to begin with even before getting any type of training certification. If you meet your trainer and he is a fat slob who doesn't ask you anything about your medical history or fitness objectives, move on.

Yes, obviously. My original point was that if, say Pete, wanted to be a trainer, it wouldn't take much. And while many jobs will have different qualifications, the certifications you can get doing an at home course are the same as the ones you would get anywhere else. Of course if a gym were hiring, and they had an application for someone who was certified as a trainer, and someone who was certified as a trainer with a degree in health/fitness/etc..., they would probably choose the second.

IMO, and I've been into fitness for about 15 years with various degrees of involvement, is that personal trainers are overrated. You're far better off in the long run doing some research and getting a dedicated buddy to go with you. I do agree that if you've never worked out before and have no interest in looking up the information yourself (books/internet/magazines), doing a couple sessions with a trainer might be for you.

I am alternating days, 3 days of weights/machines and 3 days of bike/stair climb/treadmill/ab crunch and pec fly, trying to do at least an hour, or as long as it takes me to do 3 sets of 12 reps, and taking the seventh day off. its only been just shy of 3 weeks, but i am doing it to force myself into a routine and getting used to going(its working so far). i find the hardest thing is getting there...once i am there, i am really glad i did it, although that exercise is the work of the devil. i have done one step up in weight, with the next to come on friday...trying to do it after a week(3-4 days of a complete cycle). the best thing is this gym is open 24 hours, sun-thurs and then most of the day fri & sat. so i have no excuse to go, in fact, i was up this am at 4.30, so i decided, wtf and was there by 4.45, so i had my cardio out of the way by 6.15

Next step is to start running on the treadmill to get myself in shape to attempt the upcoming 10K in richmond in late march...then maybe by then 2 weeks later i can actually take my shirt off when i am in myrtle beach without offending the other beach goers....

:lol: