Thurman on WGR

Albany,n.y.

usually players love coaches because they take it easy on them and don't force them to push themselves. These coaches are usually equated with coaches who lose more games than they win. Coaches like Parcells, Bellichick, Jimmy Johnson, and Coughlin are coaches that are disliked and FEARED by players because they know if they don't bring it every game, they are gonna get their asses chewed out or cut...

The players hate them, but at the end of the day they win precisely because these coaches push their players harder than the players would normally push themselves.

Absolutely right!! Why, just the other day I was reading this article about how Peyton Manning triple locks his doors because he is so afraid of Tony Dungy coming to his house to chew him out on a regular basis...

As much as DJ has irritated me, seriously now, what's the alternative? Some fruitcake coordinator that "just might be the next big thing?" We'll not be bringing in any top level coaching talent. We haven't exactly been great at picking coaches. I guess if you go with the blind squirrel theory, we're bound to get a good one eventually.

As much as DJ has irritated me, seriously now, what's the alternative? Some fruitcake coordinator that "just might be the next big thing?" We'll not be bringing in any top level coaching talent. We haven't exactly been great at picking coaches. I guess if you go with the blind squirrel theory, we're bound to get a good one eventually.

I'm willing to bet Russ Grimm would be a pretty good head coach in Buffalo and that our team would not be considered "soft" for very long.

Yeah, I remember how Tom Landry, a well-deserved hall of famer, used to chew out the players and scream and ... oh, wait.

Any style of coaching can work, including laid-back. This has been proven over and over, by Marv Levy among others. The point isn't the style, the point is the results. And with this extremely young group, I'm not sure Jauron has had a legit chance to prove himself.

I wouldn't have much to say if he stays or goes. I'm not convinced he's the problem. He's not the reason the offensive line took till December to jell. The holdout was.

Tom Landry had his own pitbulls to do the screaming..Ditka and Ernie Stautner..If it went as far as to get to Landry he could motivated just as well...Dont think he was as laid back as many think..I saw it ..

Any style of coaching can work, including laid-back. This has been proven over and over, by Marv Levy among others. The point isn't the style, the point is the results. And with this extremely young group, I'm not sure Jauron has had a legit chance to prove himself.

I like the style where the HC has multiple HOF'ers on offense and defense. That's the one that Marv had, and it worked well here too. Until he ran into superior coaches like Jimma Johnson, Bill Parcells, and Joe Gibbs. Then you need good coaching.

Tom Landry had his own pitbulls to do the screaming..Ditka and Ernie Stautner..If it went as far as to get to Landry he could motivated just as well...Dont think he was as laid back as many think..I saw it ..

Yep. Same with Marv. You tick either of those guys off with loafing and not giving your all, your stuff was in a box on the curb before you finished your shower.

Just give the guy a chance. He's been jerked around sooo much by this organization. Inside that poor, immature, mentally challenged, delusional, turnover prone qb, is a superstar waiting to break out! :doh:

Well, you're right about one thing. He HAS been jerked around.

JP is still inexperienced by NFL standards. We all know that Trent needs more experience, right? Well, Trent has played 2/3rds of the number of games that JP has. Has JP played well? In spots, but he's made crucial mistakes. Noticed anyone else like that, Trent for instance? It's what young QBs tend to do.

The reason JP shouldn't start is because he won't be a Bill next year. No other reason.

I like the style where the HC has multiple HOF'ers on offense and defense. That's the one that Marv had, and it worked well here too. Until he ran into superior coaches like Jimma Johnson, Bill Parcells, and Joe Gibbs. Then you need good coaching.

Marv's coaching wasn't the problem. The problem was a soft interior d-line. If we'd had Ted Washington or Pat Williams at NT instead of Jeff Wright, the Bills would have won two of those SBs.

And Jimma Johnson and Joe Gibbs's great coaching rested heavily on the fact that their lineups were superior to the Bills those years. Look at how brilliant Johnson was in Miami with average players and Gibbs was in DC lately with average players.

Marv's coaching wasn't the problem. The problem was a soft interior d-line. If we'd had Ted Washington or Pat Williams at NT instead of Jeff Wright, the Bills would have won two of those SBs.

Marv was a very good NFL HC. But Bill Polian was more responsible for the success than Marv. It also didn't hurt to have Ted Marchibroda as OC.

This really shows the ridiculous mindset of the Bills coaches. If they really think they'll be back next year & the season is already lost, why start the guy who is auditioning to be someone else's #2 QB when you can audition the guy who could be YOUR #2 QB next year? Either they know they're gone & don't care or believe Hamdan isn't good enough and the only reason he's here is to be Trent's pet since he's Trent's best friend on the team. It's not like they're winning games with Losman.

not only do they believe they are coming back, but also thinking nobody is going to want losman and the bills could re sign him cheap

I absolutely love Thurman- my favorite player of all-time.

I think Jauron should be given one more year with a healthy Edwards. JP playing=automatic loss (Cards, Browns, Phins, Jets). You have to figure we win at least two of those games with a healthy Edwards.

Browns? That was Trent.

Notice that Cards, Phins and Jets are good teams. How many of those have the Bills beaten with Trent? Hamdan? Anyone? The Bills aren't good enough to beat good teams. Haven't been in three or four years. Trent played the Phins and Jets this year. How did that go?

Blame JP for JP's bad play. Don't blame him for the Bills bad play. Was it JP who held on the 100 yard kickoff return? And there are plenty more examples. DO blame him for that horrendous sack. But not for the loss.

not only do they believe they are coming back, but also thinking nobody is going to want losman and the bills could re sign him cheap

JP will not resign because he doesn't want to be here. Simple as that. After his play this year, he will not be a starter anywhere next year, but he will be signed as a backup and will have the usual backup's chance.

Marv was a very good NFL HC. But Bill Polian was more responsible for the success than Marv. It also didn't hurt to have Ted Marchibroda as OC.

Great players plus great coach = wild success. The formula isn't difficult to figure out. Notice that Polian has always picked excellent coaches? And that Marv was one of them? You need both. Marv was excellent.

:doh: Not even close. Ever heard of a guy named Cade McNown?

Your point? McNown has NEVER been known for "loafing and not giving (his) all." It just never happened.

Yes, he's a bonehead, but all of those great coaches above you suggested would kick the guy off the team have put up with boneheads. Boneheads who can play, anyway.

Ever heard of a guy named Lawrence Taylor?

JP will not resign because he doesn't want to be here. Simple as that. After his play this year, he will not be a starter anywhere next year, but he will be signed as a backup and will have the usual backup's chance.

if your a gm of any nfl team and you watch film on losman your thinking 3 rd string at best. better off drafting a qb in the later rounds to get your 3rd qb than to sign losman

if your a gm of any nfl team and you watch film on losman your thinking 3 rd string at best. better off drafting a qb in the later rounds to get your 3rd qb than to sign losman

First of all, that's crap. But if you're looking at him as a 2nd stringer, you have a legit decision.

But if you looked at Eli Manning in his first four years with the Giants, you were never sure whether he would ever become a legit starter either. Not till that Pats game at the end of the regular season last year did the light come on. Is Losman starter material now? Hell, no. Neither is Trent. Neither are probably a third of all starters in the league right now, possibly closer to half. Could he become one? Absolutely, if he gets a good environment and develops. Trent too, and we can only hope that Two Bills Drive can prove to be that environment.

Look at the Giants picking up David Carr. Did he ever convince as a starter? Didn't convince me, anyway. But now what do you think the odds are that he will turn into a legit starter in this environment? Pretty good.