Is Fairchild a better coordinator than Turk Schonert?

I honestly don't know anymore. Fairchild kept calling the same game plan from week to week, but at least Turk has thrown in a few wrinkles here & there.

That said, I don't know how much this is Jauron or the OCs. Based on Jauron calling the 2nd & 5 pass yesterday, I'd have to lay the problems on him and not so much on Turk.

I think Schonert has called several good games, this year. He seems to fall apart in the Red Zone and in clutch short yardage situations, or situations such as those that produced yesterday's debacle.

As a 1st year OC, learning the ropes, I thought Schonert was performing at about a "C-" level. Fairchild, for most of last season, performed close to an "F".

Now, in late 2007, Fairchild was doing a decent job. But, that all seemed to change, last year.

Guest dog14787
Let's not forget that Turk is a first year OC. Let's at least give hima year to learn from his mistakes.

You honestly want to give the same offense and OC another year, you've got to be kidding me. :wallbash:

As for Shonert, it is his first year and I understand that, but he never was OC material to begin with in my opinion and normaly you promote the understudy when the system works.

As a coach, I'll take Shonert over Fairchild. Turk Shonert has probably learned allot in his first season, but the Buffalo Bills can ill afford to go into next year without a big change being made with our offensive philosphy.

Well, considering they had the same cast of characters basically in 2007 and 2008, it's a pretty fair comparison.

2007: 30th ranked offense (277.1), 30th passing (164.6), 15th rush (112.5)

2008: 23rd ranked offense (309.4), 20th passing (195.5), 15th rush (113.9)

2007: 15.8 points/game

2008: 21.9 points/game

2007: 20 offensive touchdowns

2008: 26 offensive touchdowns through 14 games

It's easy to bag on Schoenert because they're losing, but they've been considerably less horrible than they were last year on offense. Especially when Edwards has played.

I honestly don't know anymore. Fairchild kept calling the same game plan from week to week, but at least Turk has thrown in a few wrinkles here & there.

That said, I don't know how much this is Jauron or the OCs. Based on Jauron calling the 2nd & 5 pass yesterday, I'd have to lay the problems on him and not so much on Turk.

C'mon now he didn't call that play. he is taking a bullet for Turd "shotgun" Schonert. The problem with Schonert and the learning on the Job is I feel he will never transition away from calling passing plays constantly.He was a back up QB in the NFL for 10 years and has that must throw on every down mentality.

The 49er game and this past Jets game the Bills were owning the opponent with the running game and the second string QB is in the game and he still tries to force the pass over the run. He didn't give Lynch but one carry in that entire 4th QTR against the 49ers.

What a lot of you guys don't remember is the Patriots game when the Bills were in 3rd down and one one on three different occasions and he called shotgun and a passing play,all three went incomplete and the next play was a Bills punt. So stating that, he personally killed those three drives IMO.

Schonert has lost more games this year with the most moronic play calls then any one Bills player has, even JP Losman hasn't played up to the ineptitude of the horrid play calling.

The responsibility of the offensive coordinator is to be able to put the offensive players into positions to make plays. Schonert puts far to much pressure on young QB's shoulders to win games instead of relying more on the ground game to help set up the pass.

Its almost like he wants to pass to set up the passing game and mostly ignores the running game. The Bills rarely used play action passing this year before the Cleveland game in week 11.

The one tiny glimmer of light is that Schonert has gotten better each game as the year has gone on,in fact he was doing much better in calling running plays over shotgun plays in this past Jets game.The fact remains he still reverted to a pass play in a crucial situation when the Bills simply needed to keep running the ball against the Jets.

If Dick Jauron had any real input into the play calling he would have thrown the shotgun formation away and made Schonert only call only play action passes.That shotgun formation has screwed JP and Edwards up so badly this season.Man I just hate that play.

[/b]

You honestly want to give the same offense and OC another year, you've got to be kidding me. :censored:

As for Shonert, it is his first year and I understand that, but he never was OC material to begin with in my opinion and normaly you promote the understudy when the system works.

As a coach, I'll take Shonert over Fairchild. Turk Shonert has probably learned allot in his first season, but the Buffalo Bills can ill afford to go into next year without a big change being made with our offensive philosphy.

Excellent point :wallbash:

Guest dog14787
Excellent point :wallbash:

We can thank Dean I believe it was that first pointed it out, sometimes the fella is just to logical for this board. :censored:

What this team needs is the same thing it's needed for at least a decade. It needs an OC that realizes that the team plays in BUFFALO. An OC that realizes that we're looking at 6 maybe 8 weeks up acceptable weather then it will turn to crap. The last quarter of the season will likely be played in horrid conditions.

We need an OC that knows how to establish a running game. An OC that understands the nuances of an effective running game and one that doesn't implement and offense that opposing defenses can immediately decode.

I want someone to gather the offensive line together and make them understand that they're going actually going to have to run block and that they'd better learn to drive people into the ground.

Guest dog14787
What this team needs is the same thing it's needed for at least a decade. It needs an OC that realizes that the team plays in BUFFALO. An OC that realizes that we're looking at 6 maybe 8 weeks up acceptable weather then it will turn to crap. The last quarter of the season will likely be played in horrid conditions.

We need an OC that knows how to establish a running game. An OC that understands the nuances of an effective running game and one that doesn't implement and offense that opposing defenses can immediately decode.

I want someone to gather the offensive line together and make them understand that they're going actually going to have to run block and that they'd better learn to drive people into the ground.

:wallbash:

I think Schonert has called several good games, this year. He seems to fall apart in the Red Zone and in clutch short yardage situations, or situations such as those that produced yesterday's debacle.

As a 1st year OC, learning the ropes, I thought Schonert was performing at about a "C-" level. Fairchild, for most of last season, performed close to an "F".

Now, in late 2007, Fairchild was doing a decent job. But, that all seemed to change, last year.

To me, Schonert started out great, but around the time that Trent flamed out, so too did the game plan. I am not sure which came first...now Schonerts game plan is pretty indistinguisable from Fairchilds. You have to wonder, what is it that Fairchild, and now Schonert (who doesn't seem from the same conservative backround as Fairchild) sees, or doesn't see, in this offense that makes them call such crazy things. Both guys seem to have a tendancy to want to do unconventional things when they are least called for, and be as conservative as Chuck Knox, when they need a jolt of energy. I really don't get the impression that either of these guys has/had a ton of faith in the offensive talent that has been assembled.

Guest dog14787
To me, Schonert started out great, but around the time that Trent flamed out, so too did the game plan. I am not sure which came first...now Schonerts game plan is pretty indistinguisable from Fairchilds. You have to wonder, what is it that Fairchild, and now Schonert (who doesn't seem from the same conservative backround as Fairchild) sees, or doesn't see, in this offense that makes them call such crazy things. Both guys seem to have a tendancy to want to do unconventional things when they are least called for, and be as conservative as Chuck Knox, when they need a jolt of energy. I really don't get the impression that either of these guys has/had a ton of faith in the offensive talent that has been assembled.

Our offense is so far off from what the original OC's intentions were it doesn't surprise me a bit that it doesn't work properly. Towards the end of the 06 season, we started looking like we had something going, then came back in 07 and its almost like Fairchild became conservative and ditched the way the offense was originaly intended. Fairchild is no better an OC than Shonert and the more you change the original offense, the more of a mess you end up with. In other words, the added wrinkles just made things worse in my opinion and if you don't know what your doing, don't do it. :wallbash: (Fairchild and Shonert)

Guest dog14787
How about looking at the talent and realizing the Bills offense is just not that good at all.

Or is that not an excuse but fact so we cannot use that one?

Lack of talent or lack of experience? We have one of the youngest teams in the NFL.

here here