The call WAS NOT that bad

TheBlackMamba

The call was not that bad. They were trying to win the game. The whole concept of calling the play time because there was 2:06 left was acutally a good idea. If its incomplete the clock is going to stop anyway and if it works then can run some more time off the clock.

The problem with the call is who they entrusted to execute the play. Everyone in the stadium, watching the game and basically anyone who has ever seen Losman play knows he is a turnover machine. Losman botched the play not the coaches. All he had to do was not fumble or throw a pick and he did. If the play is successful everyone is sitting here saying "oh what a great call". But i guess that comes with the territory.

In the Cleveland game the coaches were criticized for being too conservative on the final drive with 3 straight runs. Now, when they are agressive and playingto win the game and not playing to lose it they are killed for it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The call was not that bad. They were trying to win the game. The whole concept of calling the play time because there was 2:06 left was acutally a good idea. If its incomplete the clock is going to stop anyway and if it works then can run some more time off the clock.

The problem with the call is who they entrusted to execute the play. Everyone in the stadium, watching the game and basically anyone who has ever seen Losman play knows he is a turnover machine. Losman botched the play not the coaches. All he had to do was not fumble or throw a pick and he did. If the play is successful everyone is sitting here saying "oh what a great call". But i guess that comes with the territory.

In the Cleveland game the coaches were criticized for being too conservative on the final drive with 3 straight runs. Now, when they are agressive and playingto win the game and not playing to lose it they are killed for it.

The call was bad exactly because of who was on the field to make the play. At that time in the game Marshawn is your playmaker. The guy was playing with heart and the o-line was juiced. give him the ball and let him play. Start to establish your identity as a team that can pound when it needs to. Instead you try to get cute and break the backs of your roster.

I agree and I say that having preferred to see Lynch get the ball on 2nd down. But I've seen FAR worse play calls. The Cleveland game being a good example. It's like any other play. When it works it genius. When it doesn't it's stupid.

GO BILLS!!!

They knew Losman was in at quarterback, correct? And still called the play anyway? That's on them, then.

It won't be popular on this board -- which is full of bitter, disgruntled Bills fans -- but everything you said in this post is 100% correct.

No offense, but I think that you are totally wrong. The difference between being aggressive when you are down 2 points and being conservative when you are up by 3 is night and day. When you are up by 3 points, you run out the clock. If it were 2nd and 10, it would be a different story. But, when you are running the ball at a dominant pace and you have 5 yard to go in order to win the game, you don't call that play. A play action roll out is risky no matter what, it is even riskier when your QB is known for having zero pocket presence and for fumbling the football.

To say IF a play were successful is pointless in this context. Even if he completed the pass there would have been people saying it was a risky call. Lets also note that the news cycle of this story has been more "What a stupid playcall" than it has been "The Jets pull off a miracle".

If you can't trust your QB to run a play like that, then maybe he shouldn't be in the game on the roster in the first place?

Although I wasn't among them, I think that's what a substantial number of TBDers were arguing during last offseason ...

That play is a perfect example of what is wrong with NFL coaching today.

Sure, you can say that due to the 2 min warning you could attempt to throw a pass because the clock would stop anyway. That is the exact type of over-thinking that occurs when you lock 15 guys in a film room for 80 hours per week. These coaches should do themselves a favor and get some sleep. You are in the lead w/ 2 min left. Do not try and get cute, just make the obvious call.

Totally disagree, and comparing it to the Cleveland game is apples and oranges. In the Cleveland game, they needed to be agressive to get the ball in better (closer) position since it was going to be a long FG in windy conditions. In yesterday's game they had the lead and just needed to run out the clock, which any pop warner coach will do by RUNNING the ball.

And I dont buy the "clock is going to stop anyway" argument. Lets say JP threw the ball a little quicker (which would have been a better result) and it fell incomplete and the clock wound up stopping at 2:01, well, they just gave the Jets an additional timeout.

Nope, calling a pass when all you need to do is run off time is risky and just plain dumb.

I was in a bar with a roomful of people that were complaining all day that they kept Losman in the pocket rather than roll him out. So they roll him out, and look what happened. Just goes to show what fans know.

Yeah, the better play would have been a run. DJ should be fired just for that. But come on, folks, Losman should take at least 51 percent of the blame on that - he's gotta know to take care of the football.

Jauron called a play for the second string QB to roll out with the primary target being a journeyman FB with three career receptions.

On the road.

In a game you were winning.

With 2:06 left.

In a game where the RB had 120 rushing yards.

And it was 2nd and 5.

Egregiously bad call. Jauron should be covered in tar and there should be chickens all over WNY shivering in the cold.

Schopp's argument from last night ... but one of these is not like the other.

Cleveland: down two, at the 34-yard line, making it a 51-yard FG (at the very edge of Lindell's range, no matter what was said in the postgame press conference).

New Jersey: Up three, trying to run out the clock.

In the Monday night game, it was imperative to try to get as many yards as possible. They didn't, and Lindell missed a kick that was longer than it needed to be. Yesterday, what was the worst that could have happened if Lynch had been stuffed on both second and third downs? A punt from the Bills' 20, inside the two-minute warning and after forcing the Jets to use at least one of their timeouts? Considering that the Jets had ZERO first downs in the fourth quarter, even though the D has given up its share of late-game drives this season, that's still an acceptable risk.

If Brett Favre puts together a two-minute-drill to beat you, that's one thing ... and far preferable to literally handing them the game.

Nope. Watch this video, first provided by Lori. http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=plays-defense.

Lostman was hit with 2:02 or 2:03 left on the clock. Even IF he threw the ball away (still to much to ask of the 5th year veteran who professes he's still learning from his mistakes) right before he got hit, there would have been at least 2:03 or 2:04 left on the clock. Then we would have run on third and hit the two minute warning, without the Jets having to waste ANY of their timeouts.

Now, if we had run on 2nd and 5 (after Lynch had run four plays for 17 yards and the last for 5), we would have probably got a few more and hit the two min warning. Third down, even if we didn't get the first, we'd still force the Jets to call their 2nd timeout.

They'd probably get the ball back with 1:45 left and 1 timeout on their 30 yard line....all the pressure on Brett Favre and an offense that hadn't got a first down the ENTIRE FOURTH QUARTER! As miserable a game that was, when was the last time our defense didn't allow a team to get a first down in a quarter...on top of that, IN THE FOURTH!

Another thing I noticed on this drive: JP Lostman, game clock extraordinaire, usually lets the clock go down to 1 or 2 seconds on every other play (if he even gets the ball off), allowing the defense to know precisely when they should get off their blocks on every down. But on the last drive, instead of milking every second of the play clock that was ticking down from 4 mins, 3 mins to 2 mins, he was calling plays with 5 or 6 seconds left on the clock. Inexplicable. If we had punted with under 2 mins and Favre had scored on them, I think this would have been the talk of the town today.

I agree and I say that having preferred to see Lynch get the ball on 2nd down. But I've seen FAR worse play calls. The Cleveland game being a good example. It's like any other play. When it works it genius. When it doesn't it's stupid.

GO BILLS!!!

It won't be popular on this board -- which is full of bitter, disgruntled Bills fans -- but everything you said in this post is 100% correct.

This was me last year and the year before and the year before and before and....

I can keep going and as a fan I will but look at this post below and see why this was a bad call. That call is fine with a competent QB, JP is not even close. Take a step back and see what a mess THESE Bills are in, just like the "do-overs" before them.

If you can't trust your QB to run a play like that, then maybe he shouldn't be in the game in the first place?

Cleveland: down two, at the 34-yard line, making it a 51-yard FG (at the very edge of Lindell's range, no matter what was said in the postgame press conference).

In the Monday night game, it was imperative to try to get as many yards as possible. They didn't, and Lindell missed a kick that was longer than it needed to be. Yesterday, what was the worst that could have happened if Lynch had been stuffed on both second and third downs? A punt from the Bills' 20, inside the two-minute warning and after forcing the Jets to use at least one of their timeouts? Considering that the Jets had ZERO first downs in the fourth quarter, even though the D has given up its share of late-game drives this season, that's still an acceptable risk.

If Brett Favre puts together a two-minute-drill to beat you, that's one thing ... and far preferable to literally handing them the game.

That is a perfect summation, and the type of thinking that one would imagine a professional coaching staff goes through....

If you can't trust your QB to run a play like that, then maybe he shouldn't be in the game in the first place?

The thing is they DID trust him to run that play (which is why it was called). The problem with the whole situation was the execution of the play.

In fact, the WORST thing that could have happened handing the ball off to Lynch happened anyways. I'm aware of all JP's follies, but you guys make it sound like running a bootleg actually increases a team's chances of falling victim to the ole sack/fumble/TD return play.

I honestly think the sheer calamity of the play has people thinking the call was a lot worse.

And for the record- everyone's blaming JP, and hardly ANYONE is mentioning what a complete boner Peters was on the play, that it was HIS missed block that got the thing off rails to begin with.