Ramblings

K-9

I've questioned Lynch's status as an elite runner in this league. And for good reason. Not very elusive, no blazing speed, tries to get too fancy, etc. But I will go on record right now as saying that when he makes up his mind to just hit the hole I am reminded of Earl Campbell. Yes. Earl friggin' Campbell. Not in terms of breakaway ability like Campbell, but the sheer power of his leg drive and his WILL. I've NEVER seen a runner with more heart. Never. And that kind of heart is contagious. And OLmen LOVE to block for guys like this. So, Marshawn, I apologize.

Say what you want about our great collapse but this season was lost on turnovers more than anything else. More than coaching blunders, more than lack of talent, more than getting beat by the other team. The silver lining in that is that it's correctable. What would be harder to take is if we weren't in position to win the most of the games we've lost. But we were.

The play call. While I would have given it to Lynch at that juncture simply because he was hitting them like a blunt instrument all day and it had taken it's toll, I don't put too much blame on the coaches. A play action with MORE than 2 minutes to go is NOT a bad call BECAUSE of what Lynch was doing. That play is a high percentage play when executed correctly and part if me likes the fact the coaches went against their tendencies. The blitzing CB IS JP's responsibility to read, Peters' inability to match quickness with a CB notwithstanding. JP couldn't have fu*ked it up any worse than he did, though. 1.) He dropped WAY too deep before rolling out giving the CB a better angle and more time to get to him. 2.) While McIntyre did a sh*t job in his own right, it's on JP to make the read quicker and simply run the bootleg it's designed to be IF the FB is not open. Instead, JP WAITED for the play to develop. I won't pile on JP anymore than we have since he's come into the league but suffice to say this was the latest glaring example of his inability to be aware of the game situation and what's required at the time.

Although you could see the Washington run coming from a mile away at the end of the first half, Fewell made some decent adjustments. I like what we did to Favre and their passing game after the first half. We figured him out and our secondary and LBs did a pretty decent job. Of course Favre helped. A LOT.

I sincerely feel bad for JP. After saying he wanted to compile a highlight reel for prospective teams next year he ended up doing the exact opposite. Ouch. It was painful to watch.

GO BILLS!!!

JP couldn't have fu*ked it up any worse than he did, though. 1.) He dropped WAY to deep before rolling out giving the CB a better angle and more time to get to him. 2.) While McIntyre did a sh*t job in his own right, it's on JP to make the read quicker and simply run the bootleg it's designed to be IF the FB is not open. Instead, JP WAITED for the play to develop. I won't pile on JP anymore...

I'll pile on. JP blew it! The play call was questionable, but it's the QB's job to protect the ball. There was a moment when JP felt the contact from behind on his shoulder pads and he made a terrible decision. He should have decided to protect the ball and take the sack. Instead, he decided to get desperate about a meaningless dinky little pass to the FB. He kept trying to make the throw, allowing the ball to get knocked free. Stupid, careless, loser move!

JP blew this one. Period.

the only knock on Lynch that is valid is his number of dropped passes this season. however, at the same time, i think the bigger issue lies in "why are we dumping it off to Lynch almost every play and not hitting out WRs?"

if the offense was running well, his drops wouldnt be an issue because the ball would be going downfield like it was supposed to.

theres no reason, with Lynch and Jackson, that this tandem shouldnt be getting talked about like Tenn's and Carolina's running duos. theyre just not being used correctly, but that can be said for the offense in general.

Not sure why people question lynch's speed after he was the only player to run down the DB that pick-6'ed Trent. The problem is that he can never get into any open space to burst that speed.

I'm not saying he's slow. But he doesn't have the kind of breakaway speed that, when combined with his ability to break tackles, makes him a homerun threat every time he touches the ball. This is most evident when, instead of doing what he did yesterday and just hitting the hole, he bounces outside. Unlike OJ, Sanders, Peterson, etc., he doesn't have the speed to get to the corner on his own.

Glad he had the speed to chase a slower than average CB, while running WITHOUT the ball (big difference). Hell, the dude still scored so I guess Lynch didn't get there soon enough afterall.

GO BILLS!!!

The blitzing CB IS JP's responsibility to read, Peters' inability to match quickness with a CB notwithstanding. JP couldn't have fu*ked it up any worse than he did, though. 1.) He dropped WAY too deep before rolling out giving the CB a better angle and more time to get to him. 2.) While McIntyre did a sh*t job in his own right, it's on JP to make the read quicker and simply run the bootleg it's designed to be IF the FB is not open. Instead, JP WAITED for the play to develop. I won't pile on JP anymore than we have since he's come into the league but suffice to say this was the latest glaring example of his inability to be aware of the game situation and what's required at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

JP read the blitz.

He did not drop way too deep, he started running for the sideline immediately after the snap.

Jason Peters job was to stop the blitzing S, he did not even slow him down. Peters planted his feet and extended his arms, giving him no chance to engage the S.

It was a bad play call, they should have handed it to ML and been done with it. :rolleyes:

the only knock on Lynch that is valid is his number of dropped passes this season. however, at the same time, i think the bigger issue lies in "why are we dumping it off to Lynch almost every play and not hitting out WRs?"

if the offense was running well, his drops wouldnt be an issue because the ball would be going downfield like it was supposed to.

theres no reason, with Lynch and Jackson, that this tandem shouldnt be getting talked about like Tenn's and Carolina's running duos. theyre just not being used correctly, but that can be said for the offense in general.

If you play on a losing team you will not get recognition. Its that simple. Success fosters recognition.

The lack of a pass game has hurt him.

The O-Line has really come together and are playing superb. They are opening holes and Lynch is hitting them. Also, the Bills finally ran more to the outside and it yielded big returns. Lynch has been averaging better than 6 yards a carry the past two games.

He was a hero yesterday but Losman managed to find a way to take that away from us.

JP read the blitz.

He did not drop way too deep, he started running for the sideline immediately after the snap.

Jason Peters job was to stop the blitzing S, he did not even slow him down. Peters planted his feet and extended his arms, giving him no chance to engage the S.

It was a bad play call, they should have handed it to ML and been done with it. :rolleyes:

LOS is the 27 yard line. JP drops to the 20 before he even THINKS about rolling out. If that's running for the sideline "immediately after the snap" then I'd be interested in what your definition of a 'delayed' rollout is.

JP didn't even glance at the blitzer off the corner pre-snap. Plus the CB did a nice job disquising it. Peters did whiff big time but the CB had a running start, timed his blitz perfectly and a 340 lb OT is no match for the quickness of a CB. That said, Peters' technique was terrible. It usually is but he makes up for his bad technique with athleticism most of the time. Plus, I'll give credit to the Jets to call that blitz in that situation.

But back to JP. By the time JP takes a step toward the sideline he's at his 19 yard line and actually goes back to his 17 by the time Elam smacks him.

You may want to rewind the play a few times.

As for the call itself, it was ballsy but not risky. It's a high percentage play if executed properly by a QB who knows what he's doing. Like everyone else, I would have preferred Lynch to get the ball but given the fact there were still over 2 minutes left, and EVERYONE thought Lynch would get the ball, a play action isn't the worst thing to do. They went against their tendencies and I can live with that. Again, even though I would have preferred Lynch to get the ball as I said originally.

GO BILLS!!!

LOS is the 27 yard line. JP drops to the 20 before he even THINKS about rolling out. If that's running for the sideline "immediately after the snap" then I'd be interested in what your definition of a 'delayed' rollout is.

JP didn't even glance at the blitzer off the corner pre-snap. Plus the CB did a nice job disquising it. Peters did whiff big time but the CB had a running start, timed his blitz perfectly and a 340 lb OT is no match for the quickness of a CB. That said, Peters' technique was terrible. It usually is but he makes up for his bad technique with athleticism most of the time. Plus, I'll give credit to the Jets to call that blitz in that situation.

But back to JP. By the time JP takes a step toward the sideline he's at his 19 yard line and actually goes back to his 17 by the time Elam smacks him.

You may want to rewind the play a few times.

As for the call itself, it was ballsy but not risky. It's a high percentage play if executed properly by a QB who knows what he's doing. Like everyone else, I would have preferred Lynch to get the ball but given the fact there were still over 2 minutes left, and EVERYONE thought Lynch would get the ball, a play action isn't the worst thing to do. They went against their tendencies and I can live with that. Again, even though I would have preferred Lynch to get the ball as I said originally.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't word that right, I meant he never set his feet, he dropped back and started running from the blitz. He did see the blitzer coming.

I watched it 4 times last night. And I will watch it again at lunch time. And I will guarantee that Jason Peters whiffs each and every time.

He gets paid to block, and he didn't.

I didn't word that right, I meant he never set his feet, he dropped back and started running from the blitz. He did see the blitzer coming.

I watched it 4 times last night. And I will watch it again at lunch time. And I will guarantee that Jason Peters whiffs each and every time.

He gets paid to block, and he didn't.

No doubt Peters missed. Big time. He gets 1% of the blame though.

A blitz off the corner on the side AWAY from the rollout shouldn't even be a factor if your QB executes the play better. That play is designed as an option for the QB to either hit his FB quickly or keep it. But he has to start the rollout IMMEDIATELY after the play fake (3-5 yards) otherwise the play fake is rendered useless. Instead JP drops an inexplicable 7 yards giving Elam more time and a better angle to take advantage of Peters' fu*kup. The Jets made a good defensive call and blew up the play quickly but the worst that should have happened is JP takes a sack for a 2-3 yard loss, the clock ticks down to under 2 minutes and we have a 3rd and 7 or 8 and the Jets have to burn at least one more TO before we punt, if indeed we don't convert on 3rd down.

Peters' whiff aside, there is NO excuse for a 5th year QB to make that kind of decision on that kind of play in that kind of game situation.

GO BILLS!!!

If you play on a losing team you will not get recognition. Its that simple. Success fosters recognition.

yeah, i understand that. my point was that the coaches are not putting them in a situation where their talents are best used and therefore get us wins and therefore get them recognized.

WRONG I just rewatched it.

JP not only recognized the blitz, he points right at the safety. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to link me to the replay that shows JP pointing? I'm reviewing the one Lori linked from NFL.com. If you have a shot of JP actually pointing at Elam pre-snap I'd like to see it. It would shed some light on other players and their respective responsibilities if JP alerted them to the blitz off the left corner. It was a helluva blitz though, timed perfectly and Elam had a running start.

Ironically, if JP DID point to Elam pre-snap and he actually DID recognize the blitz pre-snap, it makes his poor execution even that much poorer. For too many reasons to list.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not saying he's slow. But he doesn't have the kind of breakaway speed that, when combined with his ability to break tackles, makes him a homerun threat every time he touches the ball. This is most evident when, instead of doing what he did yesterday and just hitting the hole, he bounces outside. Unlike OJ, Sanders, Peterson, etc., he doesn't have the speed to get to the corner on his own.

Glad he had the speed to chase a slower than average CB, while running WITHOUT the ball (big difference). Hell, the dude still scored so I guess Lynch didn't get there soon enough afterall.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Lynch has the pure speed. The problem is (in addition to the blocking in front of him) he lacks the ability to make people miss. I think the biggest weakness in his style is his footwork/agility. The first guy almost never brings him down, true. But he doesn't leave linebackers grasping at air...they might not be able to tackle him, but they slow him down enough that there are 3 or 4 other guys ready to pounce on him.

Can everyone accept that while a play action pass may have been a good idea, the bills coaching staff DID NOT CALL A PLAY ACTION PASS. A roll out is a roll out, and is not play action. Play action may have worked. A run may have worked. But a roll out with JP Losman WILL NEVER WORK. Everyone who has seen him play knew that (execpt the Bills coaches apparently)

I think Lynch has the pure speed. The problem is (in addition to the blocking in front of him) he lacks the ability to make people miss. I think the biggest weakness in his style is his footwork/agility. The first guy almost never brings him down, true. But he doesn't leave linebackers grasping at air...they might not be able to tackle him, but they slow him down enough that there are 3 or 4 other guys ready to pounce on him.

That is an absolute joke of a statement. Have you every watched him run? Not make people miss? I hope that I am just not detecting your sarcasm. Making people miss has been his second best asset as a running back behind only how hard he runs. Maybe you didn't see his 35 yarder on Sunday when he made the entire Jet LB core wiff, then broke about 7 tackles. Go back and find his TD catch vrs the Browns. o wait, here it is for you, 20 seconds in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adxy0HAkyHI...feature=related. He avoids 7 defenders with a chance to bring him down, 3 would have tackled him for no gain. Your observations are laughable.

and jsut incase you needed more evidence, I couldn't find better quality but I remeber Lynch breaking 5 or 6 sets of ankles on this play.

Can everyone accept that while a play action pass may have been a good idea, the bills coaching staff DID NOT CALL A PLAY ACTION PASS. A roll out is a roll out, and is not play action. Play action may have worked. A run may have worked. But a roll out with JP Losman WILL NEVER WORK. Everyone who has seen him play knew that (execpt the Bills coaches apparently)

Oh, it was a play fake all right. Just not much of one. But he did play fake to Lynch and NOBODY bit. Secondly, JP should have rolled IMMEDIATELY AFTER the (half-hearted) play fake to Lynch. But for some reason that only he can explain, JP decided to take a 7 yard drop BEFORE he thought of rolling out. Now, even if he HAD rolled when he should have it would have been a 2-3 yard loss because the Jets had already blown up the play but it would have gotten the clock to under 2 minutes with a 3rd down coming up and the Jets forced to use another time out.

The only other explanation I can think of for the 7 yard drop was that McIntyre was NOT the primary receiver on that play, it was not designed as a rollout and JP just didn't see his primary open. In that case he just should have fallen down.

Not that it matters.

GO BILLS!!!