Watching SNL tonight, and I have a question

The Dean

Is there anyone (in professional showbiz) less talented than this guy? Even with the obvious use of a modulator...

T-Pain & Lil' Wayne. Both use voice modulators on all their songs and from what I can tell have no discernible talent that I can recognize. I've never been a big fan of Kanye but to his credit, it's actually his voice on all his songs prior to this one.

Kanye is not a musician/performer, he is a producer who has fallen into the performer role. His talent is producing catchy songs that are well-suited for radio.

I would say the same thing about Puffy. The difference is, when Combs decides to perform, he brings talent on stage, so that it is acceptable. Kayne's horrible vocal performance, in front of a bad video, while lunging around the stage with the grace of Lurch, was pitiful.

T-Pain & Lil' Wayne. Both use voice modulators on all their songs and from what I can tell have no discernible talent that I can recognize. I've never been a big fan of Kanye but to his credit, it's actually his voice on all his songs prior to this one.

I know the name Lil Wayne, but have never heard him (I know..tons of Grammys). T-Pain can't sing a note, but at least they modulate him to be in-key (although he sounds like a robot).

What passes, now, for talent, is disgusting.

I know the name Lil Wayne, but have never heard him (I know..tons of Grammys). T-Pain can't sing a note, but at least they modulate him to be in-key (although he sounds like a robot).

What passes, now, for talent, is disgusting.

well, what pisses me off is the fact that people enjoy lyrics like:

Got money (yeah)

And you know it

Take it out your pocket and show it (then)

Throw it (fly)

This a way (fly)

Thata way (fly)

This a way (fly)

Thata way

Really people should hate this guy for bragging about his wealth, like most of the other rappers out there. The great irony is that the people who listen this crap are generally poorer.

As for the talent pool at the moment, the manufactured acts do too well at the moment over the really talents groups. I will agree the first song that Kanye performed last nite was a horrible performance, whereas his second song was better. However, his performance came nowhere near that of Coldplay and the Killers earlier in the season where they were allowed to play an extra song or two on the show.

Tbqh, the really talented rappers are forced to do crappy mainstream tunes to bring in the radioplay, where their best songs tend to not make the radio.

You're completely wrong about T-Pain. That guy can rap and sing, and he's not dependent on a voice modulator. He performed live on SNL a couple weeks back and sounded better than he did on the album (in this case, Ludacris' album). Using a voice modulator to record a song is alright (although it's suddenly being way overdone) but you should be able to re-create that sound live (which Kanye couldn't).

That said, you're completely right about Lil' Wayne. He's completely terrible. His lyrics are meaningless. His attempt to "sing" on that T-Pain sound was completely atrocious. And he can't rap either, because no one ever told him that you have to actually open your mouth to rap. He's the worst hip hop star I've ever seen and he's just been rewarded with 8 Grammy nominations. Nice work, music industry. :devil:

You're completely wrong about T-Pain. That guy can rap and sing, and he's not dependent on a voice modulator. He performed live on SNL a couple weeks back and sounded better than he did on the album (in this case, Ludacris' album). Using a voice modulator to record a song is alright (although it's suddenly being way overdone) but you should be able to re-create that sound live (which Kanye couldn't).

That said, you're completely right about Lil' Wayne. He's completely terrible. His lyrics are meaningless. His attempt to "sing" on that T-Pain sound was completely atrocious. And he can't rap either, because no one ever told him that you have to actually open your mouth to rap. He's the worst hip hop star I've ever seen and he's just been rewarded with 8 Grammy nominations. Nice work, music industry. :devil:

You know they use voice modulation in a lot of live shows now, with the less talented singers.

You know they use voice modulation in a lot of live shows now, with the less talented singers.

Yes, but if you can't sing, voice modulation isn't going to help you. Maybe in a studio where they can mess with your vocals all they want after recording, but not in a live performance.

Yes, but if you can't sing, voice modulation isn't going to help you. Maybe in a studio where they can mess with your vocals all they want after recording, but not in a live performance.

As I understand it, in many pop act live performances (Ricky Martin, Spears, etc) they use a mix of the live recording playing along with the modulated voice of the live singer. The blend is fine, for most concert halls, as the recorded singing really takes over the sound. Think of it as "enhanced" lip-syncing.

As I understand it, in many pop act live performances (Ricky Martin, Spears, etc) they use a mix of the live recording playing along with the modulated voice of the live singer. The blend is fine, for most concert halls, as the recorded singing really takes over the sound. Think of it as "enhanced" lip-syncing.

I've noticed that too. A lot of singers are "singing along with themselves" when they perform live, and it's usually pretty easy to spot because the song sounds exactly like the album version or whatever.

I saw Ludacris and T-Pain do the same song a couple weeks back on SNL and on Letterman, and it was slightly different each time (and different from the album version each time). Both guys sounded awesome both times, so I'm confident saying that T-Pain isn't a product of voice modulation. He uses it, but the guy can sing and he puts on a good show. I don't know what to say about everyone else.

I've noticed that too. A lot of singers are "singing along with themselves" when they perform live, and it's usually pretty easy to spot because the song sounds exactly like the album version or whatever.

I saw Ludacris and T-Pain do the same song a couple weeks back on SNL and on Letterman, and it was slightly different each time (and different from the album version each time). Both guys sounded awesome both times, so I'm confident saying that T-Pain isn't a product of voice modulation. He uses it, but the guy can sing and he puts on a good show. I don't know what to say about everyone else.

OK, then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UkXwKbn3Gs

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;oq=t+pain+can

Bingo.

Ashlee Simpson certainly is another talentless hack, and she was exposed on SNL. But, she is far from the first (or the last) to lip-sync, and/or use electronic aids on that show. She took all the heat, for all these lame acts.

To Britney's (and some others) defense, it must be hard to dance like that while singing...no one should expect that it would sound normal...or good. But, that's the bill of goods they are selling, and it seems like an entire generation is buying, with their eyes and ears closed.

An audio clip from the mixing board from a concert of the younger Iglesias circulated a few years ago. He sounded horrible like a yelping dog. Apparently those acts that rely on elaborate dancing routines just yell the lyrics while out of the breath and in motion.

I don't know how they do it, but some how a cleaned up version is transmitted into the arena.

Howard Stern challenged Iglesias to come on air and prove he could sing. He came on the show and sang accompanied with an acoustic guitar. Great sport and sounded good on a small scale, though don't know how any of these 'performers' pull it off on a real stage.

He's the worst hip hop star I've ever seen and he's just been rewarded with 8 Grammy nominations. Nice work, music industry. :w00t:

This was most unfortunate. Common, who I think is the best rap artist to come out in years, deserves much more credit but since he doesn't sell as many records (?) as Lil Wayne, nobody knows who he is. His style is much more old school but he didn't refer to his johnson as a piece of candy so he sucks. :rolleyes:

BTW, Framing Hanley does a much betterversion of