A Few Thoughts About The Game

Duke Preston hiking the ball, when JP was in the shotgun position, pretty much sums up this year.

As usual Dean...right on the money. I know center is a tough position but yikes. Is there that much padding back there that you can't determine if another man's hands are in the vicinity? I realize the possibilities for tasteless jokes are endless here but the question is a serious one. That play was a joke. :sick:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point Cat, I really do. It's deeper then just that though. We as fans have grown to love this team, raised on the Bills. If we chose to not support our team then we lose them to another city. So as fans we are put in a "catch-22" if you will. We love the Bills and want them to stay in Buff but why shouldn't they do their part to keep us happy? It's as if they're saying "We're getting payed anyway, screw the fans, if we lose we lose". You, me and the rest of us do not "deserve" that.

I understand that. And please know that rolling 10 beers deep, after a pathetic loss, the point was made with less tact than I would have otherwise employed. I'm totally aware of the intangibles you allude to. It's not like I'm completely oblivious to the Bills' 50 year history. I get it. But still. In the modern day, you get what you pay for. And for folks to assert what they "deserve" seems to only take into account said intangibles, and not everything else which affords an American city an NFL team to begin with.

So you're not aware of Brandon's background then?

Yeah, I'm full of it all right...HA!

Please, then, prove to me that the Bills ticket prices are COMPLETELY objective.

As far as I know, the prices are not "objective" (whatever the hell that means), nor are they PRECISELY set...there is very little precision in the calculations. But, I believe you mean that the teams sell at the highest price point they can (according to their very inexact calculations), and still sell the out seats. If that isn't how they set the ticket prices, then Ralph needs to revamp that aspect of the front office, as he is losing important money.

As far as I know, the prices are not "objective" (whatever the hell that means), nor are they PRECISELY set...there is very little precision in the calculations. But, I believe you mean that the teams sell at the highest price point they can (according to their very inexact calculations), and still sell the out seats. If that isn't how they set the ticket prices, then Ralph needs to revamp that aspect of the front office, as he is losing important money.

Well, let's assume that Ralph isn't completely clueless when it comes to earning the highest buck possible. In doing so, we must assume that the tickets are sold at the highest feasible price.

The ball hit him in the hands/arms/chest. What other position do the "coaches" need to put him in?

Oh, gee, that was all that happened the past 7 games? The balls hit our 10 other guys in the hands/arms/chest b/c our coaches put them in that position? Shoot, I must have been watching the wrong game. Your insight into our problems is....well...I dont know what it is.

So Marshawn dropping the ball on 3 and 9 is Jauron's fault?

May be they should have run on first and goal. But it's the COACH'S fault that Losman threw it RIGHT to the defender?

C'mon, people! If you're so hung up on the importance of the coach, then you should be at arms over the fact that the PLAYERS make 2-3 times as much money as Jauron!

Apparently, you didn't see our opponent today. The Dolphins have significantly less talent than the Bills. They beat the Bills all day with a lineup full of rookies and leftovers from their dreadful team of last season. Their coaches get production because they demand it. As they said on the telecast, at first Joey Porter didn't like the idea that he was playing for his job everyday........but now his career has been revived and they've gone from 1-15 to 8-5. Who'd have thought coaching could bring out the best in players? Or create synergy? So, yeah, in some part dropping passes on 3rd and 9 IS the coaches fault. Or running routes short. Any number of failed plays fall back on the coaching, especially this late in the season.

And yes, we have long been up in arms about the coaching. And with good cause. Ralph's cheapness with regard to hiring management is very old news. That said, Jauron didn't even deserve the job, let alone a big paycheck. This job should be given to a winner and they should be paid commensurate to other winners in the league.

Yeah, you do. Turns out they hire marketing representatives that price the tickets PRECISELY where they can afford to sell them. Seriously, do you know anything about "business?"

I know that "marketing executives" is slang terminology for people that started out as real businessmen (as you say) and couldn't hack it.

Oh, gee, that was all that happened the past 7 games? The balls hit our 10 other guys in the hands/arms/chest b/c our coaches put them in that position? Shoot, I must have been watching the wrong game. Your insight into our problems is....well...I dont know what it is.

Okay, point taken. JP looked like a deer in headlights today. The one play that he made, despite fumbling, recovering, and scrambling, bounced off Marshawn's chest. It was on a 3 and 9 and a crucial moment in the game- in fact, in a game as close ast today's, ANY 3rd down play is a huge one.

I was not at today's game, so I can't tell you how plays were developing. I went to last week's game and made it a point to report what I saw that went un-noticed by the TV cameras.

Apparently, you didn't see our opponent today. The Dolphins have significantly less talent than the Bills. They beat the Bills all day with a lineup full of rookies and leftovers from their dreadful team of last season. Their coaches get production because they demand it. As they said on the telecast, at first Joey Porter didn't like the idea that he was playing for his job everyday........but now his career has been revived and they've gone from 1-15 to 8-5. Who'd have thought coaching could bring out the best in players? Or create synergy? So, yeah, in some part dropping passes on 3rd and 9 IS the coaches fault. Or running routes short. Any number of failed plays fall back on the coaching, especially this late in the season.

And yes, we have long been up in arms about the coaching. And with good cause. Ralph's cheapness with regard to hiring management is very old news. That said, Jauron didn't even deserve the job, let alone a big paycheck. This job should be given to a winner and they should be paid commensurate to other winners in the league.

Honestly, this rhetoric about "coaches demanding results" can't be substantiated by 99/100 posters on this board, so I'm going to take it with a grain of salt, knowing that you don't know SQUAT about what the Miami coaches say or demand from their players, just like you don't have a clue as to what goes on in the Bills' locker room.

All I can see is players not making plays. I see them missing tackles, dropping passes, wiffing on blocks, and missing the open receiver. At some point in time, the coaches have to put the players on the field and trust they'll make plays.

If you're going to give me the "they shut down and won't play hard for Jauron" excuse, then I think that's equally BS. It's THEIR JOB AND THEY GET PAID LOTS OF MONEY TO DO IT. At some point in time, players have to be held accountable for the mechanical errors they make. They're professionals, they're big boys, they can handle it.

Honestly, no. The Bills have had may be 10 successful seasons in the last 40. Fans have a choice as to who they support, whereas coaches and players do not. Blame it on Ralph, if you must. But to say you "deserve" a better team because you sit out in the cold is nonsense. Green Bay excluded (publicly owned team- established prior to said ownership being illegal)- comparatively small cities don't "deserve" an NFL team. Face it, the Bills had a good run in the 90's, but the rest of their history has been marred by mediocrity (at best).

Here's a list of cities bigger than Buffalo that don't have an NFL team:

1. San Antonio
  2. San Jose
  3. Columbus
  4. Austin
  5. Fort Worth
  6. Memphis
  7. Charlotte
  8. El Paso
  9. Las Vegas
  10. Lousiville
  11. Portland
  12. Oklahoma City
  13. Tuscon
  14. Albequerque
  15. Fresno
  16. Long Beach
  17. Sacramento
  18. Mesa
  19. Virginia Beach
  20. Omaha
  21. Tulsa
  22. Colorado Springs
  23. Raleigh
  24. Honolulu
  25. Arlington
  26. Wichita
  27. Santa Ana
  28. Anaheim
  29. Bakersfield
  30. Aurora
  31. Toledo
  32. Riverside
  33. Stockton
  34. Corpus Cristi
  35. Newark
  36. Anchorage
  37. Lexington
  38. St. Paul

[/quote

Since when does size of the city matter to have a team? Oh let me guess....there must be an NFL rule. And FYI...St Paul is part of the minneapolis metro and fort worth part of Dallas Metro as Corpus is part of Houston market. Charlotte has a team! Dude you are totally lost...go smoke another....um san jose is part of san fran area. And the list goes on and on.

Okay, point taken. JP looked like a deer in headlights today. The one play that he made, despite fumbling, recovering, and scrambling, bounced off Marshawn's chest. It was on a 3 and 9 and a crucial moment in the game- in fact, in a game as close ast today's, ANY 3rd down play is a huge one.

I was not at today's game, so I can't tell you how plays were developing. I went to last week's game and made it a point to report what I saw that went un-noticed by the TV cameras.

Royal dropped one too....but drops happen every game. Our problems run too deep...and our red zone offense is the first place to start. I thought after the past couple weeks 'throwing' within the 5 yard line instead of running Marshawn (and turning it over, or settling for a FG), might have been reversed...but 1st and goal from the 3 or 5 or whatever today, and we throw again? ML has knack for the end zone...and he has knack for getting the tough yards...drives me crazy.

I hate the 3 year coaching carousels we do, but our team is so uninspired and unprepared. CB has some very interesting 'hints' in his gameday blog i just read....he was semi back door attacking/blaming DJ for his lack of adjustments, open to change, and willingness to listen to suggestions from coaches/players.

Since when does size of the city matter to have a team? Oh let me guess....there must be an NFL rule. And FYI...St Paul is part of the minneapolis metro and fort worth part of Dallas Metro as Corpus is part of Houston market. Charlotte has a team! Dude you are totally lost...go smoke another....um san jose is part of san fran area. And the list goes on and on.

Well, San Jose is about 50 miles from the bay area, take the rest of them out and you've still got more than 30 cities. Doesn't really negate my point.

The POINT that you seemed to have missed: despite 50 years of up and down (mostly down) history, the citizens of Buffalo, aren't even REMOTELY deserving of an NFL team. The city is not what it was when it was given a team, and even though they pay for (the cheapest) seats, and sit in the cold (just like a dozen other teams' fans), the team hasn't done jack crap since the 90's, and did very little prior to that. So, when it comes to "deserving" a team, I'm not exactly sure what you folks use in favor of your argument. Well, I do know, but it's not an argument that holds any water outside of Bills Country.

Royal dropped one too....but drops happen every game. Our problems run too deep...and our red zone offense is the first place to start. I thought after the past couple weeks 'throwing' within the 5 yard line instead of running Marshawn (and turning it over, or settling for a FG), might have been reversed...but 1st and goal from the 3 or 5 or whatever today, and we throw again? ML has knack for the end zone...and he has knack for getting the tough yards...drives me crazy.

I hate the 3 year coaching carousels we do, but our team is so uninspired and unprepared. CB has some very interesting 'hints' in his gameday blog i just read....he was semi back door attacking/blaming DJ for his lack of adjustments, open to change, and willingness to listen to suggestions from coaches/players.

Really? I think we need to start hiking the ball correctly... :sick:

So you're not aware of Brandon's background then?

Yeah, I'm full of it all right...HA!

Please, then, prove to me that the Bills ticket prices are COMPLETELY objective.

Kid, you truly don't know sh*t. You obviously aren't a regular at the stadium. People ask the ticket department about this stuff on a regular basis. As in, "Why is it my seat here costs the same as this seat THERE and everybody in my section would give their left nut to sit there instead?". The Bills simply have a general pricing scheme that is FAR from precise. Some of the best seats in the house are cheaper than bad ones. And I'll give you a link, 877BBTICKS. Call them and ask for yourself about their precision pricing. Maybe they will link you to the people who you think are there specifically for that purpose.