The solution to the Bills' problems.

thebandit27

There isn’t a whole lot more to the Bills’ complete decline since the mid-90’s than this:

They haven’t had a good quarterback since Jim Kelly retired.

That’s it. Nothing more to it. They had two playoff seasons with Flutie, but make no mistake, that team was never going to win the Superbowl. Flutie was an average QB. Exciting to watch, for sure, but certainly no better than average. Since then, their best season came in 2004 when Bledsoe lead the team to a 9-7 record, losing to the Pittsburgh backups in week 17 and failing to make the playoffs.

Fast forward to the present: No quarterback, no playoffs. Period. Unless you have a very good defense AND running game, and sometimes that’s not even enough. Want proof? Thought you'd never ask! Likely playoff teams:

AFC – Tennessee (#6 rushing offense and #5 defense), Baltimore (Flacco and #2 defense), NYJ (Favre and #4 run defense), Denver (Cutler), Pittsburgh (Big Ben and #1 defense), and Indy (Manning).

NFC – NYG (Manning, #1 rushing team, and #3 defense), Tampa Bay (Garcia and #4 defense), Carolina (Delhomme, #7 rushing offense, and #11 defense), Minnesota (#4 rushing offense and #8 defense), Arizona (Warner and #10 defense), and Dallas (Romo and #9 defense).

So there you have it. The fact of the matter is that the Bills have NO quarterback, and the defense and running game are not nearly dominant enough to compensate. Edwards isn't the answer, neither is Losman. You want to get better? Go get a quarterback. Period.

There isn’t a whole lot more to the Bills’ complete decline since the mid-90’s than this:

That’s it. Nothing more to it. They had two playoff seasons with Flutie, but make no mistake, that team was never going to win the Superbowl. Flutie was an average QB. Exciting to watch, for sure, but certainly no better than average. Since then, their best season came in 2004 when Bledsoe lead the team to a 9-7 record, losing to the Pittsburgh backups in week 17 and failing to make the playoffs.

Fast forward to the present: No quarterback, no playoffs. Period. Unless you have a very good defense AND running game, and sometimes that’s not even enough. Want proof? Thought you'd never ask! Likely playoff teams:

AFC – Tennessee (#6 rushing offense and #5 defense), Baltimore (Flacco and #2 defense), NYJ (Favre and #4 run defense), Denver (Cutler), Pittsburgh (Big Ben and #1 defense), and Indy (Manning).

NFC – NYG (Manning, #1 rushing team, and #3 defense), Tampa Bay (Garcia and #4 defense), Carolina (Delhomme, #7 rushing offense, and #11 defense), Minnesota (#4 rushing offense and #8 defense), Arizona (Warner and #10 defense), and Dallas (Romo and #9 defense).

So there you have it. The fact of the matter is that the Bills have NO quarterback, and the defense and running game are not nearly dominant enough to compensate. Edwards isn't the answer, neither is Losman. You want to get better? Go get a quarterback. Period.

Disagree...I think Edwards is the perfect QB for that type of team. And I don't think we're that far off defensively. We just need an edge rusher and another linebacker and I think we're pretty damn good on D. And we've got the pieces for a heavy rushing attack we just need to utilize them right.

Good detective work...so you are saying a top QB, dominating running game and dominating defense will get us a championship...lmao...in other words pretty much a dominating team in all aspects of the game as you just about mentioned every single component of a team...whole defense, running game, and the passing game with a great QB.

Good detective work...so you are saying a top QB, dominating running game and dominating defense will get us a championship...lmao...in other words pretty much a dominating team in all aspects of the game as you just about mentioned every single component of a team...whole defense, running game, and the passing game with a great QB.

Are you sure you read the right post before commenting? Is that what I said, that a team needs to dominate in all aspects of the game? Or did I say that you need a good QB, unless you can supplement the effectiveness of a good QB with a dominant defense and running game? I have to say that I'm a little concerned if you think that the teams I listed as likely playoff participants dominate in all aspects of the game. Or I suppose that it's possible you just don't watch football. Either way, I'll review it for you: The premise of my post is that you need either a good QB or a dominant defense and running game. I don't remember stating that it was a secret, or "detective work" as you so eloquently stated, just a simple statement of fact: Get a QB, or beef up the defense and running game to the point where they can dominate, or you won't win. Then I went on to back up that statement with the stats from this season's likely playoff field. If you don't agree with me, that's fine, but at least attempt to make some kind of compelling argument, statement of fact, or display of competent thought aside from dimwitted criticisms.

Can someone explain to me exactly who was the MVP candidate in the beginning of the season that also just about single-handedly brought us back in about 4 games?

Thanks...

If you think QB is the problem your !@#$ing clueless. You guys flip out over a couple picks but the fact of the matter is that Brady/Manning throw picks too and their teams get over it cuz theyre not coached by !@#$ing Jauron.

HEY, YOU KNOW HOW DIFFICULT IS TO FIND SOME ELITE QB ?? I THINK THERE IS ONLY ONE AT THIS TIME: PEYTON MANNING.

THEN WARNER, ROMO, ELI AND MAYBE CUTLER CAN BE PRETTY GOOD, THE OTHER QB YOU SAID ARE ONLY AVERAGE QB.

BUT A QB IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ON A FOOTBALL TEAM. JUST LOOK AT DREW BREES IN NEW ORLEANS, HE'S AMAZING, HE CAN THROW FOR 300 YDS AND 3 TD IN EVERY GAME BUT HE CAN'T DO EVERY THING IN THE TEAM AND THE SAINTS HAVE THE SAME 6-6 RECORD.

I WOULD PREFER A QB LIKE TRENT EDWARDS WITH A GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE AND A DECENT DEFENSE THAN AN ELITE QB ALONE.

THE ANSWER IS NOT TO BENCH EVERY QB WHEN HE DOES MISTAKES, THE ANSWER IN THIS BUFFALO BILLS IS TO GET A BETTER OL AND A GOOD DEFENSE.

I REALLY THINK THAT WE CAN BE A PLAYOFF TEAM WITH TRENT EDWARDS, OF COURSE HE WON'T HAVE MONSTER STATS BUT HE WOULD DO A GOOD TEAM WORK.

Can someone explain to me exactly who was the MVP candidate in the beginning of the season that also just about single-handedly brought us back in about 4 games?

Thanks...

If you think QB is the problem your !@#$ing clueless. You guys flip out over a couple picks but the fact of the matter is that Brady/Manning throw picks too and their teams get over it cuz theyre not coached by !@#$ing Jauron.

Wait, wait wait wait wait a minute.

Bare with me here as I go through your logic, I'm very confused...maybe you can make it make more sense...

He's f*cking clueless...because (and here is where I get lost I think)... our quarterback (I'm going to have to assume you're referring to Edwards here, unless you know about the franchise's future intentions through an inside source) was an mvp candidate in weeks 1-4, who is comparable to Brady and Manning...

...I want to believe you, I do. It's just that...well you see, while Trent may have looked average to slightly above average for roughly four weeks... but (and this might be where I tend to disagree with...everything you say) He literally displayed some of the worst quarterbacking I've ever seen in my entire life for the next 8.

I'm not agreeing with the guy who thinks our answer is a quarterback...but help me out here...you think that our quarterback is as good as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? Of course, the other guy is f*cking clueless...of course, I forgot about that.

Edwards has the "potential" to be a good QB, within the system. Eli didn't light things up his first 3 years. Last year he was 10-6, threw 20 picks, fumbled 13 times and .... well you know. Edwards hasn't even played 2 full seasons, yet. I'm just as disappointed as anyone to see him play so badly through a bunch of games, but in all honesty, it's still early in his career. Let's see if he can bounce back to the form he showed at the beginning of this season. If not, then that's another story.

Edwards has the "potential" to be a good QB, within the system. Eli didn't light things up his first 3 years. Last year he was 10-6, threw 20 picks, fumbled 13 times and .... well you know. Edwards hasn't even played 2 full seasons, yet. I'm just as disappointed as anyone to see him play so badly through a bunch of games, but in all honesty, it's still early in his career. Let's see if he can bounce back to the form he showed at the beginning of this season. If not, then that's another story.

Edwards has no potential, his arm is too weak, and he's way too injury prone. I can't remember the last time I heard of a qb pulling a groin muscle

Edwards has no potential, his arm is too weak, and he's way too injury prone. I can't remember the last time I heard of a qb pulling a groin muscle

I agree with most of what you said...but didn't two time superbowl winner John Elway suffer from pulling his groin often?

Anyone can certainly point to this or that and say we need a DE, a center, etc.

What it comes down to is LEADERSHIP! The leadership is just not there like it was with Kelly. Not only did Kelly posess physical skills to play the QB position, he was a leader. He DEMANDED effort from his teammates. This is the NFL. No one makes it to this level by being a total chump. These guys can all play the game. What distinguishes the winners from the losers is HEART, the desire to win, and leaders -- guys who simply refuse to accept mediocrity. Kelly was such a leader and THAT is what this team has lacked. Edwards may grow into that type of role, but I think it just came more naturally to Kelly.

They need guys who simply WANT to win and that is questionable with this group of players. It's a physical, mental, & emotional game. Gotta bring it all to win on Sunday and lay it all on the line every week.

Maybe he is trying to strengthen his arm by pulling his groin. B-)

Wait, wait wait wait wait a minute.

Bare with me here as I go through your logic, I'm very confused...maybe you can make it make more sense...

He's f*cking clueless...because (and here is where I get lost I think)... our quarterback (I'm going to have to assume you're referring to Edwards here, unless you know about the franchise's future intentions through an inside source) was an mvp candidate in weeks 1-4, who is comparable to Brady and Manning...

...I want to believe you, I do. It's just that...well you see, while Trent may have looked average to slightly above average for roughly four weeks... but (and this might be where I tend to disagree with...everything you say) He literally displayed some of the worst quarterbacking I've ever seen in my entire life for the next 8.

I'm not agreeing with the guy who thinks our answer is a quarterback...but help me out here...you think that our quarterback is as good as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? Of course, the other guy is f*cking clueless...of course, I forgot about that.

Your ridiculous. Obviously he's not a Brady/Manning, but hes not our problem either. He was definitely a top 5 player in the league for the first few weeks of the season. What you consider some of the worst quarterbacking youve ever seen in the league is taking so much other sh-- and just not paying attention to it. How was the playcalling? The run game? The receivers(no reed)? The defense?

Of course he digressed a little bit, and threw a few picks, but he's still one of our better players. Get rid of Dick and see what happens. I'd really be interested to see.

HEY, YOU KNOW HOW DIFFICULT IS TO FIND SOME ELITE QB ?? I THINK THERE IS ONLY ONE AT THIS TIME: PEYTON MANNING.

THEN WARNER, ROMO, ELI AND MAYBE CUTLER CAN BE PRETTY GOOD, THE OTHER QB YOU SAID ARE ONLY AVERAGE QB.

BUT A QB IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ON A FOOTBALL TEAM. JUST LOOK AT DREW BREES IN NEW ORLEANS, HE'S AMAZING, HE CAN THROW FOR 300 YDS AND 3 TD IN EVERY GAME BUT HE CAN'T DO EVERY THING IN THE TEAM AND THE SAINTS HAVE THE SAME 6-6 RECORD.

I WOULD PREFER A QB LIKE TRENT EDWARDS WITH A GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE AND A DECENT DEFENSE THAN AN ELITE QB ALONE.

THE ANSWER IS NOT TO BENCH EVERY QB WHEN HE DOES MISTAKES, THE ANSWER IN THIS BUFFALO BILLS IS TO GET A BETTER OL AND A GOOD DEFENSE.

I REALLY THINK THAT WE CAN BE A PLAYOFF TEAM WITH TRENT EDWARDS, OF COURSE HE WON'T HAVE MONSTER STATS BUT HE WOULD DO A GOOD TEAM WORK.

First off, I never mentioned the word "elite". I said "good", and Trent Edwards and JP Losman are not "good".

Now, onto your argument: Right, it's so difficult to find a good quarterback that teams like Miami, Baltimore, New England, Arizona, Green Bay, Chicago, and Atlanta all replaced their starters this season and have seen immediate returns. Immediate.

You contend that QB isn't the most important thing on a football team? Hah! Drew Brees is the exception, not the trend. Who are the top quarterbacks in the league? Honestly. In no particular order, you've got: Manning, Manning, Brady, Favre, Brees, Romo, Warner, Roethlisberger, and Rivers. I count 9 QB's on the list. Of those 9 teams, you have all 4 QBs that won each of the last 5 Superbowls (and 6 of the last 7). You also have two other Superbowl winning QBs on the list in Favre and Warner, and 2 of the other 3 have quarterbacked their teams to the Conference Championship game (Rivers and Brees). The remaining QB that hasn't done any of that is Tony Romo, and I think even you would admit he's done okay for himself.

QB isn't the most important part of a team, pfft. Sell me another one.

First off, I never mentioned the word "elite". I said "good", and Trent Edwards and JP Losman are not "good".

Now, onto your argument: Right, it's so difficult to find a good quarterback that teams like Miami, Baltimore, New England, Arizona, Green Bay, Chicago, and Atlanta all replaced their starters this season and have seen immediate returns. Immediate.

You contend that QB isn't the most important thing on a football team? Hah! Drew Brees is the exception, not the trend. Who are the top quarterbacks in the league? Honestly. In no particular order, you've got: Manning, Manning, Brady, Favre, Brees, Romo, Warner, Roethlisberger, and Rivers. I count 9 QB's on the list. Of those 9 teams, you have all 4 QBs that won each of the last 5 Superbowls (and 6 of the last 7). You also have two other Superbowl winning QBs on the list in Favre and Warner, and 2 of the other 3 have quarterbacked their teams to the Conference Championship game (Rivers and Brees). The remaining QB that hasn't done any of that is Tony Romo, and I think even you would admit he's done okay for himself.

QB isn't the most important part of a team, pfft. Sell me another one.

Do you really think CHAD PENINGTON, KYLE ORTON and MATT CASSELL are good QB??? They're performing well because their teams are supporting them. All of this teams have a good OL and a very good defense and rushing offense. Just take a look at Penington's numbers with the Jets, he struggled.

You're talking about Philip Rivers as a Top QB... well, how the chargers are doing this year?? And look at the numbers of Roethlisberger, the're very similar to Trent's numbers, the only difference is that Steelers defense is one of the best in the league, so Pittsburgh is 9-3.

Kurt Warner is another good QB, he always throw for more than 300 yds and a lot of TD to Fitzgerald and Boldin, but Cardinals have no defense and no rushing offense, the only reason they'll win their division is because Seahawks, Rams and 49ers are terrible this year. Arizona have no chances to go to SB even if Warner throws 500 yds in every game in playoffs.

On the other side we have the Titans with a QB who is far from being good, but they have terrific Rushing offense and a very good defense, and they're 11-1!!!

So... QB is not everything, you can win games and make the playoffs with a guy like Trent Edwards without problems, but you need to improve other areas in your team because nobody can win alone, it's TEAM WORK!!!

Do you really think CHAD PENINGTON, KYLE ORTON and MATT CASSELL are good QB??? They're performing well because their teams are supporting them. All of this teams have a good OL and a very good defense and rushing offense. Just take a look at Penington's numbers with the Jets, he struggled.

You're talking about Philip Rivers as a Top QB... well, how the chargers are doing this year?? And look at the numbers of Roethlisberger, the're very similar to Trent's numbers, the only difference is that Steelers defense is one of the best in the league, so Pittsburgh is 9-3.

Kurt Warner is another good QB, he always throw for more than 300 yds and a lot of TD to Fitzgerald and Boldin, but Cardinals have no defense and no rushing offense, the only reason they'll win their division is because Seahawks, Rams and 49ers are terrible this year. Arizona have no chances to go to SB even if Warner throws 500 yds in every game in playoffs.

On the other side we have the Titans with a QB who is far from being good, but they have terrific Rushing offense and a very good defense, and they're 11-1!!!

So... QB is not everything, you can win games and make the playoffs with a guy like Trent Edwards without problems, but you need to improve other areas in your team because nobody can win alone, it's TEAM WORK!!!

You make it too easy for me.

First, let's examine your numbers really quick. Those "very good defenses" you referred to? You know, New England, Chicago, and Miami? They're ranked 13th, 17th, and 18th in the NFL, respectively. How about the very good rushing offenses? Surely you wouldn't have shot from the hip twice in one sentence, right? Let's see: NE, Miami, and Chicago rank 9th, 12th, and 13th in the NFL. One team in the top 3rd of the league. Only one of the six units you referred to as "very good" even loosely fits the criteria (NE's defense). I tried really hard to find OL stats so that I could complete my trifecta by disproving your OL point, but NFL.com doesn't list them...sorry. If you know where I can find them, let me know, I hate leaving loopholes. I suppose this is also a good time to point out what I said about Miami, Baltimore, New England, Arizona, Green Bay, Chicago, and Atlanta, which is that they replaced their starters and saw an immediate return. If you can find a way to argue that these teams haven't seen an immediate increase in production at QB (outside of NE, I mean, c'mon, they had Brady), I'd LOVE to hear it!

Now, I presented MY numbers to you (you can review above if you forgot them). Top QB = success. Plain and simple. You seem to want to take one season of Rivers' career and use it to support your theory without lending any credence to his previous 3 seasons or any of the other stats presented. And you can dog Kurt Warner all you want, but the man won a Superbowl with the Rams and nearly captured another if Brady hadn't come up big.

Next, I find it humorous that you're trying to disprove my point by saying that Arizona has no defense and no running game, doesn't that augment my point? Also, that Cardinals team that gets all of its wins by beating up on its sorry division foes also defeated Dallas (with Tony Romo) and lost to the Giants by a touchdown, so you can put that line of logic to bed.

Further, regarding the Titans, you need to re-read my initial post, which stated that the only way to circumvent the need for a good QB is with a dominant running game and defense before you pigeon-hole my point. I also went on to state that often times, that's still not enough to win a Superbowl. I'll bet you a penny that they lose to a team with a good QB in the playoffs.

Sorry dude, my point is totally valid: If you look at the top QBs in the NFL, their collective performance speaks for itself. The top 9 QBs in the league have captured 6 of the last 9 Superbowls. Until you find some logical way to make that fact irrelevent, I'll stand by my statement.

Do you really think CHAD PENINGTON, KYLE ORTON and MATT CASSELL are good QB???

I'd say yes. Especially Chad Pennington. I heard he only signed a one year deal with the Fish. We should sign him in the off season if we can.

As I see it though, Trent fans (I'm one of them because he's starting for the Bills) are running out of excuses. In the last 3 games, the OLine has played well opening holes and protecting the QB. The running game has come around( 161, 171,and 156 yards running the last 3 weeks). The defense has played well even holding the 49ers to 10 points. Even in the last game we only had one turnover. Good running game, good protection, and good defense. Should be the recipe for a QB who plays well getting wins. Yet, we've only won one of these three. Bad QB play in the losses has been the constant. If we had Chad Pennington or Kyle Orton or Matt Cassell at QB, we probably win all 3 of those games.

Trent's biggest problem is consistency. He's had alternating bouts of great and awful, some inside the same game, his whole career in Buffalo. Is there anything to make us think this will change?

Go BILLS !!

You make it too easy for me.

First, let's examine your numbers really quick. Those "very good defenses" you referred to? You know, New England, Chicago, and Miami? They're ranked 13th, 17th, and 18th in the NFL, respectively. How about the very good rushing offenses? Surely you wouldn't have shot from the hip twice in one sentence, right? Let's see: NE, Miami, and Chicago rank 9th, 12th, and 13th in the NFL. One team in the top 3rd of the league. Only one of the six units you referred to as "very good" even loosely fits the criteria (NE's defense). I tried really hard to find OL stats so that I could complete my trifecta by disproving your OL point, but NFL.com doesn't list them...sorry. If you know where I can find them, let me know, I hate leaving loopholes. I suppose this is also a good time to point out what I said about Miami, Baltimore, New England, Arizona, Green Bay, Chicago, and Atlanta, which is that they replaced their starters and saw an immediate return. If you can find a way to argue that these teams haven't seen an immediate increase in production at QB (outside of NE, I mean, c'mon, they had Brady), I'd LOVE to hear it!

Now, I presented MY numbers to you (you can review above if you forgot them). Top QB = success. Plain and simple. You seem to want to take one season of Rivers' career and use it to support your theory without lending any credence to his previous 3 seasons or any of the other stats presented. And you can dog Kurt Warner all you want, but the man won a Superbowl with the Rams and nearly captured another if Brady hadn't come up big.

Next, I find it humorous that you're trying to disprove my point by saying that Arizona has no defense and no running game, doesn't that augment my point? Also, that Cardinals team that gets all of its wins by beating up on its sorry division foes also defeated Dallas (with Tony Romo) and lost to the Giants by a touchdown, so you can put that line of logic to bed.

Further, regarding the Titans, you need to re-read my initial post, which stated that the only way to circumvent the need for a good QB is with a dominant running game and defense before you pigeon-hole my point. I also went on to state that often times, that's still not enough to win a Superbowl. I'll bet you a penny that they lose to a team with a good QB in the playoffs.

Sorry dude, my point is totally valid: If you look at the top QBs in the NFL, their collective performance speaks for itself. The top 9 QBs in the league have captured 6 of the last 9 Superbowls. Until you find some logical way to make that fact irrelevent, I'll stand by my statement.

OK, you only took total yds in Stats, but there are more facts in defense like Int (Chicago is 2nd in the league), Sacks, fumbles... but thats not my point.

I totally agree that a team with a good QB has more chances to make the playoffs and a SB, but my point is that you can´t do it only with QB if the rest of the team sucks. why?? First of all a football team can't be based on one player, what happen if he has an injury?? then your season is over?? NE lost his great QB and they're still winning some games, they have good coaching and even if they're not the best team in defense, rushing offense or special teams they have consistency in all their lines.

Then, even that good QB have mistakes, Manning, Rivers and Brees had a bad day last Sunday, so you need to have a good team in other areas to help you in that times. Indy has it and they won, SD and NO don't and they were beaten.

-------------------------------------------------

But ok lets suppouse that you're right, we need a new QB for the next season an he has to be good instead of giving Trent more time to proove that he can do it.

What's the next step?? Going for a top ranked QB in the draft and give him a lot of money to sign with us (I think that's very risky, you don't know if you will get a QB like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco or you will get a guy like Ryan Leaf or Joey Harrington). Or going for a proved NFL QB that will ask for a lot of money so we wouldn't have good new players in other areas, and... Who will be available??

What about giving Trent Edwards a better offense, maybe a good Tight End, another top receiver like Evans, a better offensive line (I don't know where to find stats about that, but you can give an idea by the time their QB has to throw the ball). I really think that Trent would be a good QB for the Bills.

-------------------------------------------------

And speaking about Kurt Warner, don´t misunderstand me, I really admire him, without him Cardinals won't have that record, the only thing I said was that he could throw for 300 yds score 40 points, and maybe that will not be a clear win for Arizona because they don't have defense.