A kid that wants to go to war

aussiew

Everybody joins for a different reason, rather it be for college money, career opportunities, or whatever. For me I needed some direction in life and didn't want to end up working at the local factory. Why go to college when you don't know what you want to do. The recruiter does glamorize it, and most 18 year old boys didn't know any better. I was taken in by getting out of a small town and jumping out of planes for a living. I'd get an opportunity to go to ranger school and a shot at flight school for my 2nd enlistment. Once you get to your duty station you quickly grow out of it.

Id like to know more about this "Families againt the war" group. It is a country-bashing group of old anti-war leftists or is it a true support group for parents with mixed feelings about why their child has decided to join the ranks?

87631[/snapback]

The one I know of is a group of families of soldiers serving in Iraq who do not support the war itself.

I'm finally facing every mother's nightmare - a son that wants to go to war. He has been accepted into the Army (Artillary) and will leave for basic training in about 3 weeks. My first Thanksgiving and Christmas without him. A heart breaker.  How do I wish him well when I don't support our invasion of Iraq?

87164[/snapback]

Aussie,

Having servied in the FIRST Gulf Conflict and being in a similar situation I would give you this advice......support HIM whether or not you believe what the country itself is doing is right (which I do)

Supporting our military family has nothing to do with whether you beleive he is going for the right reasons....it is because you respect that as a man he is doing what he signed up to do......

If he does go to Iraq.....tell him to listen what is being told to him by the experienced vets.....dont that stupid unecissary chances.....and dont be a hero.

Thank you. As a parent, we should always try and support what our kids do, even when we cross our fingers behind our backs. I'm honest with him. He knows how I feel about this particular war but he also knows how proud I am. He also know I'm super sensitive about it because of losing a loved one in VietNam (a war I supported).

It helps to have a place to talk about it. Thank you everyone for your insight, comments and encouragement.

I'll post an update when he goes off to bootcamp.

Well join up and go, then you may know.
Why don't you?...maybe if you served and been overseas you'd have a different perspective of the world..actually meet the people of the middle east and see the hatred in their eyes for you or how they just try and make a buck off you..."my best american friend". ...I have my own opinion of the people over there formed through experience....maybe you should too.

Why don't you?...maybe if you served and been overseas you'd have a different perspective of the world..actually meet the people of the middle east and see the hatred in their eyes for you or how they just try and make a buck off you..."my best american friend". ...I have my own opinion of the people over there formed through experience....maybe you should too.

88704[/snapback]

She's too old. I've been in and out of the middle east since the early 80's. Lots of other neat places too. Sure is an interesting place. Great prices on gold. Just gotta love the armchair quarterbacks, though. We got plenty of them. Kinda screwed up staying in the business, when I thought I was done I end up on occasion going back.

She's too old. I've been in and out of the middle east since the early 80's. Lots of other neat places too. Sure is an interesting place. Great prices on gold. Just gotta love the armchair quarterbacks, though. We got plenty of them.

88726[/snapback]

And like Drew, most of them spend alot of time with either the "deer in the headlights or balled up in the fetal position.

If i never go back...Wouldn't be any skin of my back..That place really should be nuked and started over...but that is just my personal opinion.

88731[/snapback]

Smells bad too. Still, good prices on gold. You off any camels? <_<

No...but I lost money at the races....and my intestines will never be the same from a bad shwarma...or however you spell it.

88773[/snapback]

Too much curry? Gulf act two was easier to get to, in a way. Because we didn't have to screw with taking Kuwait. What was screwed up though, is as soon as you crossed the border on MSR whatever it was, one had to make a sharp left hand turn. the Iraqi kids would jump in the back of the truck and just start pitching things out. You know a convoy. Funny as stevestojan. Gulf one we as a whole didn't know any better. We actually believed shooting camels was bad, for about a week. A lot of camels met Allah the first day.

Too much curry? Gulf act two was easier to get to, in a way. Because we didn't have to screw with taking Kuwait. What was screwed up though, is as soon as you crossed the border on MSR whatever it was, one had to make a sharp left hand turn. the Iraqi kids would jump in the back of the truck and just start pitching things out. You know a convoy. Funny as stevestojan. Gulf one we as a whole didn't know any better. We actually believed shooting camels was bad, for about a week. A lot of camels met Allah the first day.

88786[/snapback]

Sorry Aussie. I don't mean to minimize your concerns. Some of us have been there, and we joke. I was a career soldier (screw you jarhead). I've seen the best, and the worst.

He doesn't need this to be a better man, but he will be a better man for it. A lot of it is crap, and six months from now you will be getting letters to that effect. He'll hate it. But, he'll love it too. There is probably no closer bond, than that of soldiers or Marines who have had to do.

It will sink in. And the lessons he learns here will serve him the rest of his life. You may not agree with "the war". And, he won't know until he has the reality check.

He'll learn. And so maybe might you. Through him. It's different when you are there.

Sorry Aussie. I don't mean to minimize your concerns. Some of us have been there, and we joke. I was a career soldier (screw you jarhead). I've seen the best, and the worst.

He doesn't need this to be a better man, but he will be a better man for it. A lot of it is crap, and six months from now you will be getting letters to that effect. He'll hate it. But, he'll love it too. There is probably no closer bond, than that of soldiers or Marines who have had to do.

It will sink in. And the lessons he learns here will serve him the rest of his life. You may not agree with "the war". And, he won't know until he has the reality check.

He'll learn. And so maybe might you. Through him. It's different when you are there.

88822[/snapback]

Just make sure if he has to go on a ship, they let him keep his weapon. The squids like little virgin Army guys. <_<

Actually while I never fought directly, been close to a couple of things. The guys really do take care of each other in the field. Also, don't believe the media on a lot of what is happening, if you check the stats, there are actually (true fact) less guys dying in unform now then before the war started. It because more guys die training and trying new tactics then do in combat where tried and working things are done.

Just make sure if he has to go on a ship, they let him keep his weapon. The squids like little virgin Army guys.

LOL <_< - thanks for the warning. But he's not little (6'1" - 225) and not a virgin. Actually, he's the one who is always called on to "back" his friends.

LOL  <_< - thanks for the warning.  But he's not little (6'1" - 225) and not a virgin.  Actually, he's the one who is always called on to "back" his friends.

89190[/snapback]

No, I meant a backend virgin. Not there is anything wrong with that.

88704[/snapback]

Even the Kuwaitis, you never could get rid of the feeling that they were trying to think of a way to rob you blind.

But damn, they did good laundry.

<_<

I remember him from the tailgate - a really good kid.

I do not have to tell you this but you know that you raise them right, point them in the right direction, but then the time comes when you cut that string and let them fly their own path.

It is never easy, but it is the way it is done.

Be proud he chose something he believes in. Keep us posted on how he makes out (and how you are handling it too).

I hope you can make the Jets game; I will be there but do not have an extra ticket.

I'm finally facing every mother's nightmare - a son that wants to go to war. He has been accepted into the Army (Artillary) and will leave for basic training in about 3 weeks. My first Thanksgiving and Christmas without him. A heart breaker.  How do I wish him well when I don't support our invasion of Iraq?

87164[/snapback]

He and you have my thanks.