UFAs and RFAs

Fewell733

I've marked who i think will or should stay, and who's as good as gone

Unrestricted free agents

- Angelo Crowell - gone, can't stay healthy

- Kirk Chambers - keep, depth tackle, only reliable one we have had in a decade

- Melvin Fowler - gone, obviously

- Jabari Greer - probably gone unfortunately, McKelvin, may be too expensive to sign, will be happy if we keep

- J.P. Losman - gone, obviously

- Teddy Lehman - gone, can't stay healthy

- Corey McIntyre - keep, he's been good

- Duke Preston - keep, beat out Fowler, provides interior depth and is well-liked on the team, should be cheap

- Jason Whittle - gone, can't stay healthy

Restricted free agents

- John DiGiorgio - keep, competent LB depth with starting experience

- Keith Ellison - keep, competent LB depth with starting experience

- Dustin Fox - gone, will always be available mid-season if we need him

- Gibran Hamdan - keep, why not, he and Edwards are buddies

- Justin Jenkins - gone, can't break into the lineup anymore

- George Wilson - keep, special teams captain, good depth safety when he doesn't fall down

- Fred Jackson - keep, gotta keep the two-headed beast together as long as possible

Unrestricted free agents

- Jabari Greer - probably gone unfortunately, McKelvin, may be too expensive to sign, will be happy if we keep

- Duke Preston - keep, beat out Fowler, provides interior depth and is well-liked on the team, should be cheap

Restricted free agents

- George Wilson - keep, special teams captain, good depth safety when he doesn't fall down

For the most part I would agree, but:

-I'd like to re-sign Crowell if we can get him at a good price.

-Lehman provides decent depth.

-Greer is definately gone.

Unless I missed an updated story, I'd guess that the Angelo Crowell bridge was burned when we IR'ed him.

That ship sailed long ago when, IMO, Ralph told Russ and Dick to IR him and prove a point.

Crowell didn't handle that situation well, but Buffalo went nuclear. It's just more proof that Ralph still dictates more than we think and handcuffs his HC and whomever is handling the GM role.

It's moves like these which defy logic and create an atmosphere in which no strong HC or GM candidate would want to work.

That ship sailed long ago when, IMO, Ralph told Russ and Dick to IR him and prove a point.

Crowell didn't handle that situation well, but Buffalo went nuclear. It's just more proof that Ralph still dictates more than we think and handcuffs his HC and whomever is handling the GM role.

It's moves like these which defy logic and create an atmosphere in which no strong HC or GM candidate would want to work.

No strong established HC or GM would want to work in Buffalo, period, regardless of the owner. It's not a big market.

As for IR'ing Crowell to teach him a lesson, that's ridiculous. Putting him on IR ensures he gets paid for the year to do nothing more than rehab, and if there's anything Ralph hates more than a quitter, it's a thief. And if he hadn't been IR'd and played this year, he would have been playing partially hurt and possibly lowered his market value. If anything, the Bills did Crowell a favor by IR'ing him, allowing him to be completely healthy going into the off-season and having his 2007 season being the one that people remember.

Yea, but that is so common place right now in today's game.

Andy Reid had to ask Lurie, (Eagles Majority Owner) if he would allow the Mcnabb benching and for permission to have Kolb to enter last weeks game.

- Not a good enough reason to keep him. He is a scrub. We need something we haven't had in a few years, a legitimate veteran backup quarterback. It's clear Edwards doesn't communicate with Losman much during the game, leaving Alex Van Pelt the only guy to talk with (besides Hamdam who is probably nothing more than a cheerleader). It would be cool to have someone who could speak with Trent when things aren't going well. Someone with plenty of NFL experience (not that I'm suggesting any of these but names that come to mind who may fit that mold are Gus Ferrotte, Damon Huard, and Brad Johnson).

- Yes, Ellison knows the system. And yes, he's reliable in the eyes of management but this guy isn't good enough if he has to start for your team. The ONLY way I'd keep this guy is if he was on the cheap and he was a back-up which is what he was supposed to be this year. I'm HOPING that this Bowen kid we drafted gets healthy for next year and provides depth for our linebacking trio. We will have to address this in free agency or the draft again but we do some veteran experience back there besides Mitchell. Too bad Crowell didn't work out this year. I'm SURE they were banking on both Crowell and Bowen being healthy and thus having a solid to really good linebacker group. But it just didn't work out that way due to injuries.

- We have to either extend this man's contract or re-sign Terrence McGee. Anyone else in favor of keeping him over McGee?? I've liked Greer from the start and thought we should have extended him at a very modest rate last year. Again, we develop and groom an excellent cornerback and his contract runs up. I understand, it's the NFL and that's the way it goes, but I'd really hate to lose this guy and possibly McGee after spending time grooming them.

- I agree 100%. A lot of folks have a problem with Preston but I think keeping him for depth is essential. We don't have much talent in our depth as it is, so keeping a guy with many, many games under his belt with the Bills would be good. I'd still like to draft a center or sign a free agent as an upgrade over Duke. I have liked his toughness the past few weeks.

The Bills will have to choose between Greer and McGee. With McKelvin getting mid first round money, it's not an option to keep three guys at high money. It's a guess, but Greer will probably get 5+ years and 30M total. That's something Buffalo can't afford.

I think Buffalo lets Greer leave in FA after the season and eventually McKelvin will become the starter. Youboty and Corner will fight for the nickel slot.

Unrestricted free agents

Weird situation, doubt he is back but there is a dire need for a LB on this team

i doubt he gets 6M per as someone mentioned, he might be had for a long termer averaging around $3.5per with nice upfront cash ($7M)

the Bills better be ready to shell out some cash for a QUALITY backup because TE is still a question mark

Might be showing that he can be the starter and there are other positions that need Serious Attention on this team

Restricted free agents

Depth and starters are needed at this position but he does add some versatility and all the holes probably won't be filled in one offseason, especially if the Bills "braintrust" go DB or RB in the 1st again

you are kidding i hope here...he is by far the worst player on defense on probably only has a job because of the injuries prior to the start of the season to Bowen and Crowell...if the Bills had legitimate options anywhere else, he would have been long gone by week 2

Assinine comment why to keep a player, and who knows, the two might be on the cover of the local Buffalo gay magazines but he probably will stay if a quality backup isn't kept or brought in

- Fred Jackson - keep, gotta keep the two-headed beast together as long as possible

Unrestricted free agents

Restricted free agents

Why not keep Fowler as a back-up? He's a veteran and if you can keep him at a cheper price, why not? Best to have experience at depth then inexperience.

I would love to keep Greer, but I get the feeling that some other team will throw a BIG contract in his face and he will take it. The Bills might feel inclined to let him go since they spent a 1st ronder on McKelvin.

Jauron knows the importance of Special Teams and Justin Jenkins is a good Gunner. Jenkins is restricted so he will be inexpensive to keep. Think of him as our new Sam Aiken.

Trying to stay on the field and play through a nagging injury rather than shutting it down is not the same thing as "can't stay healthy."

I'm not saying he's deserved what he's gotten or that his efforts last year weren't commendable, I'm just saying that, when it comes down to it, it's his ongoing knee problems that will be the reason that he's let go at the end of the year.

Why not keep Fowler as a back-up? He's a veteran and if you can keep him at a cheper price, why not? Best to have experience at depth then inexperience.

I would love to keep Greer, but I get the feeling that some other team will throw a BIG contract in his face and he will take it. The Bills might feel inclined to let him go since they spent a 1st ronder on McKelvin.

Jauron knows the importance of Special Teams and Justin Jenkins is a good Gunner. Jenkins is restricted so he will be inexpensive to keep. Think of him as our new Sam Aiken.

i'd rather have a back-up center who could also fill-in at guard if need be - roster spots are limited.........fowler doesn't fit that description