So if you're the Detroit Lions do you.....

zow2

Throw all the money you have at Matt Cassell in free agency? then maybe sign JP as a possible backup or competition to push Cassell? I mean they might have the worst QB situation I've seen in a long long time. An NFL team cannot possibly win games without a competent Quarterback.

Use the wildcat formation they will never get a good QB

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw all the money you have at Matt Cassell in free agency? then maybe sign JP as a possible backup or competition to push Cassell? I mean they might have the worst QB situation I've seen in a long long time. An NFL team cannot possibly win games without a competent Quarterback.

The Detriot Lions already tried exactly this when they went all out and signed Scott Mitchell. That worked out great. For the rest of the division.

I doubt it. The Pats offense is predominantly a lot of dink and dunk to Welker and whatever back they've got in there, which JP would struggle with. He be good at the bombs and lobs to Moss which is how the Pats get in the endzone.

This is what people say about JP, but the facts don't back it up. Yes, he's famous for the long ball, but he is excellent at dink and dunk. Look at the preseason this year. Look at the first part of the Arizona game this year, and take out the one long ball. Until we got three and four scores behind late in the game, JP was completing a very high percentage, and doing it mostly with short balls.

Being good with long balls makes you even better at the short game, because the D can't bring the safeties up. JP has learned a lot in the past couple of years, even excluding the main thing he learned, which is to stay the heck away from Steve Fairchild.

Will he end up with the Lions? Almost certainly not. Why would JP want to go there? It's a losing environment. JP will be a free agent, and he has too much sense to go to Detroit.

I can't recall a team ever tagging a backup player. Cassell could sign the tender, then NE is on the hook for paying a backup top 5 of all QB salaries. People throw these franchise tags around like they are candy. Many are suggesting franchise Greer. He's doing well, but again not worth top 5 money and if I were Greer, if the Bills tag him, I'd sign the tag in a second as I doubt he'd ever come lose to that as a FA. Same with Cassell, though he may be reluctant to stick around another year as a backup.

I think the Lions will exchange 1st round picks with the Patriots for the right to sign Matt Cassell after the Patriots slap the franchise tag on him.

I think probably JP's biggest problem is that he's not really a rhythm passer. Basically JP is a thrower, a guy like Trent is a passer. JP hits targets that he aims at, Trent feeds the ball to the receivers and gets it to the right spot. The difference is that things just don't look as in sync when JP's behind center - and I think is a big reason why so many of us had this anxiousness when he was in the backfield that just isn't as present when Trent's behind center. He tends to look like he's forcing things with his big arm. I hope JP is successful wherever he goes, but I think only a handful of teams will be interested because his shortcomings tend to rule him out of a lot of offensive systems.

They probably would, and it would likely turn out badly for them since I really don't think Matt Cassell will be all that great on another team playing in another system. It will likely turn out the way it did when the Lions signed Scott Mitchell from Miami after he had a good season...not very good. Cassell is not a difference maker...he is a QB that can play very well when he has an exceptional supporting cast, an exceptional scheme, and very good protection, none of which he would have in Detroit(although Calvin Johnson is no joke...). I think when he moves to a different team, the NFL will find out he isn't so good...

The Detriot Lions already tried exactly this when they went all out and signed Scott Mitchell. That worked out great. For the rest of the division.

If Detroit keeps Culpeper & gets a good RB, They could run the type of offense the Vikings ran with Culpepper & Moss with Calvin Johnson in the Moss role. Culpeper is healed from his injury & still has a gun for an arm. JP would also be effective in this type of offense.

If Detroit keeps Culpeper & gets a good RB, They could run the type of offense the Vikings ran with Culpepper & Moss with Calvin Johnson in the Moss role. Culpeper is healed from his injury & still has a gun for an arm. JP would also be effective in this type of offense.

It didn't appear like his arm was anywhere near what it was...the guy was throwing lollipops out there on Thanksgiving...reminded me of Pennington when he hurt his shoulder and couldn't throw more than 10 yards...Culpeppers balls were taking FOREVER to get to the receivers....

I think the Lions will exchange 1st round picks with the Patriots for the right to sign Matt Cassell after the Patriots slap the franchise tag on him.

That would be stupid. Cassel looks great in THAT system. The Lions need to trade down for extra picks. WAY too many holes to fill to bring in Cassel.

Sounds right for the Lions though.

PK