What Would You Guys Think About...............

H2o

Agreed. I think we have the talent to make teh playoffs, but it's the HC and game day leadership that is lacking. The bungling of the last drive against Cleveland and teh heartless performance at NE are all indicative of a HC problem.
also there is a problem at QB

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also there is a problem at QB

Here in leads to another HC gaffe. What HC in his right mind starts a player recovering from a sprained knee (McGee), watches him get burned for a bazillion yards, yet doesn't pull him in favor of a developing but healthy DB (McKelvin) or even a reserve WR. Dick Jauron! Hence, why we lost to the fish. Seeing that McGee can cover primary receivers when healthy leads to that being one of Jauron's dumbest moves.

Back to QB. I find it hard to believe that Edwards could be so different, even in attitude, from before the bye week to after. I'm still convinced that there were lingering effects from his concussion, and Jauron (or his staff) should have noticed them. Edwards might have needed another week to rid himself of all the cobwebs. He's not reacting to pressure the way he used to and that is a sign of post-concusion syndrome. Heck, some players are out for several weeks after a concussion (I'm thinking more of Tim Connolly and Pat LaFontaine on teh Sabres).

It gets me how quickly the fans and press have turned on Edwards.

There's a level of uncertainty about the Bills' future if Wilson passes on.

The business is more attractive to potential buyers if the current staff stays put, at least for now, and a new (large) contract for a different HC wouldn't seem wise. The games are still selling out.

A new owner will staff up according to his wishes. The adage, "a new broom sweeps clean" applies. Especially so in the sports biz.

There's a level of uncertainty about the Bills' future if Wilson passes on.

The business is more attractive to potential buyers if the current staff stays put, at least for now, and a new (large) contract for a different HC wouldn't seem wise. The games are still selling out.

A new owner will staff up according to his wishes. The adage, "a new broom sweeps clean" applies. Especially so in the sports biz.

I can understand that. I can also understand that letting that sort of thing out to the fanbase would absolutely kill support for the franchise. If the Bills are holding back in pursuing success for fear of not being able to sell to a local group, then that's an issue.

The games may still be selling out, but I think fans are seeing through the smoke Buffalo tries to sell as a winning team each year. I would hope the front office isn't upset next year when the season ticket base isn't as high. You have to wonder when the bubble will burst and fans start demanding a winning team though.

no....No.....NO....NOOOOOOOO!

He and Norv Turner are both cursed as Head Coaches. Fine and dandy as Coordinators or Assistants but absolutely NOT as Head Coach.

when was the last time Marty was a co-ordinator, is that something you even knew before you posted this?

I agree on Turner and guys like Wade but Marty is a good head coach that knows how to build teams, get them to the playoffs and does it rather quickly. Say what you want about his playoff record but we're talking about a team that hasnt been to the playoffs in how long? How about we worry about winning a playoff game when the Bills actually make the playoffs

when was the last time Marty was a co-ordinator, is that something you even knew before you posted this?

I agree on Turner and guys like Wade but Marty is a good head coach that knows how to build teams, get them to the playoffs and does it rather quickly. Say what you want about his playoff record but we're talking about a team that hasnt been to the playoffs in how long? How about we worry about winning a playoff game when the Bills actually make the playoffs

I don't know and I don't care when Marty was co-anything. IMHO, I don't think Marty is the answer for the Bills as HC. I would vote for Cowher or Mooch way before Marty. I would, however, vote for Marty before Norv.

My vote is for Cowher.

That is the kind of coach you want. A player's coach and motivator who gets the best out of his guys. Hard-nosed football, he's all about power running and mean defense. I love that kind of football. Bill Cowher would make a great coach for us. He'd fit in pretty easily in our blue collar city too.

Cowher = Marty

Cowher is the same style of coach as Marty. That's not surprising because he's part of Marty's tree having been an assistant for Marty until his hiring in Pittsburgh. Both have lost a ton of big games where they were favored because of their often conservative style, but the key is they get there A LOT. Cowher BARELY beat an Indy team that BARELY made the playoffs to get to his first SB, and needed a ton of good fortune and favorable matchups to win his SB. Same thing with Tony Dungy, who has lost a TON of big games, except for that one SB run. The problem is, there aren't enough Belichick's to go around. If you are a perennial loser like the Bills and can get a guy who routinely wins divisions and gets to the playoffs, you need to take it.

I'd take Marty or Cowher. Marty is in less demand and cheaper, but not a lesser coach.

As for the guy who said Marty ball is boring, he missed Marty's run with the Chargers. Bring in Marty and get an identity. Run the ball and use play action, bring back the 3-4 and stock and develop talent.

The guy has done alot for the teams he's been around. A product of Bill Walsh and the old West Coast offense. He's been a winner in this league for a long time. He also has Super Bowl credibility as a head coach, winning one with GB and losing the SB that the Steelers bought off. A vast majority of people here believe that Jauron just is not the guy. Do we give DJ next season and go after Holmgren in 2010? He seems like a good fit. More of a small town coach that would be embraced around here, with a proven pedigree. What do you guys think?

Either Holmgren or Cowher. If Jauron fails to get us to 10-6, he should be fired. There's no excuses for him this year.

Cowher = Marty

Cowher is the same style of coach as Marty. That's not surprising because he's part of Marty's tree having been an assistant for Marty until his hiring in Pittsburgh. Both have lost a ton of big games where they were favored because of their often conservative style, but the key is they get there A LOT. Cowher BARELY beat an Indy team that BARELY made the playoffs to get to his first SB, and needed a ton of good fortune and favorable matchups to win his SB. Same thing with Tony Dungy, who has lost a TON of big games, except for that one SB run. The problem is, there aren't enough Belichick's to go around. If you are a perennial loser like the Bills and can get a guy who routinely wins divisions and gets to the playoffs, you need to take it.

I'd take Marty or Cowher. Marty is in less demand and cheaper, but not a lesser coach.

As for the guy who said Marty ball is boring, he missed Marty's run with the Chargers. Bring in Marty and get an identity. Run the ball and use play action, bring back the 3-4 and stock and develop talent.

Sorry, Cower does not = Marty, although you did nail their similarities. But, unlike Marty, Cower didn't go into a shell in every playoff game. Also, can you see Marty going through the Kordell Stewart phase? I certainly don't recall the rampant use of trick plays on any team coached by Marty, either.

Cower may be from Marty's tree, but his sphincter isn't as tightly closed. Cower is a far better overall coach, than Marty S, IMO.

With that said, I agree that Marty would give this team an identity, and would probably be a surer bet to the playoffs most years. (I actually think the team might be developing that identity already...just at a painfully slow pace. It would likely speed up under Marty.) I just hate the fact that, once they reached the playoffs, Marty would still be the coach. It reminds me of the Chuck Knox days. Chuck Knox could take any team and build them into a contender. The problem was, that's what the team would likely remain, until a new coach took over.

Jack Del Rio would be my choice if he gets fired...but I keep saying that Marvin Lewis (if Jauron is still here) will be the defensive coordinator here next year!

Most people in Jacksonville would be glad to be rid of him.

I initially thought Del Rio was just a meathead. Now, I still think he's a meathead, but there is something more there. Still, his inconsistent handling of the Jags doesn't make me long for him in Buffalo.

Sorry, Cower does not = Marty, although you did nail their similarities. But, unlike Marty, Cower didn't go into a shell in every playoff game. Also, can you see Marty going through the Kordell Stewart phase? I certainly don't recall the rampant use of trick plays on any team coached by Marty, either.

Cower may be from Marty's tree, but his sphincter isn't as tightly closed. Cower is a far better overall coach, than Marty S, IMO.

With that said, I agree that Marty would give this team an identity, and would probably be a surer bet to the playoffs most years. (I actually think the team might be developing that identity already...just at a painfully slow pace. It would likely speed up under Marty.) I just hate the fact that, once they reached the playoffs, Marty would still be the coach. It reminds me of the Chuck Knox days. Chuck Knox could take any team and build them into a contender. The problem was, that's what the team would likely remain, until a new coach took over.

I don't disagree that it would be better to hire someone who can get one shot at a SB and win it, but short of hiring a young genius coach and getting lucky, Belichick, Parcells and Gruden appear to be set where they are.

As for Marty and Cowher, trick plays aside, both are conservative coaches and Cowher is no better than Marty.

Ah, how easy it is to forget that Cowher has had 5 AFC Championship games at home and lost 4 of them. Also coughed up homefield advantage in a home loss to the Bills in the divisional round of the playoffs in 1993. He had the clear path to the SB 6 times and only got there once in those 6 homefield opps, and was outcoached and his team outplayed in the one they did win against the Colts.

At the very end of his career, he caught the breaks he needed by drawing a Dungy team in the divisional round, Jake Plummer in the championship and most importantly avoiding the Patriots in the playoffs and getting a gimme SB win against an overmatched NFC opponent(with help from some horrible officiating). Didn't hurt that maybe the best DC of this generation returned to work for the Steelers at the end of Cowhers run, either. My guess is he won't be coming to Cowhers next stop.

Second tier coaches like Cowher, Marty and Dungy need to catch a break. In an evenly matched big game you're better off with a schemer like Belichick or Gruden, but over the long haul Marty, Cowher and Dungy get you a lot of chances. Also in defense of Marty, he turned around 3 different franchises including an impressive short stint in Washington. I think he would come right in here and win. Which would also stick it in AJ Smiths craw, which I'm sure Ralph would enjoy.

Cowher, maybe. But he has only done it in one place. He's also probably a $10M per year hire and will have his pick of a number of more attractive places to work, so it's really hard for me to imagine that working out. However, it's worth noting that whomever comes here doesn't have a personnel man for a GM, which means additional say in personnel issues, which should be attractive.