Favorite Sandwich/Sub?

Justice

They don't take credit card. :lol: I tried going there with my wife last time we were there, but we had no cash. :worthy:

Grover's in Amherst mentioned above is cash only, as is LaHacienda in the Falls. A bit OT, but is refusal to accept plastic at popular restaurants a WNY thing or is it like that in other places around the US?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grover's in Amherst mentioned above is cash only, as is LaHacienda in the Falls. A bit OT, but is refusal to accept plastic at popular restaurants a WNY thing or is it like that in other places around the US?

I think it's a WNY thing -- never found a restaurant (or store...) that doesn't take plastic in Minnesota. Heck, even half of the shops at the local craft fair my wife went to took credit. :lol:

La Hac and Grovers are cash only? Wow, I didn't know that. Viola's is certainly cash-only. One of my best friends, a doctor in Amherst, loves Grovers...and uses plastic to pay for most everything. He must ATM-up before hitting Grovers.

Some of my favorite restaurants, in several cities, were cash only. They tend to be joints, with good food and a relaxed atmosphere. In addition to the already mentioned restaurants, here are a few I remember, off the top of my head:

Pizza John's Knotted Bar (on Lovejoy in Buffalo, now defunct)

The Daily Catch (Hanover St, Boston. The location on the Warf, near Jimmy's, is now defunct, I think)

Satay House, AKA Mike's Thai (Polk St, San Francisco, now defunct)

So much defunct. So sad. So old.

Maybe it's because they only took cash :worthy:

Well, I think you are right, but not for the reason you might think. All of those restaurants did a brisk business. I think they tucked away some of that, hard to track, cash...and made a beeline before they got busted for tax evasion. Actually, Pizza Johns was bought by Rite Aid (I think) that bought several properties to put up a store. The Daily Catch at the Warf, I assume sold to some big $$ interests. Mike of the Satay House, was open one day...and gone the next. Pretty sure he and his family took off for Thailand, one step ahead of the tax collector. :lol:

La Hac and Grovers are cash only? Wow, I didn't know that. Viola's is certainly cash-only. One of my best friends, a doctor in Amherst, loves Grovers...and uses plastic to pay for most everything. He must ATM-up before hitting Grovers.

A friend & I went to Grovers two weeks ago - those burgers are everything people said they were! Bill came to $26.00 & out comes the Amex. "Sorry no credit cards."

$%^^&$%!!!!

Luckily we had $30 in cash between us.

Strangely enough, LaHacienda does take personal checks.

Wow great thread. Most of my favorites (except for the loaded hoagy at Jim's) can be found at Gino's Pizza in Tonawanda. Worked there for 2 years during high school (Ken East was across the street) and had everything on the menu countless times. Favorites included the pizza sub, chicken finger, cheeseburger, and royal.

Wow- Gino even got himself a website: http://www.ginospizzaplace.com/index.html

I haven't worked there in almost 8 years but it's fun to see the website and taste some of the pizza! Btw, anyone who didn't work in a local, neighborhood place in Buffalo would not want to see the "back of house". But the food was great!

Well, I think you are right, but not for the reason you might think. All of those restaurants did a brisk business. I think they tucked away some of that, hard to track, cash...and made a beeline before they got busted for tax evasion. Actually, Pizza Johns was bought by Rite Aid (I think) that bought several properties to put up a store. The Daily Catch at the Warf, I assume sold to some big $$ interests. Mike of the Satay House, was open one day...and gone the next. Pretty sure he and his family took off for Thailand, one step ahead of the tax collector. :thumbsup:

that is a common method used in the biz so ive heard.....squirrell away some tax free bucks and get out..