Favorite Sandwich/Sub?

Justice

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will add one other favorite sandwich. You should be able to get this at any good Italian Deli, but one of the best I've ever had, was from a really good Italian Deli in Syosset, NY (on Long Island):

Hot Capacolla (gabagoo)

A good hard salami (I like a good Genoa or a hot/spicy Sicilian)

Sharp Provolone (Don't let them use the "sandwich" provolone...get the real sharp Provolone they don't use for sandwiches. They will have to hand carve a few pieces with a knife.)

Crustiest Italian roll they have

I eat mine w/o any dressing or anything else...but, use whatever dressing you like, I guess.

It goes great with a big red wine! In fact, I will take this sandwich (and the wine, of course) in place of today's "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner (like the one I will be having later today. (If I was making my Thanksgiving dinner, I'd take the dinner, instead, of course.)

Does this particular sandwich have a name, it sure sounds good.

My favorite: Grilled cheese and bacon sandwich served by the defunct Your Host restaurants.

Ak, the famous Your Lost restaurants.

The Paragon Restaurant in San Francisco (across the street from AT&T Park) makes a very nice "upscale" grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. It really is quite good, and comes with a bowl of delicious tomato soup.

Does this particular sandwich have a name, it sure sounds good.

I call it "the usual". :censored:

Actually, it's been a year, probably, since I had one. It's tough to find good hot capicola in St Augustine. Believe it or not, the place I used to get it was Walmart, but they no longer carry it. The crappy Italian deli here, and the local supermarket, carry Boar's Head capicola, and it is the worst capicola ever produced (their other lunch meat is OK, though). Maybe I will order something good online.

Ak, the famous Your Lost restaurants.

The Paragon Restaurant in San Francisco (across the street from AT&T Park) makes a very nice "upscale" grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. It really is quite good, and comes with a bowl of delicious tomato soup.

I'm not quite sure how one makes an "upscale" grilled cheese and bacon sandwich... :censored:

They are pretty simple things to put together.

I always chuckled at the scenes in the Steve Martin movie - LA Story, when he scored reservations at the wildly-popular eatery..."L'idiot's". :lol:

I'm not quite sure how one makes an "upscale" grilled cheese and bacon sandwich... :censored:

I always chuckled at the scenes in the Steve Martin movie - LA Story, when he scored reservations at the wildly-popular eatery..."L'idiot's". :(

That is a great scene from LA Story!

How does one "upscale" a grilled bacon and cheese? First of all they use really good artisan bread (very crusty) cut into very long slices. Then, they use two or three cheeses (from what I remember) and some outstanding bacon...not your basic Armour brand. I believe they grill it like a panini. How else they going to charge $13 for it (and the soup, of course)? :lol:

Outside of "she's not as hot as Avril Lavigne" that might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. That's the kind of witty retort I expect from my 6-year-old nephew. :lol:

:(

That is the funniest thing I've read here in a long time. I almost geysered my Kool Aid. Outstanding! :censored:

I'm not quite sure how one makes an "upscale" grilled cheese and bacon sandwich... :lol:

I always chuckled at the scenes in the Steve Martin movie - LA Story, when he scored reservations at the wildly-popular eatery..."L'idiot's". :lol:

My favorite part of that movie is:

Harris: SanDeE*, your... your breasts feel weird.

SanDeE*: Oh, that's 'cause they're real.

:lol::lol::lol:

That is a great scene from LA Story!

How does one "upscale" a grilled bacon and cheese? First of all they use really good artisan bread (very crusty) cut into very long slices. Then, they use two or three cheeses (from what I remember) and some outstanding bacon...not your basic Armour brand. I believe they grill it like a panini. How else they going to charge $13 for it (and the soup, of course)? :censored:

The essence of a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich: Grease, salt and saturated fat from the bacon and cheese. Butter or other salty, greasy substitute slathered on the outside of the bread to sizzle on the grill. Any artisan bread takes a back seat.

Anybody that purports to savor the delicate, nuanced, flavor of a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich over 20 minutes, commenting on this or that nuttiness, the exquisite blend of cheeses, the subtle hint of the premium baking and the 'wheatiness' of the bread , or moreover pays 13 bucks for same should, IMO be put under surveillance. :(

These things are best eaten late at night (along with a double order of over-buttered, drippy white toast to aid in the sopping up of he evening alcohol consumption), or on a Saturday morning with or without ones' loved one.

:lol:

The essence of a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich: Grease, salt and saturated fat from the bacon and cheese. Butter or other salty, greasy substitute slathered on the outside of the bread to sizzle on the grill. Any artisan bread takes a back seat.

Anybody that purports to savor the delicate, nuanced, flavor of a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich over 20 minutes, commenting on this or that nuttiness, the exquisite blend of cheeses, the subtle hint of the premium baking and the 'wheatiness' of the bread , or moreover pays 13 bucks for same should, IMO be put under surveillance. :(

These things are best eaten late at night (along with a double order of over-buttered,drippy white toast to sop up the evening alcohol consumption), or on a Saturday morning with or without ones' loved one.

:censored:

I call it "the usual". :lol:

Actually, it's been a year, probably, since I had one. It's tough to find good hot capicola in St Augustine. Believe it or not, the place I used to get it was Walmart, but they no longer carry it. The crappy Italian deli here, and the local supermarket, carry Boar's Head capicola, and it is the worst capicola ever produced (their other lunch meat is OK, though). Maybe I will order something good online.

Yea Boar's head does makes some descent ham, but who the hell in Walmart hand cut your provolone?? :censored:

Anybody that purports to savor the delicate, nuanced, flavor of a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich over 20 minutes, commenting on this or that nuttiness, the exquisite blend of cheeses, the subtle hint of the premium baking and the 'wheatiness' of the bread , or moreover pays 13 bucks for same should, IMO be put under surveillance. :lol:

These things are best eaten late at night (along with a double order of over-buttered, drippy white toast to aid in the sopping up of he evening alcohol consumption), or on a Saturday morning with or without ones' loved one.

:censored:

I probably should have mentioned that, for $13 or $14 dollars, the Paragon also includes a small salad, with the unfortunate moniker of "local field greens".

So, you see, on one hand, you have your "upscale" grilled cheese and bacon (or either ham or turkey), with some nice tomato soup and a small salad. This makes for a pretty good business lunch, and even feels healthy. I like it with a nice glass of Champagne (or two)...but, that's me. Too much to pay for a grilled cheese? Of course. But, I wouldn't mention it if it wasn't really good. Besides, everything at the Paragon is a couple/three dollars overpriced.

On the other hand, you have your "common" grilled cheese and bacon sandwich, best eaten, as you point out, late at night in a greasy spoon. It fills the void, and the grease sops up some of the booze, or so it seems. Perfect for its function, as well.

Yea Boar's head does makes some descent ham, but who the hell in Walmart hand cut your provolone?? :censored:

I don't think Walmart carries a quality provolone, nor has a roll with the requisite crustiness for this sandwich. I last made this sandwich at home, when I could buy decent hot capicola.