Poor Nate Had Nothing To Do in Buffalo

VJ91

"I think the fact that it wasn't a city like Miami or Atlanta is something that was kind of a hidden blessing in disguise," Clements said when talking about beginning his career in Buffalo, "I wasn't able to always go out, and I think that really helped me on the field."...

Jim Kelly must be laughing his butt off at that pathetic statement. Jimbo and his buddies never had any problems finding "places to go out" around Buffalo. Then, in order to keep the public incidents to a minimum, he built his own bar in the basement of his home so he and the Bills could continue to party privately. I know Clements wasn't earning 10 Million a year in Buffalo like he is now, but he ceratinly had enough money to be "able to go out" if he really wanted to. Being from Buffalo, and rooting for the Bills my entire life, I really have to laugh at all the insults athletes and media members try to throw at our fair city. They just end up making asses out of themselves.

For every one ignorant arrogant idiot like Clements, there are two Steve Taskers, Scotty Bowmans, Paul McGuires, Jim Kellys, Thurman Thomas's, Larry Playfairs and many others who have decided Buffalo is so great, they end up living here full time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think the fact that it wasn't a city like Miami or Atlanta is something that was kind of a hidden blessing in disguise," Clements said when talking about beginning his career in Buffalo, "I wasn't able to always go out, and I think that really helped me on the field."...

Jim Kelly must be laughing his butt off at that pathetic statement. Jimbo and his buddies never had any problems finding "places to go out" around Buffalo. Then, in order to keep the public incidents to a minimum, he built his own bar in the basement of his home so he and the Bills could continue to party privately. I know Clements wasn't earning 10 Million a year in Buffalo like he is now, but he ceratinly had enough money to be "able to go out" if he really wanted to. Being from Buffalo, and rooting for the Bills my entire life, I really have to laugh at all the insults athletes and media members try to throw at our fair city. They just end up making asses out of themselves.

For every one ignorant arrogant idiot like Clements, there are two Steve Taskers, Scotty Bowmans, Paul McGuires, Jim Kellys, Thurman Thomas's, Larry Playfairs and many others who have decided Buffalo is so great, they end up living here full time.

I do not understand this either. I have been to alot of cities & there are only a few that their bar district could compare to the Chip Strip. I mean sure it is no Miami or NYC, but what cities are like that anywhwere. We were in Dallas a few years ago & their bar district was pretty weak imo. Same with jacksonville.

Don't forget Matt Barnaby. Now that he's on ESPN, I've heard him mention his home in buffalo 3 or 4 times. There's always one or two bad apples. I have no hard feelings against Nate for these comments... Do I think he's an ignorant fool? yes... but do i hold a grudge cause he's a window licker? no.

the "Chip Strip" is no where near on par with the bar/party scenes in Miami or Atlanta. Especially if you are looking for more urban/hip hop (ok, black) bars. when you refer to the Chip Strip, youre talking about a lot of dumb white frat kids out for their first night of drinking or a bunch of guidos.

its one thing if you are a white kid from pittsburgh (kelly) to find plenty of places to drink. but you wont find many of today's athletes at the big tree inn for a wild friday night out, or at founding fathers.

look at Poz, he's had no problem finding places to go out. Bullfeathers is right up his alley. I guarantee Clements wouldnt go there to drink. It's just not the type of place he is referring to.

since they are making the money to allow it, all of these guys want to party like theyre in a rap video. and thats fine, as long as their not putting themselves in bad situations, more power to them. i live in atlanta and i know exactly what bars hes referring to. The Velvet Room, the Compound, etc. all owned by rappers or producers.

buffalo just doesnt have what they are looking for. its unfortunate that it turns into a negative for players to want to be here. personally, if i made it to the NFL, i think most of my energy and focus would be on staying healthy and my career. but, these guys do have an off-season and their own lives to live. i think to call these guys "ignorant" is a little harsh. I didnt like the WAY McGahee made his comments, and the timing was horrible. But i dont think that Nate said anything that wasnt true. Buffalo isnt a Miami or an Atlanta. He's actually saying it HELPED his career and HELPED him earn that big payday. If any smart player is reading that, they should take it as Buffalo being a great place to build a career.

the "Chip Strip" is no where near on par with the bar/party scenes in Miami or Atlanta. Especially if you are looking for more urban/hip hop (ok, black) bars. when you refer to the Chip Strip, youre talking about a lot of dumb white frat kids out for their first night of drinking or a bunch of guidos.

its one thing if you are a white kid from pittsburgh (kelly) to find plenty of places to drink. but you wont find many of today's athletes at the big tree inn for a wild friday night out, or at founding fathers.

look at Poz, he's had no problem finding places to go out. Bullfeathers is right up his alley. I guarantee Clements wouldnt go there to drink. It's just not the type of place he is referring to.

since they are making the money to allow it, all of these guys want to party like theyre in a rap video. and thats fine, as long as their not putting themselves in bad situations, more power to them. i live in atlanta and i know exactly what bars hes referring to. The Velvet Room, the Compound, etc. all owned by rappers or producers.

buffalo just doesnt have what they are looking for. its unfortunate that it turns into a negative for players to want to be here. personally, if i made it to the NFL, i think most of my energy and focus would be on staying healthy and my career. but, these guys do have an off-season and their own lives to live. i think to call these guys "ignorant" is a little harsh. I didnt like the WAY McGahee made his comments, and the timing was horrible. But i dont think that Nate said anything that wasnt true. Buffalo isnt a Miami or an Atlanta. He's actually saying it HELPED his career and HELPED him earn that big payday. If any smart player is reading that, they should take it as Buffalo being a great place to build a career.

Exactly, this is much ado about nothing. Brett Favre said the same thing about Green Bay and how it really helped his career. I don't see it as a slap at Buffalo just a fact as mentioned above.

Word.

You hit the nail squarely the on the head with those statements.

Atlanta is far more the kind of place that most black athletes want to be.

A lot of these guys are young, single, and have plenty of spending money for dining, dancing, and dames. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to sit home and study game film every night.

Buffalonians are so damn sensitive about any statement they perceive as a disparaging remark about their beloved hometown. Buffalo suits me fine. I grew up there. But how do you expect some kid raised in an urban environment on the Florida panhandle or in Georgia to take to the charms of Buffalo as easily? Thurman just happened to have his wife's family living there, which I'm sure was a huge factor in his decision. Otherwise I doubt he'd be there. What other black athletes have made it their home in recent times?

Buffalo is still a highly segregated area compared to many major metropolises. There are no neighborhoods in Buffalo I know of that I'd say are populated by and marketed to affulent blacks. Here in Atlanta, there are many.

If Dingus Day, Beaver Island, Kissing Bridge, and Rush are what you're into, I highly recommend Buffalo. For young African-Americans...not so much.

Well, I hear what you're saying with all of this, but the reality is that Buffalo is a VERY intolerant place (and I grew up there and still visit). I wish that it weren't true, but it is.

Word.

A lot of these guys are young, single, and have plenty of spending money for dining, dancing, and dames. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to sit home and study game film every night.

Buffalonians are so damn sensitive about any statement they perceive as a disparaging remark about their beloved hometown. Buffalo suits me fine. I grew up there. But how do you expect some kid raised in an urban environment on the Florida panhandle or in Georgia to take to the charms of Buffalo as easily? Thurman just happened to have his wife's family living there, which I'm sure was a huge factor in his decision. Otherwise I doubt he'd be there. What other black athletes have made it their home in recent times?

Buffalo is still a highly segregated area compared to many major metropolises. There are no neighborhoods in Buffalo I know of that I'd say are populated by and marketed to affulent blacks. Here in Atlanta, there are many.

If Dingus Day, Beaver Island, Kissing Bridge, and Rush are what you're into, I highly recommend Buffalo. For young African-Americans...not so much.

So the problem is that Buffalo --- like the rest of the northeast --- is about 90-95% ethno-white. Maybe the feds should institute a forced relocation program like they do for school districts/busing. WNY/Buffalo's done their part by driving a lot of their population to the South. Where's the recipro, yo?

Rueben Brown has stayed in WNY. I'm sure there's others. But, I think the point is this is much less about race than you make it out to be. It's an attitude/preference of the South & West's (and NYC/Boston) big cities vs. the collection of smaller cities and rural that you find in WNY. Some people like life in a smaller, slower community and some people don't. That said, even, the football season isn't that long. The rest of the year, guys can go wherever they like. I don't get all the potshots. And seriously, if they don't find places they like to hang out, why not invest in some? Why not build a hip-hop/etc. club in the city?

You are living in a pretend world.

Jim Kelly signed will Houston of the USFL because he didn't want to come to Buffalo.

He signed with the Bills because the USFL collapsed and he ran out of options.

He laughed at Buffalo.

Wake up !

I've never been to Buffalo but I think I know where most are coming from in that while Buffalo might be a great party town if you fit into the age and ethnic group in a particular area that likes to party but if you don't then you feel out of place. I mean if you are white kid straight out of college you'd love being in a college town like South Bend. But if you are a middle age minority (black, asian, hispanic) in an area that is 90% white then you'd probably feel out of place. I lived in Newport RI for 4 years; everyone in my age group who was white loved it there as they felt it was a party town right on the beach and would bar hop and get drunk stupid! I hated the scene as I'm not a big drinker and the only bars and clubs played techno or rock; both of which I hate! They only had one urban club that was far right as it was nothing but a hole in the wall spot where thugs and chicken heads hung out at! And I know if I were a professional athlete with millions I'd hate living in a town I couldn't enjoy!

Dont act like Atlanta is Miami north. Been to Atlanta a few times, that city could not hold a candle up to Miami as far as nightlife & clubs go. Not many cities can. If you want traffic & lots of it Atlanta is the city for you.

Exactly, this is much ado about nothing. Brett Favre said the same thing about Green Bay and how it really helped his career. I don't see it as a slap at Buffalo just a fact as mentioned above.

I do not look at it as a slap in the face. I just think it is ignorant to say there is nothing to do in Buffalo. There is just as much to do here as there is in most cities.

I've never been to Buffalo but I think I know where most are coming from in that while Buffalo might be a great party town if you fit into the age and ethnic group in a particular area that likes to party but if you don't then you feel out of place. I mean if you are white kid straight out of college you'd love being in a college town like South Bend. But if you are a middle age minority (black, asian, hispanic) in an area that is 90% white then you'd probably feel out of place. I lived in Newport RI for 4 years; everyone in my age group who was white loved it there as they felt it was a party town right on the beach and would bar hop and get drunk stupid! I hated the scene as I'm not a big drinker and the only bars and clubs played techno or rock; both of which I hate! They only had one urban club that was far right as it was nothing but a hole in the wall spot where thugs and chicken heads hung out at! And I know if I were a professional athlete with millions I'd hate living in a town I couldn't enjoy!

What were you looking for a disco bar frequented by minorities?

Well, I hear what you're saying with all of this, but the reality is that Buffalo is a VERY intolerant place (and I grew up there and still visit). I wish that it weren't true, but it is.

Then stay out, go somewhere tolerant, whatever that's supposed to mean.

Word.

There are hundreds of thousands of blacks in buffalo.

Just check out the east side.

You are living in a pretend world.

Jim Kelly signed will Houston of the USFL because he didn't want to come to Buffalo.

He signed with the Bills because the USFL collapsed and he ran out of options.

He laughed at Buffalo.

Wake up !

You need not rewrite history. Kelly got a better offer at the last minute and a passing offense offer from Houston.

Then when the USFL folded his rights were still owned by Bflo. he also landed in the right place at the right time. Oh! By the way he still lives here.

I do not look at it as a slap in the face. I just think it is ignorant to say there is nothing to do in Buffalo. There is just as much to do here as there is in most cities.

There is stuff to do in Buffalo, but it doesn't hold a candle to NY, Chicago, LA, SF, Philly, Boston, etc. Can you keep yourself occupied? Sure. But there is simply not as much to do. I mean we're talking about a radically depopulated city with one of the highest poverty rates in the US. Plus really inhospitable weather for a good portion of the year. Plus an aging population. A large number of solid bars where you can knock back a few pitchers with the fellas plus some 100-year old architectural monuments, a pretty good art gallery, and minor variations on pizza/wings/beef on weck at hundreds of food shacks ain't necessarily going to counteract those negatives for suddenly rich and eligible 26-year olds not from these parts ...

There is stuff to do in Buffalo, but it doesn't hold a candle to NY, Chicago, LA, SF, Philly, Boston, etc. Can you keep yourself occupied? Sure. But there is simply not as much to do. I mean we're talking about a radically depopulated city with one of the highest poverty rates in the US. Plus really inhospitable weather for a good portion of the year. Plus an aging population. A large number of solid bars where you can knock back a few pitchers with the fellas plus some 100-year old architectural monuments, a pretty good art gallery, and minor variations on pizza/wings/beef on weck at hundreds of food shacks ain't necessarily going to counteract those negatives for suddenly rich and eligible 26-year olds not from these parts ...

I hear ya. Those cities you mentioned are world class cities. Buffalo can not compete against them, neither can 99% of the other cities/regions in this country. But when you say there is not much to do here I do not get that. We have skiing; is it Killington or the Rockies? No, but Ellicottville is still pretty neat. We have casinos, is it as good as the main strip @ Las Vegas? No, but it will get the job done. We have musicals at Sheas. Is it broadway, no, not many places are. We have Art Galleries, museaums, several bar districts, beautifull golf courses(I would rate the upper @ Peak n Peak against any public course in the south), we have a beautifull fresh body of water, that is just awesome in the summertime for water recreation, Lake Erie is one of the top notch fishing places for Bass fishing in the entire country, we have an abundance of deer/wild turkey here if hunting is your thing to occupy you in the fall/spring, we have one of the great wonders of the world in Niagara Falls just a long 3 wood away from the cities skyline, we have a collection of the best strip clubs in all of North America just a short drive over the peace bridge, we have some of the best bar food in the country(I will agree if you want some international cuisine from india or something buffalo is not the place to be - who wants that crap anyways), & most importantly we have something that no other city could compete with..... THE BUFFALO BILLS!!!!!!

I just do not understand when people say there is not alot to do here. There is more to the WNY region then just the eastside that you out of town folks seem to concentrate on when putting down the city.