Marshawn Lynch matching Thomas' career

1billsfan

Did you know...

In Marshawn and Thurman's rookie years they both had 18 receptions (I was angry that Lynch wasn't used more in the passing game last year), with Marshawn gaining 1,115 and Thurman gaining 881 in rushing yards.

Thurman followed that up with 60 receptions for 669 yards in his second season, with 1244 in rushing.

Marshawn currently has 42 for 289, with 710 in rushing with five games left.

I'm not saying that they are the same backs, their styles clearly are different. I'm just saying that Marshawn has quietly become a multidimensional weapon just like Thurman became for us.

Marshawn is a VERY physical runner where as Thurman was an agile and elusive runner. I'm just very glad to see them using Lynch in a multitude of ways.

Did you know...

In Marshawn and Thurman's rookie years they both had 18 receptions (I was angry that Lynch wasn't used more in the passing game last year), with Marshawn gaining 1,115 and Thurman gaining 881 in rushing yards.

Thurman followed that up with 60 receptions for 669 yards in his second season, with 1244 in rushing.

I'm not saying that they are the same backs, their styles clearly are different. I'm just saying that Marshawn has quietly become a multidimensional weapon just like Thurman became for us.

Marshawn is a VERY physical runner where as Thurman was an agile and elusive runner. I'm just very glad to see them using Lynch in a multitude of ways.

Not sure that I agree with you about Thomas being "agile and elusive." When I think agile and elusive I think Barry Sanders or Warrick Dunn - guys who made defenders miss. Thomas didn't make many people wiff. He also wasn't very fast and he wasn't a REALLY physical runner (though he was physical - just not a bruiser).

What Thomas had going for him was his vision and his ability to read blocks and follow them. He might be the best back I've ever seen at reading blocks and hitting the correct hole. Thomas also had the ability to "get small" and fit through the tiniest holes while not giving defenders a lot to hit. This helped him with his knack to always fall forward when going down. He also had amazing ballance - I don't know how many times I saw him get turned around and gain an extra 2-3 yards BACKWARDS while going down. Just amazing to watch.

Sorry for derailing the thread but this is the first thing that popped into mind while reading your post.

Not sure that I agree with you about Thomas being "agile and elusive." When I think agile and elusive I think Barry Sanders or Warrick Dunn - guys who made defenders miss. Thomas didn't make many people wiff. He also wasn't very fast and he wasn't a REALLY physical runner (though he was physical - just not a bruiser).

What Thomas had going for him was his vision and his ability to read blocks and follow them. He might be the best back I've ever seen at reading blocks and hitting the correct hole. Thomas also had the ability to "get small" and fit through the tiniest holes while not giving defenders a lot to hit. This helped him with his knack to always fall forward when going down. He also had amazing ballance - I don't know how many times I saw him get turned around and gain an extra 2-3 yards BACKWARDS while going down. Just amazing to watch.

Sorry for derailing the thread but this is the first thing that popped into mind while reading your post.

I meant that compared to Lynch he was was an agile and elusive back. I fully agree that Thomas was no where near Barry Sanders in the elusive department. Thomas was one that never got hit badly, had great cuts and balance as you mentioned. That was what I meant by elusive.

So if I project Lynch's numbers for this year (which is the point you are making), we get Receptions 61 for 420 yards and 1033 yards rushing. The only thing I see similar is the number of receptions.

So if I project Lynch's numbers for this year (which is the point you are making), we get Receptions 61 for 420 yards and 1033 yards rushing. The only thing I see similar is the number of receptions.

My point was that Lynch is becoming a multidimensional threat like Thurman became a multidimensional threat for the Bills. If you aren't seeing the similarities in this respect then we obviously see things differently. Number of receptions becomes a very big stat for a RB when you get into the 60 reception range.

Wow, what's with the nitpicky poo-poo replies? 1billsfan is making a very simple point, that Lynch is improving as a pass-catcher and thereby becoming more valuable to the offense. It's a good point, and something to feel good about. :o

Thanks, I feel good about your support. ;)

I felt the need to point out what's quietly going on, and they just want to look a multidimensional gifted horse of a RB in the mouth and shrug it off with contrary replies. To each his own I guess. Marshawn getting to 60 receptions is a big deal!

i'd feel better if those passes were where marshawn is actually on a route, rather than trent edwards giving marshawn the ball at the LOS and lynch having to break 10 tackles to get a 4 yard gain... but it is nice to see lynch more involved in the passing game.

do we ever run the wheel route w/ our RBs?

Thanks, I feel good about your support. :o

I felt the need to point out what's quietly going on, and they just want to look a multidimensional gifted horse of a RB in the mouth and shrug it off with contrary replies. To each his own I guess. Marshawn getting to 60 receptions is a big deal!

and they have yet to even scratch the surface of what he can do in the passing game.......

and they have yet to even scratch the surface of what he can do in the passing game.......

I agree, he was very good at catching the ball down the field in college. This are progressing very nicely with Marshawn!

That's something to be happy about. :o

i'd feel better if those passes were where marshawn is actually on a route, rather than trent edwards giving marshawn the ball at the LOS and lynch having to break 10 tackles to get a 4 yard gain... but it is nice to see lynch more involved in the passing game.

do we ever run the wheel route w/ our RBs?

Great point. After getting burned two games in a row on wheel routes, why aren't we running that play?

Also, why can't we properly run a screen? The timing is always off--i.e., the o-line slow to get moving or the QB too late to release the ball. The 2-3 screens we ran yesterday were sorry looking.

My point was that Lynch is becoming a multidimensional threat like Thurman became a multidimensional threat for the Bills. If you aren't seeing the similarities in this respect then we obviously see things differently. Number of receptions becomes a very big stat for a RB when you get into the 60 reception range.

The title of your thread was 'some interesting numbers' which implied you are pointing to stats and drawing comparisons. Hence, I called you out on that. I did not contest your points on running style etc.

Did you know...

Forget it, he is not nearly as good as Thurman Thomas and never will be.

Fred Jackson is a better back than lynch anyway.

The more they shift the playing time to Jackson the better off they will be.

Fred Jackson is a better back than lynch anyway.

The more they shift the playing time to Jackson the better off they will be.

Please stop with this nonsense. We have seen your opinion in countless threads on this exact topic. I'd say all but one or 2 posters feel that you are completely wrong in that opinion. Most realize that ML is indeed a very good RB with top 10 potential. Most realize that FJ gets many of his carries on 3rd and long out of a spread and most realize that ML gets the majority of the 3rd and short carries.Most realize that ML runs harder than just about any back in the league today. Most realize that a YPC stat cannot be attributed to a single player as well. Most do feel that FJ is a very nice RB too (that is , not to slight him).