Fewell didn't trust McKelvin...why??

VJ91

Is there any better proof that the NFL has become a league of ego-maniac coaches then Leodis McKelvin's performance yesterday? All we heard up until the kid was forced to start due to injuries, was that he just wasn't ready to play in the complicated Perry Fewell schemes. He was not smart enough to know where to line up or read what was happening. He needed another 7 million hours of film study to be worthy to play in Fewell's defense. So all the kid does in the first game he starts is make two interceptions and run one of them back for a TD.

Or how about this for proof: Edwards telling CBS after the game that the biggest reason he played so well was that Schonert went vanilla and dumbed-down his schemes and formations because of the short week! All Edwards does is throw for two TD's and run for two more.

Let me understand this. Not only does Dick Jauron do nothing but screw up on gameday, he also allows his coordinators to wipe out his playmakers ability to make plays with their talent and instincts by over-complicating their formations and schemes. Yes sir, Dick Jauron really runs a great NFL team. Here's the ironic part. For him to keep his job, he obviously needs to tell his coordinators not to work so hard during the week, and just let his talented players play. I wonder if Dick can even manage to do that much right for the next 5 weeks?

Is there any better proof that the NFL has become a league of ego-maniac coaches then Leodis McKelvin's performance yesterday? All we heard up until the kid was forced to start due to injuries, was that he just wasn't ready to play in the complicated Perry Fewell schemes. He was not smart enough to know where to line up or read what was happening. He needed another 7 million hours of film study to be worthy to play in Fewell's defense. So all the kid does in the first game he starts is make two interceptions and run one of them back for a TD.

Or how about this for proof: Edwards telling CBS after the game that the biggest reason he played so well was that Schonert went vanilla and dumbed-down his schemes and formations because of the short week! All Edwards does is throw for two TD's and run for two more.

Let me understand this. Not only does Dick Jauron do nothing but screw up on gameday, he also allows his coordinators to wipe out his playmakers ability to make plays with their talent and instincts by over-complicating their formations and schemes. Yes sir, Dick Jauron really runs a great NFL team. Here's the ironic part. For him to keep his job, he obviously needs to tell his coordinators not to work so hard during the week, and just let his talented players play. I wonder if Dick can even manage to do that much right for the next 5 weeks?

Wait, are you saying you wanted to see him starting over McGee and Greer, two proven starters? He was 3rd on the depth chart because he's a rookie. I wasn't aware that the coaching staff even needed excuses for not starting him.

McKelvin also had some really bad coverage sequences in the first bunch of games. I don't think he was ready before.

I tend to agree. Rookie corners virtually always get burned and can cost you games, let alone when there is no pass rush.

Also, as much as I view Jauron as a poor coach, I think that he will be proven right in terms of not pulling Trent when he was horrible.

Let me make up this. Not only does Dick Jauron do nothing but screw up on gameday, he also allows his coordinators to wipe out his playmakers ability to make plays with their talent and instincts by over-complicating their formations and schemes.

Corrected for you!

Corrected for you!

Yes I'm making it all up. Dick Jauron is a great coach. I'm sorry to upset you. You're a Bills believer, and I'm not. Thank you for correcting my post. I'll watch for all of your posts defending eveything Dick does from now on.

Wait, are you saying you wanted to see him starting over McGee and Greer, two proven starters? He was 3rd on the depth chart because he's a rookie. I wasn't aware that the coaching staff even needed excuses for not starting him.

So those proven starters, when healthy, were doing a terrific job against Warner, Pennington, Favre and even of all people, Quinn, right? They were playing lights out right? And even when McGee was injured, he was a much better option then the talented McKelvin, right? And of course, let's not forget Fewell putting Reggie Corner in ahead of Leodis too. Corner was a much better option right? When the starters and other back ups are playing LOUSY in front of the rookie CB, yes, I'm afraid Fewell really does need better excuses not to start him or at least let him play the nickel in front of them. And my point was proven yesterday. Wow, one win over a lousy team and all of a sudden we are defending our coaches to the wall.

McKelvin also had some really bad coverage sequences in the first bunch of games. I don't think he was ready before.

What coverage sequences are you referring to exactly? And how much better were those other CB's coverage sequences when the Bills lost 4 games in a row, being torched by every QB?

What coverage sequences are you referring to exactly? And how much better were those other CB's coverage sequences when the Bills lost 4 games in a row, being torched by every QB?

VJ, when there is little to no pass rush at all, it is hard for a rookie corner to learn the game, let alone try to cover a wideout for 8 seconds.

If we had a strong front 4, going with McKelvin early would have been more practical.

I tend to agree. Rookie corners virtually always get burned and can cost you games, let alone when there is no pass rush.

Also, as much as I view Jauron as a poor coach, I think that he will be proven right in terms of not pulling Trent when he was horrible.

Rookie corners cost you games. So what? He certainly did nothing to cost the Bills' their recent 4 consecutive losses sitting on the bench watching his fellow CB's cost the Bills' those games, did he?

Jauron didn't pull Edwards because Losman is worse. Which makes me wonder why management didn't get rid of Losman and find a veteran back up they could have a little more trust in to help Edwards through these tough times. I don't think J.P. has anything of value to offer Trent as far as sage advice while he struggles.

He was lost several times in early games. He's shown steady improvement and hopefully that will continue. With Greer a FA we need him to step up and play opposite McGee.

How to rain on a parade. Do you wake up this miserable every day?

VJ, when there is little to no pass rush at all, it is hard for a rookie corner to learn the game, let alone try to cover a wideout for 8 seconds.

If we had a strong front 4, going with McKelvin early would have been more practical.

Rookie CBs do make mistakes. But are they that much worse than veterans playing with only one leg?

Bill, you're right, there had been little to no pass rush during those 4 losses. But who cares about rookies learning the game when the team is playing so badly? How about him infusing some excitement into the defense by making great plays like his two interceptions yesterday, despite the fact he still hasn't learned the game?

Come on, I know the Bills won big yesterday so we all like the coaches better today. But they drafted this kid with the intention of playing him right away, and Greer and Corner certainly have not proven to me that they should be playing in front of him, despite how much more experienced or smarter they might be. I never said he should start in front of McGee. But I think we would have seen a better result against Ginn Jr. if he would have started in place of the injured McGee a few weeks ago in Miami.

How to rain on a parade. Do you wake up this miserable every day?

Yes I do. I'm miserable every day.....after the Bills blow their chances to make the playoffs each season. I enjoyed the 54 points and the easy win over the horrible Chiefs yesterday. I cheered. I high fived. Then I woke up and looked at the AFC standings and the realization sunk in that the Bills are the worst team contending for a wild card at 6-5-0. Pissed me right off. Remember when the Bills were 5-1 after that nice win over San Diego last month? I woke up happy that next morning.

But I guess you don't care about playoffs, huh? You just get overjoyed and want to throw a parade when the Bills win a game they should win, right? Well, sue me for wanting more then that for my favorite NFL team. And it really pissed me off watching Leodis McKelvin play so well against an offense that had been playing pretty good and improving the past few weeks. Why? Because Perry Fewell told us McKelvin could not play that well.

Whoa, settle down...he had a very nice game against a terrible team and quaterback. Maybe, that is exactly what he needed to gain some confidence. I don't know if you saw the San Diego game, where he was torched, but I'm glad to see he is starting to come around. The good thing is Greers' knee injury may keep him out until the Jets game and maybe Leodis will continue to show improvement against the 49ers and Dolphins

Whoa, settle down...he had a very nice game against a terrible team and quaterback. Maybe, that is exactly what he needed to gain some confidence. I don't know if you saw the San Diego game, where he was torched, but I'm glad to see he is starting to come around. The good thing is Greers' knee injury may keep him out until the Jets game and maybe Leodis will continue to show improvement against the 49ers and Dolphins

Yes the Chiefs are a terrible team overall. But Thigpen had been improving steadily the past few weeks and had like 8 TD's vs. 2 Ints, and had a completion pctg over 60%. Plus as you may have noticed yesterday, Johnson is back running hard again and Gonzalez had another Pro Bowl type game despite his team losing by 20 points.

Hey, the Bills defense overall didn't really play that well, come to think of it. But Leodis McKelvin did not look lost to me, and that run back for the TD was classic speed kills type stuff. And nobody will convince me he could not have helped on defense these past 4 weeks before yesterday, if Fewell would have given him more reps during those games.