Turner Gill

nuklz2594

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heard that Gill might be coaching the Orangemen next year. what do you think?

Well his stock is pretty high right now and the job would mean more money, but I think Robinson screwed Cuse up so bad that Gill couldn't hope for any better than a 3-9 season the first couple years. I'm afraid he'd get run out of town before he got the chance to work his magic. If I were him, I'd choose a rising program like UB over Syracuse. But maybe he'll get an even better offer. He was the second choice after Bo Pellini to take over as HC of Nebraska last off-season, so he does have some national recognition.

heard that Gill might be coaching the Orangemen next year. what do you think?

By "heard" do you mean you read some "gee, what if..." post on an SU fan board? I'm telling you right now Turner Gill does not go to Syracuse. If Gill leaves, he's going to the Big 12 or a major Texas program. He's not going uproot his family just to spend 2-3 years at SU.

If you follow UB football at all, you'd know that Turner Gill is a deeply religious man who is devoted to his family. He also enjoys living in Buffalo and coaching at UB. Just because SU is going to offer him $1M+ isn't going to attract him. Besides, his stock is so high, a move to Syracuse would be seen as a lateral move for him. My prediction is he stays at UB for one more year then heads south.

PTR

If SU offers Gill the job, he'll take it.

As bad as the SU program is, they're still in a BCS conference, and it's a "name" program.

Gill is not desperate for a BCS job. SU is not such a great job anyway; basically the worst team in the worst BCS conference. He can do much better.

PTR

I would be shocked if he left UB for Syracuse. I mean, he had a chance to coach Nebraska last offseason. After this season for UB, he will have much better opportunities than Syracuse.

I agree.

If you look at the openings coming up, names such as Clemson and Tennessee. Even if he doesn't get a big name program like that, whichever school loses their coach to Clemson/Tennessee (Texas Tech if Leech jumps ship?) will in turn look for a replacement

Gill has good chance to jump from Buffalo a mid level FBS team and an outside chance at a big name program

By "heard" do you mean you read some "gee, what if..." post on an SU fan board? I'm telling you right now Turner Gill does not go to Syracuse. If Gill leaves, he's going to the Big 12 or a major Texas program. He's not going uproot his family just to spend 2-3 years at SU.

If you follow UB football at all, you'd know that Turner Gill is a deeply religious man who is devoted to his family. He also enjoys living in Buffalo and coaching at UB. Just because SU is going to offer him $1M+ isn't going to attract him. Besides, his stock is so high, a move to Syracuse would be seen as a lateral move for him. My prediction is he stays at UB for one more year then heads south.

PTR

Tradition and the ACC are a bigger deal than UB and the MAC. I hope he doesn't leave though

Gill is not desperate for a BCS job. SU is not such a great job anyway; basically the worst team in the worst BCS conference. He can do much better.

PTR

Better job than UB. The Big East is not a powerhouse, but they're no worse than the ACC.

As I said, he should strike while the iron is hot. I know that UB has had a couple of close games slip away, but even the staunchest (objective) UB supporter would have to admit that UB could just as easily be 3-8 right now. If that's the case, I doubt that his name is coming up in connection with many, if any, D-1A HC openings.

Turner Gill will get many coaching opportunities in the future (I hope he takes none of them and continues to build this program). He does not have to jump on the SU job...he def can do better. The SU program is in shambles, the Big East conference has become a joke since Miami and WV left, and I agree with a previous post...moving to SU would be a lateral move at best. It is in no way a step up...BCS conference or not.

I think he stays for a while...this team is packed with good young talent, making the future look very bright indeed.

I agree.

If you look at the openings coming up, names such as Clemson and Tennessee. Even if he doesn't get a big name program like that, whichever school loses their coach to Clemson/Tennessee (Texas Tech if Leech jumps ship?) will in turn look for a replacement

Gill has good chance to jump from Buffalo a mid level FBS team and an outside chance at a big name program

My hope is UB starts (unless it has already) a program to move ionto a BCS conference someday. Heck, the school is large enough to support it.

If not, UB will be on a never-ending 3 year cycle with coaches. The good ones will move up, and the lesser ones get canned. That's what mid-major basketball is like at Siena College near me.

My hope is UB starts (unless it has already) a program to move ionto a BCS conference someday. Heck, the school is large enough to support it.

If not, UB will be on a never-ending 3 year cycle with coaches. The good ones will move up, and the lesser ones get canned. That's what mid-major basketball is like at Siena College near me.

Can you pass some of that over here?

Turner Gill will get many coaching opportunities in the future (I hope he takes none of them and continues to build this program). He does not have to jump on the SU job...he def can do better. The SU program is in shambles, the Big East conference has become a joke since Miami and WV left, and I agree with a previous post...moving to SU would be a lateral move at best. It is in no way a step up...BCS conference or not.

I think he stays for a while...this team is packed with good young talent, making the future look very bright indeed.

I think you meant VT, as in Virginia Tech, but I knew what you meant. All the SU talk is just conjecture. Gill is going to get discussed by every school with an opening. Here's where the logic breaks down: It's assumed that 1) Gill is dying to leave UB, and 2) He'll leave for a big raise. If you have paid any attention to Gill you'd know that he is not a man motivated by mere dollars. I'm sure he'd love to be paid, but the number of zeroes in a contract is not why he will take a job.

In fact he is a man of strong faith and a family man who does not believe in uprooting his family. He's already said that God tell him where he's needed. So unless God says head down the Thruway, he ain't goin' to SU. Outside of a big raise, there is very little attract anyone to the SU job. I'm not saying SU won't get someone decent, just not Gill.

PTR

Can you pass some of that over here?

If someone said 3 years ago that U of South Florida would be a BCS school, or 5 years ago that Rutgers would be a national power, you'd have said the same thing. So never say never about UB.

Consider that the Big East only has 8 football programs. That is not enough for a BCS conference. It's not out of the question that UB could one day be invited to the Big East for football only.

PTR