Reed vs. Hardy

HardyBoy

I noticed something a few weeks back.

I cannot remember the exact game, but it was definetly after Reed was injured. Hardy ran a drag route from the left wideout, and Trent through the ball behind him. Either Edwards miss threw the ball, or Hardy miss timed the route. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Edwards.

Parish relys on his quick separation, and if he moves slowly is easily neutrilized with a bump at the line. Hardy does not seem to have the patience as of yet, and if Evans is the primary receiver he is the first look(obviously) or he is running dummy routes to open the middle and intermediate routes for the other receivers.

Seems to me that Reed is the only receiver on the team that can be used as a saftey valve, because a) he is big/strong enough to fight through a bump at the LOS and b) is where he is supposed to be when Edwards goes through his progressions and is looking for a saftey valve. This might be the reason that Johnson was successful on Monday night.

Remember Hardy was a primary receiver in college, while Johnson was not, making Hardy's job of being a security blanket an entirely new skill he needs to aquire. When Reed comes back, I am sure Edwards will look and feel a lot more comfortable, and not be forced to utlize his backs as much, allowing the same backs to stay in for protection, helping give Edwards more time to throw, and if they still drop 7/8 in coverage Lynch or Jackson can slip out and be an extra valve. We all saw how dangerous they can be in the open field.

I cannot remember the exact game, but it was definetly after Reed was injured. Hardy ran a drag route from the left wideout, and Trent through the ball behind him. Either Edwards miss threw the ball, or Hardy miss timed the route. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Edwards.

Parish relys on his quick separation, and if he moves slowly is easily neutrilized with a bump at the line. Hardy does not seem to have the patience as of yet, and if Evans is the primary receiver he is the first look(obviously) or he is running dummy routes to open the middle and intermediate routes for the other receivers.

Seems to me that Reed is the only receiver on the team that can be used as a saftey valve, because a) he is big/strong enough to fight through a bump at the LOS and b) is where he is supposed to be when Edwards goes through his progressions and is looking for a saftey valve. This might be the reason that Johnson was successful on Monday night.

Remember Hardy was a primary receiver in college, while Johnson was not, making Hardy's job of being a security blanket an entirely new skill he needs to aquire. When Reed comes back, I am sure Edwards will look and feel a lot more comfortable, and not be forced to utlize his backs as much, allowing the same backs to stay in for protection, helping give Edwards more time to throw, and if they still drop 7/8 in coverage Lynch or Jackson can slip out and be an extra valve. We all saw how dangerous they can be in the open field.

Bottom line is that Trent and Hardy are not on the same page. Hardy has been open several times and Trent has missed him. 3 were for scores. There is a LOT of Hardy bashing going on but someone is throwing the ball

Bottom line is that Trent and Hardy are not on the same page. Hardy has been open several times and Trent has missed him. 3 were for scores. There is a LOT of Hardy bashing going on but someone is throwing the ball

polish is exactly the reason that Steve Johnson is taking Hardy's reps from him. Hardy can be great but in the NFL you have to know what you're doing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/500382.html

polish is exactly the reason that Steve Johnson is taking Hardy's reps from him. Hardy can be great but in the NFL you have to know what you're doing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/500382.html

So if S Johnson takes Hardy's place on the outside, and run the deep routes and the many Jump ball attempts he would be out producing James? I got to see this. So if you take the LB that has been covering Johnson and put a DB on him, he will outproduce James? Great if it happends but I think Johnson would be in the same boat.

So if S Johnson takes Hardy's place on the outside, and run the deep routes and the many Jump ball attempts he would be out producing James? I got to see this. So if you take the LB that has been covering Johnson and put a DB on him, he will outproduce James? Great if it happends but I think Johnson would be in the same boat.

Fair enough. I got one for you now.

If you were to take Hardy and put him in the middle, up against a LB, would he be out prooducing S Johnson?

Wasn't Reed lining up on the outside anyway on many plays?

Go watch videos on Hardy in college on youtube, and watch him with the Bills. You have 2 different players. In some ways its like Buffalo got ripped off.....Hardy is clearly not the same type of player he was in college. Now can that change? Yes it can. College ball is way different then NFL ball. I just hope to see a glimpse of him here soon. I thought he turned the corner when he played the Jags, but.......he didnt. Steve Johnson on the other hand is not a bad WR at all. I like him on the field.

Go watch videos on Hardy in college on youtube, and watch him with the Bills. You have 2 different players. In some ways its like Buffalo got ripped off.....Hardy is clearly not the same type of player he was in college. Now can that change? Yes it can. College ball is way different then NFL ball. I just hope to see a glimpse of him here soon. I thought he turned the corner when he played the Jags, but.......he didnt. Steve Johnson on the other hand is not a bad WR at all. I like him on the field.

That may have to do as much with confidence as with anything else. Look at Edwards after the three picks; complete lack of self confidence, no swagger whatsoever. I think that with Hardy, success will lead to more success. He can't play like the big man on campus if he doesn't feel like he is even on campus (if that makes sense).

Fair enough. I got one for you now.

If you were to take Hardy and put him in the middle, up against a LB, would he be out prooducing S Johnson?

Wasn't Reed lining up on the outside anyway on many plays?

Sure. Not to mention He would be productive and people would get off his case IE Johnson

Wow, great observations. Allow me to simplify: James Hardy can't memorize his play book and remember his routes.

You call him unpolished, I call him lazy.

As a second round draft pick, he should be taking all the time he needs to understand routes in the NFL. What the heck else does he need to do on any given day? Radio shows? TV shows? Madden '09? Out clubbing till 4:00 AM?

He should be ashamed of himself now that 7th rounder Johnson is playing in front of him. For years we look forward to a tall receiver, and the Bills draft a 6'5 air head who isn't trusted to even run 4 steps, turn around and catch a high 5 yard pass on 3rd and 4.

Or how about 1 yard? Was he on the field for that pathetic 3rd and one last Monday when Turk had 4 wide outs and an empty backfield? If he was, how could he not be the one to throw the quick jump ball to for 2 or 3 yards? Why did Edwards throw that duck over to the sidelines to somebody completely covered? I have no idea what Hardy will become. Right now I'm not liking him or his lack of effort very much. I'm rooting for Stevie Johnson to keep improving and become the steal of the draft.

Wow, great observations. Allow me to simplify: James Hardy can't memorize his play book and remember his routes.

As a second round draft pick, he should be taking all the time he needs to understand routes in the NFL. What the heck else does he need to do on any given day? Radio shows? TV shows? Madden '09? Out clubbing till 4:00 AM?

He should be ashamed of himself now that 7th rounder Johnson is playing in front of him. For years we look forward to a tall receiver, and the Bills draft a 6'5 air head who isn't trusted to even run 4 steps, turn around and catch a high 5 yard pass on 3rd and 4.

Or how about 1 yard? Was he on the field for that pathetic 3rd and one last Monday when Turk had 4 wide outs and an empty backfield? If he was, how could he not be the one to throw the quick jump ball to for 2 or 3 yards? Why did Edwards throw that duck over to the sidelines to somebody completely covered? I have no idea what Hardy will become. Right now I'm not liking him or his lack of effort very much. I'm rooting for Stevie Johnson to keep improving and become the steal of the draft.

I'm also sick of hearing that the wide receiver position needs 3 years to develop. I live in Philly and the Eagles' Jackson, also a rookie, has almost become the go-to receiver here.

Read this. Get a clue before you speak.

By Allen Wilson

This is a tale of two Buffalo Bills rookie wide receivers.

One, James Hardy, was a highly touted second- round draft pick. The other, Stevie Johnson, was a virtual afterthought who was lucky to even be drafted.

While Hardy has occupied a higher spot on the depth chart, Johnson is gaining ground in a hurry.

Johnson was a surprise starter Monday night against the Cleveland Browns instead of Hardy, who started the previous two games and three overall.

Johnson also got more offensive snaps and finished with three catches and 41 yards. Although Josh Reed is expected to return Sunday, the coaching staff believes Johnson has earned the right to continue getting playing time. And based on what transpired Monday night, that playing time may come at Hardy’s expense.

“[Johnson] has a good grasp overall of what we’re trying to do, so he gives us the best chance to go in there and make some plays,” said Bills receivers coach Tyke Tolbert. “Steve has kind of gotten ahead of him as far as the learning curve is concerned, so that’s why he got most of the reps in the game this past week. Although James got some reps as well, Steve got most of them because of his grasp of the offense.”

Much was expected of Hardy. The Bills envisioned the 6-foot-5, 212-pounder would give them a big, physical complement to No. 1 receiver Lee Evans.

But other than Hardy’s game-winning touchdown catch at Jacksonville in Week Two, big plays have been few and far between. He has only nine catches for 87 yards this season. His other touchdown was a garbage-time score at New England two weeks ago. He had started two straight games (three overall) before serving a limited backup role against Cleveland.

“It was surprising, but you can only control the controllable and that was something I couldn’t control,” Hardy said of his diminished role Monday night. “Most of the plays that I’ve been out there I think I’ve done well. But evidently it hasn’t been enough. It’s a learning process. I just have to adapt, keeping working hard and get better.”

Why has Johnson come along so quickly? His college background certainly helped.

In the NFL, receivers must be able to read coverages and adjust their routes according to how the defense is playing them. Johnson did all of that at Kentucky, which ran a pro-style passing offense against top Southeastern Conference defenses.

Hardy, on the other hand, didn’t play in a sophisticated offense at Indiana and ran routes regardless of the coverage.

“It’s a lot of things he never had to do before he got here this year, and Steve did them all the time in Kentucky,” Tolbert said. “So that definitely has something to do with the maturation process of a wide receiver in the NFL.”

It’s far too early to label Hardy a disappointment, however, according to Tolbert.

“You’ve got guys who haven’t even played that are rookies,” Tolbert said. “Some guys who are rookies have sparingly played and some rookies have played a lot. I think it’s different with every team and every particular individual.

We’re fortunate to have guys who can step in there and play and James can learn from those guys and kind of grow. He’s doing a good job of that. Nobody works harder than James on and off the field. He stays late, comes early. He has a laptop and he has all our cut-ups on it and he looks at it at home. Lee goes to his house and helps him study film. He works at it hard. It just takes longer than some guys than others.”

Johnson was inactive in five of the Bills’ first seven games and has made only four appearances. But it was obvious back in training camp that he had the skills to play in the NFL.

And when Reed got hurt, Johnson took advantage of his opportunity.

“Who knows how any game is going to go,” said Johnson, who has six catches for 72 yards this season. “Who would have thought I would be starting a game on a Monday night? Whatever package it is and I’m thrown in, I’ve got to be ready for it. Whether it’s the third quarter or fourth quarter of the game or starting the first and second quarters you’ve got to be ready no matter when your time is.”

Johnson’s time almost didn’t come on draft day as 223 players were picked before the Bills grabbed him, even though he was a first-team All- SEC selection by College Football News after becoming the fourth Kentucky receiver to top 1,000 yards in a season (1,041).

Though not as big as Hardy, Johnson has the size (6-2, 202) to shield small defenders and make plays on balls in the air.

“I had a very high grade on him, much higher than where he got drafted,” Tolbert said. “We were fortunate that after we fulfilled our needs when we got to the seventh round he was still there.

“I really like both of our rookies. They have a lot of upside and we’re excited about their future here.”

Where have youread or heard that he doesn't know the playbook? Pleease post the information, you say it like it is fact

Read this. Get a clue before you speak.

We’re fortunate to have guys who can step in there and play and James can learn from those guys and kind of grow. He’s doing a good job of that. Nobody works harder than James on and off the field. He stays late, comes early. He has a laptop and he has all our cut-ups on it and he looks at it at home. Lee goes to his house and helps him study film. He works at it hard. It just takes longer than some guys than others.”

“I really like both of our rookies. They have a lot of upside and we’re excited about their future here.”

That says it all pretty much.

As for the original point, there's no question Reed is the 2nd best receiver they have right now. He's better from the slot, but I'd still rather have him lining up wide than Hardy, Parrish OR Johnson.

Maybe Hardy would look better if he didn't have a safety up in his face every play. Once in a while, why not let him run a go route and see what happens one on one? Instead, it's Evans, every damned time. Lee goes deep, or runs a dig. He doesn't often do slants or crosses. It makes it that much easier for defenses to figure out what Hardy is doing.

Johnson played in a much better conference against better competition overall in the SEC. He also played in a more pro style offense at Kentucky than did Hardy at Indiana. Both of those factors likely contribute to the fact that Johnson is more ready to contribute at the NFL level than is Hardy. McKelvin took quite a few games to come around, and has finally shown what the Bills saw in him with his kick return ability, and almost had an INT in the Browns game as well. It appears we are going to finally see what McKelvin is all about now, since he likely will be starting with Greer out. Hardy is probably in the same boat as McKelvin---guy from a smaller football program that likely got by more on his athletic talent than his knowledge of his position in college. Happens all the time in college. Is a big shock when they can't do it in the NFL. Some adjust well, others don't. Jury is out on Hardy, so I guess over the next few years we will see which it is...