An Objective View of Edwards

StupidNation

A few things I want to say about Edwards, and first of all he's not nearly as bad as some people clamoring for JP. JP was never a good QB, and when he showed flashes of greatness they were always deep balls. He was never a consistent QB that could do much in this league. When he leaves next year you will see what I mean.

Unto Edwards:

-He's a scared QB, even when he's playing well, and I never saw it until recently. He either doesn't trust himself or his receivers. I remember watching Manning practice with Harrison and Manning would consistently throw the ball before Harrison was even cutting there. Good QBs and good WRs do that consistently. Trent only throws when there is separation in the same direction of the route that he can guage and then throws.

-Either the staff or himself doesn't like the deep ball and should try at least 3 times a game. Sorry, he's got to go over 20+ yards in the air a few times to Evans or Parrish and either Edwards or the staff has to call for it if nothing else but to loosen up his conservative approach to the game.

-His INTs are disturbing considering he's a conservative QB. The one INT in particular with the Browns was based solely on the fact Edwards throws short passes and he was waiting in front of the receiver just expecting it. I think if can work on those deeper passes it would stop the CBs from doing that.

-On the bring side he has the tools and the mental game to regroup and turn it around. Let's hope that our brilliant coaching staff can help him. He has played pretty well in 3 or 4 games this year when we weren't running the ball and carried the offense.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things I want to say about Edwards, and first of all he's not nearly as bad as some people clamoring for JP. JP was never a good QB, and when he showed flashes of greatness they were always deep balls. He was never a consistent QB that could do much in this league. When he leaves next year you will see what I mean.

Unto Edwards:

-He's a scared QB, even when he's playing well, and I never saw it until recently. He either doesn't trust himself or his receivers. I remember watching Manning practice with Harrison and Manning would consistently throw the ball before Harrison was even cutting there. Good QBs and good WRs do that consistently. Trent only throws when there is separation in the same direction of the route that he can guage and then throws.

-Either the staff or himself doesn't like the deep ball and should try at least 3 times a game. Sorry, he's got to go over 20+ yards in the air a few times to Evans or Parrish and either Edwards or the staff has to call for it if nothing else but to loosen up his conservative approach to the game.

-His INTs are disturbing considering he's a conservative QB. The one INT in particular with the Browns was based solely on the fact Edwards throws short passes and he was waiting in front of the receiver just expecting it. I think if can work on those deeper passes it would stop the CBs from doing that.

-On the bring side he has the tools and the mental game to regroup and turn it around. Let's hope that our brilliant coaching staff can help him. He has played pretty well in 3 or 4 games this year when we weren't running the ball and carried the offense.

:thumbdown:

This is a huge problem, and one that has me wondering why. Turk made a big point of this in the pre-season, saying the best QBs have a high yards-per-attempt average and said he would make sure Trent had a high one, too. That is the opposite of what has been happening since the losing started.

This is a huge problem, and one that has me wondering why. Turk made a big point of this in the pre-season, saying the best QBs have a high yards-per-attempt average and said he would make sure Trent had a high one, too. That is the opposite of what has been happening since the losing started.

It's not the play calling either (at least I don't think it is). Edwards will have options on each play...short, medium & long. He is simply unwilling to try the long ball. Very curious and frustrating.

when you check it down to your outlet every pass play, this is to be expected. unless the RB puts forth a superhuman effort (like lynch did last game) and accumulates huge RAC, the YPC is going to suck.

It's not the play calling either (at least I don't think it is). Edwards will have options on each play...short, medium & long. He is simply unwilling to try the long ball. Very curious and frustrating.

Agreed. But Turk needs to get into Trent's face and tell him to grow a pair and throw the damn ball downfield. If getting into his face doesn't work, he needs to get into his head.

when you check it down to your outlet every pass play, this is to be expected. unless the RB puts forth a superhuman effort (like lynch did last game) and accumulates huge RAC, the YPC is going to suck.

Right, but Turk wasn't talking about YPC; he was talking about yards per attempt, how far the ball is actually thrown.

Right, but Turk wasn't talking about YPC; he was talking about yards per attempt, how far the ball is actually thrown.

YPC = net gain of a completion. all these little checkdowns are killing both the YPC and YPA, even with Lynch's best efforts.

-On the bring side he has the tools and the mental game to regroup and turn it around.

You say he has "the mental game" to turn it around - and you are basing this observation on what?

Did you grow up with him, see him overcome obstacles in the past and persevere?

Are you his psychologist?

Seen evidence on the field of a resurgent confidence?

Please explain, because I've seen no such evidence.

Unto Edwards:

Jp has not been consistant. He also had no consistency around him from either the team or coaching. When he leaves next year you may be right but the odds are just as great you will be wrong. Trent thus far has shown no more consistency than JP. Wait I take that back. In their careers JP has consistently improved while Trent has consistently gotten WORSE.

Jp has not been consistant. He also had no consistency around him from either the team or coaching. When he leaves next year you may be right but the odds are just as great you will be wrong. Trent thus far has shown no more consistancy than JP. Wait I take that back. In their careers JP has consistantly improved while Trent has consistently gotten WORSE.

On what do you base your opinion that JP consistently improved?

Check through the JP Trent threads his stats have been posted.

JP was a roller coaster ride. Stretches (sometimes even entire games) where he played very well interrupted by stretches where he lost his mind (took the worst sack imaginable, threw the most inopportune pick, missed open receivers at critical times). He's a player that (to me) showed just enough to keep you interested and believe that he would become the real deal...until you reach such a point that you realize that it will likely not happen. I reached that point with JP.

I wish him well...hope he proves everyone wrong, just not against us. He was screwed up by this organization from very early on. What could he have done? Don't know, probably never will.

(one other thing...stats can be made to say pretty much what you want them to if you look hard enough)

JP was a roller coaster ride. Stretches (sometimes even entire games) where he played very well interrupted by stretches where he lost his mind (took the worst sack imaginable, threw the most inopportune pick, missed open receivers at critical times). He's a player that (to me) showed just enough to keep you interested and believe that he would become the real deal...until you reach such a point that you realize that it will likely not happen. I reached that point with JP.

I wish him well...hope he proves everyone wrong, just not against us. He was screwed up by this organization from very early on. What could he have done? Don't know, probably never will.

(one other thing...stats can be made to say pretty much what you want them to if you look hard enough)

To me a sack is not as bad as a turnover. I know JP also had those, but his for the most part were like punts, where Trent's are much closer to the line of scrimmage. Many for pick 6's. The thing about JP for me is even when the Bills were behind, I had faith JP could bring the team back. I was begining to see that in Trent but he has regressed badly. I think both may be better than average QB's in the long run, only time will tell. I think the Bills should continue to play Trent this year. One of three things happen. 1) Trent picks it up & plays like he did at the begining of the season, the Bills make the playoffs. 2) Trent slowly improves, the Bills miss the playoffs, but Trent gains experience for next year. 3) Trent continues to suck, the Bills will need to look for a QB in the offseason.

Doesn't anyone think it's a little too much of a coincidence that he played with confidence, little fear and GREAT vision of the field ... until he suffered a concussion?

The brain's a funny thing. Although he's been pronounced "ready" to play...he's clearly not quite there yet. And being a young guy he's lost his confidence. And clearly the coaching staff has lost its confidence in him.

When he made that TD Monday night, did you notice how he made a POINT of insisting his blocker take that ball afterwards, in gratitude...like "you did this, not me". Trent has the skills, the work either and the character. It sucks that he's slumping now but I am betting that he'll come out and when he does there will be no looking back.

I just hope it's THIS year! B-)

They are calling the long balls, he just isn't throwing them. All they can do is call a play with a deep route being the primary route, they can't make him throw it rather then checking down.

He was literally a scared rabbit out there. I am hoping that was just a fluke, a one time only thing we will never see from him again. An NFL QB simply can't play this game scared.

You say he has "the mental game" to turn it around - and you are basing this observation on what?

Did you grow up with him, see him overcome obstacles in the past and persevere?

Are you his psychologist?

Seen evidence on the field of a resurgent confidence?

Please explain, because I've seen no such evidence.

The Raiders and the Jags this year, and Washington last year. Both times he was down, playing ok (not bad or good) and just brought himself and his team to a different level to win. JP would never have passed deep down the middle in the last moment of the game, nor would many QBs. He not only threw it, but threw a strike in crunch time.

He has shown toughness when the game was reachable and tried reaching for it and has had flashes of, (gulp) greatness, for a QB so young. The confidence can be there, and so is the mental game.

What's he's lacking are those exact same features what made him good, as well as the timing routes to pass before the WR is there and more confidence in this routes and reads to his WRs. If you haven't seen Trent above average in the mental game you haven't seen the same thing as many, including the experts, see in him. Rich Gannon, after watching him in the Jets game, said that his rookie performance was one of the best he's ever seen. A rookie who goes out and plays like he did deserves more recognition than "he sucks the last 4 games."