Greg Robinson is fired!!!!!!!

The Poojer

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/200...ll_coach_g.html

Syracuse University head football coach Greg Robinson was fired on Sunday by director of athletics Daryl Gross, ending a turbulent era that began with great optimism only to deterioriate into misery, hopelessness and the worst four-year run in the program's 119 years of competition.

Robinson's record at Syracuse is 9-36 overall and 3-24 in the Big East. The Orange is 2-8 and 1-5 after losing to Connecticut 39-14 on Saturday night at the Carrier Dome. The Orange has remaining games against Notre Dame on Saturday and Cincinnati November 29. Robinson, who has a year remaining on his contract and earns $1.1 million per season, is expected to coach the Orange for the last two games.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/20...t_on_firin.html

STATEMENT FROM DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS DR. DARYL GROSS REGARDING THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM

I have made the decision to move our football program in a new direction and have informed Greg Robinson that his tenure as Syracuse's head coach will end at the conclusion of this season.

Coach Robinson worked very hard to try to establish a winning program, one that could eventually compete for the conference championship on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the progress we expected to see has not occurred.

Greg has been professional and honorable in how he has handled his responsibilities as head coach. He has been dedicated to teaching and guiding the student-athletes in his charge, and passionate in wanting Syracuse to be a quality and successful program.

I thank Coach Robinson and his entire staff for creating a highly competitive culture in which our players never gave up, and for his development and leadership of our student-athletes in the classroom and community. His commitment to community service was outstanding. He leaves the program with a solid base on which we will continue to build. We wish Greg and his family the very best moving forward.

The timing of this announcement allows us to end rumor and speculation and provides us ample time to hire a head coach who has shown the capability to produce a winning football program that the Syracuse nation can be proud of. That process will begin immediately and will remain confidential until a selection is made.

I'll pass on Turner Gill...his defenses have been horrid. The Bulls have had a good year, but I wonder what they'll do next year without Willy.

Consider that the UB defense is almost all frosh. I think they've been okay considering their inexperience. But I hope everyone else passes on Gill for a few more years. FYI: Gill was a QB coach for Green Bay before coming to UB. Willy's development as a QB can be credited to Gill. UB will still have Starks and Roosevelt.

PTR

I'll pass on Turner Gill...his defenses have been horrid. The Bulls have had a good year, but I wonder what they'll do next year without Willy.

Funny, Gill is the name I've heard being talked up outside Buffalo ... but most of those people think he can do better than taking the SU job.

well, most people in the central ny area are talking edsall, he knows the program, knows the northeast football recruiting game....turner gill is trying to get back to big 12 like ptr said....i think

Funny, Gill is the name I've heard being talked up outside Buffalo ... but most of those people think he can do better than taking the SU job.

al davis being an alum, and assuming big contributor to the cuse, would probably "dissuade" them from talking to kiffin....at least thats what i would think....

Excellent point. One would hope they see that being beholden to Al probably isn't in their best long term interest, though. Al can help keep two teams down, one NFL team on the west coast, and a NCAA team on the east coast.

BTW, I'm not sure they would hire Kiffin, but it will suck if Al keeps him from getting any consideration.

well, most people in the central ny area are talking edsall, he knows the program, knows the northeast football recruiting game....turner gill is trying to get back to big 12 like ptr said....i think

Lateral move for Edsall, isn't it? Nah, strike that: didn't his team just beat the snot out of SU?

And yeah, I'm thinking K-State and Washington will both be giving Mr. Gill a call. Whether he listens, on the other hand ...

Lateral move for Edsall, isn't it? Nah, strike that: didn't his team just beat the snot out of SU?

And yeah, I'm thinking K-State and Washington will both be giving Mr. Gill a call. Whether he listens, on the other hand ...

Well, you couldn't really blame him for taking either of those jobs, IMO. I hope he holds out, and stays another year, or two, though.

If he doesn't go to Clemson, they should talk to Kiffin.

Has Kiffin every recruited, or really had anything to do with running a college football team? It's such a huge job, and SU is so far in the crapper, I don't think Kiffin is the type they should be looking for (unless I'm wrong about him and he had far more responsibility at USC than I've heard before).

EDIT: I just did a quick search, and apparently he did do a year (maybe 2) of recruiting after Chow left. Again though, I think there is a big difference between what he did there under Pete Carroll and what he would have to do as the HC of a team like Syracuse.