Anyone see the story on the Sabres

Indy Dave

Good article. At least it takes an objective view of the situation, rather than giving us the usual slurs and derogatory comments about our fair city.

This lock-out situation has the possibility of killing small market teams. Here's a little advice from duey to the players and the owners... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Don't count on it.  NHL All Star and two time Stanley Cup winner Scott Gomez today signed with the Alaska Aces of the ECHL.  He stated in his press conference he expects to play the season with the team.

85425[/snapback]

Give me a break! What's Gomez making with these guys? $500/night?? No way signing with these minor league or European clubs can these players even come close to making an NHL contract $$$. It doesn't even make sense. It's like quiting your $50,000/yr job to go to China and make $5/week. These players must have the financial IQ of a hockey puck on its side, ZERO!!

What if he blows out a knee and never plays again?

Give me a break!  What's Gomez making with these guys?  $500/night??  No way signing with these minor league or European clubs can these players even come close to making an NHL contract $$$.  It doesn't even make sense.  It's like quiting your $50,000/yr job to go to China and make $5/week.  These players must have the financial IQ of a hockey puck on its side, ZERO!!

85602[/snapback]

Yeah, it's all well-and-good when you can live off your past money. Let's see him try and play a SECOND year in the ECHL. It all depends on whether the small-market owners can weather the storm for a year or so, because the reward is much greater ultimately (i.e. with revenue sharing and a salary cap).

85602[/snapback]

I think I read in The Hockey News a couple months back that the NHLPA requires them to get insurance when they play for a non-NHL team. So a knee injury could end or shorten a career, but he'd be fine financially.

Give me a break!  What's Gomez making with these guys?  $500/night??  No way signing with these minor league or European clubs can these players even come close to making an NHL contract $$$.  It doesn't even make sense.  It's like quiting your $50,000/yr job to go to China and make $5/week.  These players must have the financial IQ of a hockey puck on its side, ZERO!!

85602[/snapback]

He has insurance commensurate to his NHL salary ($2.9 million, US). As he said in the press conference: "I could fall down on the sidewalk leaving here and be done. Hockey players don't think like that." We're also talking about a guy who built a new home for his parents and bought the small house he grew up in from them for himself. Not exactly your average multi-millionaire.

He didn't give his opinion on the lockout, other than to say he expects to play the season with the Aces. That's pretty accurate from what my hockey contacts tell me.

my guess is that there will be a season starting in december.

the reason I believe this is because many fo the players have bitched about adjusting to european culture and some players have returned already.

hopefully something gets resolved so I have a chance to cheer for a potentially winning buffalo sports team. :angry:

its so nice that these players are bitchin about makin 5 mil a year instead of 3 mil a year while my uncle is now going without 41 games of pay as a security guard at HSBC...

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: NHL players

my guess is that there will be a season starting in december.

the reason I believe this is because many fo the players have bitched about adjusting to european culture and some players have returned already.

hopefully something gets resolved so I have a chance to cheer for a potentially winning buffalo sports team.  :angry:

85646[/snapback]

The way I see it, there can be no alternative except for revenue sharing and a salary cap, like the NFL have. A luxury tax is a joke like in MLB, as is a "soft" cap like in the NBA. The players however say they won't go for that, so this could drag out for well past the season, until the players get desperate enough. I just have to believe that the owners have to look out for the best interest of the league long-term, even if it means huge losses presently. The players WILL concede eventually, when they all start to realize the problems playing abroad pose.

Well, at least the article said Buffalo is only $20 million in the hole. It's more like four times that amount at least plus Erie County is $135 million short next year. Things aren't going so well here.

85724[/snapback]

I just bought Bethlehem Steel.....we're going to get the mill up and running again.

:lol::lol::D

Screw Gecko and his little call center in Amherst.

:angry::D

Well, at least the article said Buffalo is only $20 million in the hole. It's more like four times that amount at least plus Erie County is $135 million short next year. Things aren't going so well here.

85724[/snapback]

Let's hear it for unions, nepotism, and big government!!!! Yea!!!!!

My God, WTF!!! Did Don Barone have a girlfriend from Buffalo who dumped him in a bad way, or is he just playing out the usual media hype that Buffalo is a "got nothing town" angle without checking it out! That was one of the most depressing descriptions of Buffalo that I have ever read!

What really bothers me is the fact that Buffalo really does suffer from the lack of NHL games and the dollars that the games bring. What the owners and players are doing is just plain selfish and dumb!

The sport already suffers from true national support and therefore lack of TV interest. The owners and players are playing a dangerous game of chicken with the fan, and it could well cost them the league or a good portion of it. Can you say, "contraction"? :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

its so nice that these players are bitchin about makin 5 mil a year instead of 3 mil a year while my uncle is now going without 41 games of pay as a security guard at HSBC...

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: NHL players

85654[/snapback]

As fans, we're getting screwed to an extent. But as the article rightfully claims, it's people like your uncle who are truly being shafted, and therein lies the tragedy

Yeah, I know, the owners locked them out, the NHLPA didn't call for a strike, but I lay this at the feet of the players. One of the things I always loved about hockey players was that they were a down to earth bunch of guys. To a man, I still believe that, but collectively, they need to wake up and face the realities of their sport: Very few of us care, and those that do are the losers in this whole mess.