Next year's first round pick - it's obvious to me.

Yes this team has several key needs - LB, DT, Center, Guard, TE.

But there is one position in particular that I'm now 100% convinced needs to, and will be, the top priority in the draft: defensive end. Our non-Schobel DEs have THREE TACKLES this season? Not to mention their failure to generate any consistent rush. And while you can find quality interior offensive linemen later on in the draft, you usually can't find a stud DE after the first half of the second round. And, something tells me that they'll be content enough with Williams, Stroud and Johnson not to target DT with their first pick.

I'm willing to bet that we go DE number one next year.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. The only other position worth looking at in the 1st Round is OC. Both Fowler and Preston are free agents, and Fowler needs to go. Preston is a a subpar but hardworking backup.

Yes...DE in round #1 unless the top 3-4 DE are taken before we draft in the round. If so, DE in round #2.

But there is one position in particular that I'm now 100% convinced needs to, and will be, the top priority in the draft: defensive end. Our non-Schobel DEs have THREE TACKLES this season? Not to mention their failure to generate any consistent rush. And while you can find quality interior offensive linemen later on in the draft, you usually can't find a stud DE after the first half of the second round. And, something tells me that they'll be content enough with Williams, Stroud and Johnson not to target DT with their first pick.

I agree but I'd be happy with the highest rated LB or DE. If a much higher rated LB is available I would say grab him.

I agree that DE and center are the top two needs and only hope if we take one of em' with our 1st rounder a worthy player at the other position is available at the 2nd round pick. Most of the time you have to get that DE early (besides getting lucky with a Strahan or Osi U) so I'm hoping we go DE first and get lucky and Jonathan Luiggs is still available when we pick in the 2nd round. I think Mack goes late 1st and Luiggs mid to early 2nd so my fingers are crossed. I'm also considering a bigger type DE like Tyson Jackson who probably won't ever become a year in year out 10-15 sacks type guy but someone who will be good/great vs the run and can collapse the pocket as well. The speed rusher types are so hit and miss I'm willing to try something a little different.

Peppers and Suggs, two guys the Bills will never make a play for. As for OLB, Channing Crowder is a player I wouldn't mind stealing away from Miami. He would be a slight upgrade over a healthy Crowell, which would be fine if we continue to run this same defense. I'd like a DT or OG/OC in free agency as well.

FA will affect who we draft #1

Who are the FA DE's out there in 2009 offseason?

We also are desperate for a OLB and a C.

We should be able to address at least 2 key positions in the offseason via FA

I'd love to see them sign a center and draft a center, just for good measure. It seems like in the past few years the FO has not been drafting decent backup linemen in the mid-to-late rounds. They took Butler and now he starts, but I think they could use a little depth to suplant Whittle/Preston/Fowler as the center/backup guards. I wouldn't mind seeing Preston come back next year, but I definitely want to see two new faces there.

Yep. Most teams grab an early-round one when it falls to them.

B'gals picked Justin Smith #1 in 2001. 8.5 sacks his rookie year, after - averages 5 to 6.

He was critizied for that average. But what he did, was contain his side, put pressure on the backfield, season after season. A consistent, 60 tackle+ per year stopper. Seldom out with injury.

He has 40 tackles, 3 sacks at mid-season with a weak SF club this year.

But some call him a bust because of the lack of big sack numbers. There's much more to the position than those numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/players/justinsmith/profile?id=SMI446020

It would be a good bet...

Assuming all the CB's and Safeties are gone of coarse... :blink:

I'm thinking Tyson Jackson at LE could give us that type of production stuckincincy, and it would be a perfect compliment to a healthy Schobel for a couple years. We will need a RE very soon too......... :blink:

Tyson jackson is a 3-4, maybe a complimentary 4-3 kind of end. We need pass rushers, not complimentary players. The thing I worry about with a compliment type d-end is exactly the problem we have now. We have no play making ends, in the event schobel goes down. I think Greg Hardy or Middleton would be a better fit. Personally I'd like to get suggs in free agency, cut our losses with denney and kelsay, and draft another dt a wlb a center and te.

Tyson jackson is a 3-4, maybe a complimentary 4-3 kind of end. We need pass rushers, not complimentary players. The thing I worry about with a compliment type d-end is exactly the problem we have now. We have no play making ends, in the event schobel goes down. I think Greg Hardy or Middleton would be a better fit. Personally I'd like to get suggs in free agency, cut our losses with denney and kelsay, and draft another dt a wlb a center and te.

Not to denigrate your opinion at all, but I'm not sure where that information is coming from. Tyson Jackson is NOT a 3-4 hybrid player. In fact, he splits his reps at LSU between DE and DT, since he weighs close to 290 lbs.

The best Buffalo could hope for is for Brian Orakpo from Texas to be on the board. He is a lighter, quicker 4-3 DE that gets sacks and is not a liability against the run. He also tends to excel against the toughest competition, as he's had great games against first-rate tackles like Phil Loadholdt and Russell Okung of Oklahoma, Michael Oher of Ole Miss, and Ciron Black of LSU.

I think he meant a 3-4 "bigger" type DE bandit. The reason I listed Jackson is because I believe we will miss out on all the potential "playmaking ie. sackmasters" as usual. I'm all for pulling the trigger should Hardy or Orakpo be available at our pick.

I think it all depends on where Bills pick..if they actually make it to the playoffs this season it could put them at to high of a pick to get a 1st round DE...also ,like said earlier, It depends on what the Bills do in FA.....I like my sig, even tho I play arround with it a lot and change it up some :blink: