Bledsoe vs. Matthews

What does Bledsoe have over Matthews? He has the threat of pitching a long ball. If you care to check out Matthew's career stats, you see a far fewer percentage of sacks, and a favorable td/int ratio.

Matthews scrambles a bit when necessary, avoids sacks, throws the ball out of bounds when appropriate, can effectively throw short, and he is smart. Recall his pre-season action, after being what? - one day with the team.

During April's draft, the STL coach Martz, when asked what he consideres important in a qb, stated unequicovably that it was not arm strength or notable physical talents (see Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith for example), it was smarts, it was awarness of the situation at hand.

I can't see how, at 1 -5, the Bills will step even further backwards with Matthews. They may do better. But let's see...

Matthew's num's:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4719

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ego and arrogance will insure that this will never happen. TD opens himself up for too much criticism to replace DB with an off the street free agent no matter how bad Drew plays. Of course, Drew is just a sack away from an injury which would force MM's hand.

Ego and arrogance will insure that this will never happen.  TD opens himself up for too much criticism to replace DB with an off the street free agent no matter how bad Drew plays.  Of course, Drew is just a sack away from an injury which would force MM's hand.

84363[/snapback]

Sad to say, you are right. The Bill's biggest impediment is it's management - we all recognize odors that drift down from the top...

I suppose some wil say that Bledsoe's "potential" of the long ball (BTW, I checked Farve-DB-Testaverde, vets with similar numbers of seasons played for % of "long balls" - 40+ yards. They all come in at about 2.5% of completions) makes defenses "adjust accordingly". We only have to look at DB's tenure here to debunk that.

Ego and arrogance will insure that this will never happen.  TD opens himself up for too much criticism to replace DB with an off the street free agent no matter how bad Drew plays.  Of course, Drew is just a sack away from an injury which would force MM's hand.

84363[/snapback]

That's a complete falsehood. Facts refute that. If Donahoe was worried about that, he would never have Drafted McGahee. He would never have cut Shaw. He never would have let Gash go. Hell, he never would have drafted JP, for God's sake! He never would have fired Williams.

Facts refute what you think.

I can't comprehend why Matthews has not seen some playing time. Is he that bad? If he is, why did we sign him? The rap on Matthews is that he lacks arm strength. But aren't the Bills trying to run a ball-control dink-and-dunk offense now? An offense that Drew Bledsoe is incapable of running becuase Mr. Cannon-Arm has to fire a 3-yd screen pass like it was fired from a Howitzer?

We are 1-5 and Coach M acts like Matthews would be any worse than Bledsoe? I don't understand.

PTR

I can't comprehend why Matthews has not seen some playing time.  Is he that bad?  If he is, why did we sign him?  The rap on Matthews is that he lacks arm strength.  But aren't the Bills trying to run a ball-control dink-and-dunk offense now?  An offense that Drew Bledsoe is incapable of running becuase Mr. Cannon-Arm has to fire a 3-yd screen pass like it was fired from a Howitzer?

We are 1-5 and Coach M acts like Matthews would be any worse than Bledsoe?  I don't understand.

PTR

84422[/snapback]

There's a reason Mathews is the 4th string QB (behind Bledsoe, Brown, Losman) and was out of the league until two injuries in one week hit the QBs.

CW

If he is, why did we sign him?

Ummm...Brown was cut, Losman was hurt and the next quarterback on the list was BF in Indiana.

Putting in Matthews is wrong and will do NOTHING to improve our situation because he has had limited time under center. Attach JP to Bledsoe and Wyche, and when we're completely out of it and Losman is fully healed...put him in and get him going. He could theoretically have seven or eight games under his belt this year before he gets going next year.

There's a reason Mathews is the 4th string QB (behind Bledsoe, Brown, Losman) and was out of the league until two injuries in one week hit the QBs.

CW

84438[/snapback]

Because he wasn't the 1st overall pick in the draft, and the Bills didnt' spend a 1st round pick on him and pay him millions of dollars?

Because he wasn't the 1st overall pick in the draft, and the Bills didnt' spend a 1st round pick on him and pay him millions of dollars?

84450[/snapback]

Read my post again and when you fully comprehend the ENTIRE sentance instead of focusing only on the part you want to, then reply.

It's better to be quiet and have people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and erase all doubts.

CW

Read my post again and when you fully comprehend the ENTIRE sentance instead of focusing only on the part you want to, then reply.

CW

84455[/snapback]

Huh?

Is Matthews going to rattle off six wins in a row for the Bills. Probably not. And Bledsoe won't either. Either guy might win a game here and there, but they're not going to ignite a playoff run.

We're all hanging fire right now waiting for Losman to get healthy. He needs to follow the Leftwich program this year.

Right now switching Matthews for Bledsoe is nothing more than a cosmetic change. Bills fans should be preparing to take their lumps with J.P. in hope of better things to come.

CW

84455[/snapback]

Doesn't that make the assumption that the Bill's management is astute, and puts Matthews where he is in the pecking order because of their vast knowledge? (sarcasm). Their recent record belies that... :blush:

Is Matthews going to rattle off six wins in a row for the Bills.  Probably not.  And Bledsoe won't either.  Either guy might win a game here and there, but they're not going to ignite a playoff run.

We're all hanging fire right now waiting for Losman to get healthy.  He needs to follow the Leftwich program this year.

Right now switching Matthews for Bledsoe is nothing more than a cosmetic change.  Bills fans should be preparing to take their lumps with J.P. in hope of better things to come.

84466[/snapback]

Right...let's not mess with the "team chemistry"...let's just lose with Drew until JP is ready.

PTR

"Stop selectively reading my posts even though you quoted my entire post", blah blah, wah wah....

When in doubt, argue semantics instead of football.

Always a sure sign of a defeated argument.

Get over youself - #11 sucks and everyone knows it. I'm convinced that anyone who says otherwise is just doing an attention stunt like a little kid - you can't POSSIBLY believe anybody could be worse right now.

"It's better to be quiet and have people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and erase all doubts."

Take some of your own advice.

Doesn't that make the assumption that the Bill's management is astute, and puts Matthews where he is in the pecking order because of their vast knowledge? (sarcasm). Their recent record belies that... :blush:

84472[/snapback]

Except that the entire NFL passed on Mathews. If you're going to complain about Buffalo's management not knowing what they're doing and that's why Matthews was 4th on the depth chart, then you have to say that every team in the NFL has crappy scouting since he was out of the league until late in training camp (and after the injuries to our 2nd and 3rd stringers).

CW

Dude... Matthews was never 4th string. He wasn't brought in until Travis Brown got injured. The Bills went into the last preseason game with Bledsoe, Matthews and Zolman.

When the dust settled, the Bills kept 3 QBs on their roster...

1) Bledsoe

2) Matthews

3) Losman

Now Matthews is only 3 carreer percentage points worse than Bledsoe and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, he didn't have the advantage of playing with a LT or cneter with the pedigree of Armstrong and Wolobaugh, nor a TE like Ben Coactes, RB like Curtis Martin, or a wr like Terry Glen to pad his stats. And, he didn't have a coach like Bill Parcells to prop him up.

Yeah, Matthews is sad.. but not any worse than Bledsoe. And I'll bet you he'd be better than Bledsoe under center for the Bills right now. Bledsoe is finished... stick a fork in him... he's got 3 games max as the Bills starter.

Uh...you realize matthews is our #2, and has been all season, right? Brown is now on indianapolis (i think.., but he is not here).