Am I the only one who thinks our LBs ...

SoCal Pat

... are incredibly overrated?

Wait ... for them to be overrated, someone must be drinking the Kool-Aid and thinking they're all-world.

OK, so they're not overrated. How about just plain average, bordering on mediocre?

Kawika Mitchell, outside of SD, has shown little to me. Ellison has always sucked and Posluszny just isn't showing he's a difference maker. Getting pancaked like he did on Jones' TD run was embarrassing to watch.

Sure, it doesn't help that Marcus Stroud seems interested in being dominant no more than once a month, and I know we miss Schoebel, but our LBs just aren't getting the job done at all. Sure, everyone's struggling right now but this unit just hasn't played great for any stretch of time this season.

A big part of the problem is depth/injuries. The Bills signed Mitchell with the idea of having him play SLB, with Crowell being a short term solution at WLB. They drafted Bowen expecting him to be a ST freak this season, and then replacing Crowell when he left after this season. With everyone healthy, the backup LBs would've been Ellison, DiGeorgio, and Bowen.

Of course, it didn't work out that way. Bowen was put on IR during training camp. Crowell threw the Bills a curve by deciding to have surgery right before the season started. DiGeorgio got hurt and put on IR a few weeks ago.

In your last paragraph you mention the other big part of the problem. A defensive unit has to play as a TEAM. It's only as strong as it's weakest link. If the DL or DB play is substandard, that limits Fewell's options as to what schemes he can use for the LBs.

yeah they haven't been to great, Poz is learning, Ellision plays 1/2 time tough, and Mitchell? I missed seeing him today again.

Overall though, it is a unit that needs the players around it to help out more because of the injuries and Crowell situation. I give them a little bit of a pass.

Bowen was not drafted with the hopes of him EVER starting. Let's clear that up right now. Mitchell and Posluszny have only average speed for todays game as well. The polish community has overrated him big time although I think he's a very solid player. I have no problems with either guy but a replacement for Ellison is a must. I'd take Crowell back if he wanted to but we'll probably need to get someone in free agency. Unfortunately, D line is a much bigger problem...........

yeah they haven't been to great, Poz is learning, Ellision plays 1/2 time tough, and Mitchell? I missed seeing him today again.

Overall though, it is a unit that needs the players around it to help out more because of the injuries and Crowell situation. I give them a little bit of a pass.

I saw Mitchell trailing on several running plays.

i made a few missing person reports on behalf of our LBs yesterday.

Poz showed up for a couple plays (at most) but he also got DRIVEN 9 yards back into the endzone by Mangold, as well as taken out of many plays.

im not sure if it is really lack of talent (with Poz and Mitchell) or if it is just bad scheming (i hate the tampa-2, always have always will)

regardless, out LBs have been rendered a non-factor and have completely disappeared except for 2 big plays against SD and maybe a play or two against NYJ

... are incredibly overrated?

Who had them highly rated?

Wait ... for them to be overrated, someone must be drinking the Kool-Aid and thinking they're all-world.

OK, so they're not overrated. How about just plain average, bordering on mediocre?

They've looked average for the most part this season. They've had their moments though, so there's hope that they'll become more.

Kawika Mitchell, outside of SD, has shown little to me. Ellison has always sucked and Posluszny just isn't showing he's a difference maker. Getting pancaked like he did on Jones' TD run was embarrassing to watch.

Mitchell has been a bit of a disappointment to me also, in that teams are still able to run to the outside (something he was brought in to remedy), plus we still don't do a great job of generating much of a pass rush, particularly from the outside (again, the reason he's here). As for Ellison "always" sucking, he was actaully pretty good in his rookie season. In fact, he was the most consistent LB we had that year, and that includes Crowell. Posluszny has shown flashes, but needs to put it together and really begin to terrorize opponents. It would help for Stroud and Williams to do a better job of holding up @ the line, but Pos has the ability to get in there and make something happen even if they don't.

Sure, it doesn't help that Marcus Stroud seems interested in being dominant no more than once a month, and I know we miss Schoebel, but our LBs just aren't getting the job done at all. Sure, everyone's struggling right now but this unit just hasn't played great for any stretch of time this season.

Stroud needs consistency and Williams needs......well, he needs to get started. Missing Schobel? I guess, but the team misses the overall ability to pressure QBs and force bad throws even more. They didn't have that even w/ Schobel in the lineup. Like I said before in another thread, fix the problem.

I'm happy we have both Mitchell and Poz but neither one belong on a "who is the best player on the Bills" poll. Neither have great speed an Poz actually isn't very good at all at shedding blocks. I know LB's "shouldn't have to" but it's gonna happen every now and then no matter what. If we had a LBer with great speed and pass rush ability to go along with Mitch and Poz we'd have a great group. As of now they are average. But, yeah Bill, Poz is only in his 2nd year so he will get better, but I wouldn't say Pro Bowl caliber, but a guy who is great to have on your team though.