Their paying the Refs off! Pats "perfect" game???

I'll play devil's advocate and say that it may not necessarily be just the Patriots*, but the NFL's officials are just terrible lately. Over the past...say....5-6 years, the officiating just keeps getting worse.

The next time you see a tough call - like a questionable catch on the sideline/in the end zone, a fumble that may not be a fumble, or whether or not a QB's arm goes forward when he loses the ball - watch the closest official. I'll almost guarantee that 95% of these guys will hesitate, then make a call *after* consulting with another official.

It's as if these guys are afraid to make the wrong call and be embarrassed of being overturned by replay.

I dont think I have ever heard of a team NOT getting 1 single penalty against them, other then the one that was declined.

Look, let's all face reality, how many times have we been told that the NFL is a Business, and we are to believe that there is

no monkey business? The way they manipulate (fix) games is so subtle, officiating, scheduling, marketing, fines, etc., etc.

that it is hard to pick up on. We here about tough decisions within in individual teams, and again the reference to, "it's a busines", well it's not just a business for the individual teams, but the whole NFL. It is in their best interest to see that

certain big market teams flourish, and make it to the playoffs, at least. But you see the subtle way can only take you so

far, then it becomes more obvious to everyone what is going on, as the leauge becomes more bolder and powerful, they

know that they can get away with it. Just look at other industries, like Steel, for example, many top executives who previously worked for a rival, get together, sometimes under the auspicies of trade meetings, they set policy, and all of the

others follow suit. You could probably term it collusion, but they get away with it too.

The NFL is just too powerful, period, and they are ruining the game, despite the fact that many would say that it is flourishing, it will catch up to them eventually. Their excessive greed will eventually be their downfall. I think, that if you are smart, the best thing that we can do as fans, would be to take what we want, that is what is still free anymore, and

eschew the rest. No more buying packages to assure that you will see all of your fantasy results, I don't buy jerseys, why?

The guy is likely to be gone anyway in a couple of years, an they are way overpriced, the only way that I go to a game, is

if one of my buddies has an extra, company paid for, ticket, we need to do anything we can to knock them off of their high horse, and little things do add up, and matter.Call me paranoid, a conspiracy theoriost, whatever, but it is what it is.

It's as if these guys are afraid to make the wrong call and be embarrassed of being overturned by replay.

Agreed and one of the reasons why a lot of people never liked instant replay. The refs think about it way too much now instead of just making the call.

Question:

Last week when jauron challenged the punt saying the player touched the ball out of bounds, which he clearly was out. How did this call stand on the field. I was at the game and they showed he had 1 foot in and 1 foot out, not sure the ruling on this.

Any clarification?

Look, let's all face reality, how many times have we been told that the NFL is a Business, and we are to believe that there is

no monkey business? The way they manipulate (fix) games is so subtle, officiating, scheduling, marketing, fines, etc., etc.

that it is hard to pick up on. We here about tough decisions within in individual teams, and again the reference to, "it's a busines", well it's not just a business for the individual teams, but the whole NFL. It is in their best interest to see that

certain big market teams flourish, and make it to the playoffs, at least. But you see the subtle way can only take you so

far, then it becomes more obvious to everyone what is going on, as the leauge becomes more bolder and powerful, they

know that they can get away with it. Just look at other industries, like Steel, for example, many top executives who previously worked for a rival, get together, sometimes under the auspicies of trade meetings, they set policy, and all of the

others follow suit. You could probably term it collusion, but they get away with it too.

The NFL is just too powerful, period, and they are ruining the game, despite the fact that many would say that it is flourishing, it will catch up to them eventually. Their excessive greed will eventually be their downfall. I think, that if you are smart, the best thing that we can do as fans, would be to take what we want, that is what is still free anymore, and

eschew the rest. No more buying packages to assure that you will see all of your fantasy results, I don't buy jerseys, why?

The guy is likely to be gone anyway in a couple of years, an they are way overpriced, the only way that I go to a game, is

if one of my buddies has an extra, company paid for, ticket, we need to do anything we can to knock them off of their high horse, and little things do add up, and matter.Call me paranoid, a conspiracy theoriost, whatever, but it is what it is.

That's not conspiracy theory, that's just the truth. NE gets away with holding, blatantly, 5 times a game. It's so bad I have a hard time watching them play the Bills, and not just now, but for the past 6 years.

Question:

Last week when jauron challenged the punt saying the player touched the ball out of bounds, which he clearly was out. How did this call stand on the field. I was at the game and they showed he had 1 foot in and 1 foot out, not sure the ruling on this.

Any clarification?

They ruled he touched the ball prior to stepping out of bounds which makes the play legal. Had he stepped out of bounds and then touched the ball, it would have been illegal touching and a 10 yard penalty.

Another thing that you notice if you're watching the game especially on TV is that the refs dictate when they want the clock to run and when they want it to stop, during the middle of quarters especially. At one point in the game last week, Marshawn ran out of bounds untouched, and the ref wound the clock immediately for some reason and it continued to run. Other times I'll notice that the player will be brought down in bounds, but the ref will stop the clock for a TV time out. TV time outs are only supposed to take place when the clock is actually stopped from the result of a play/ penalty, not when the ref feels like stopping it (I think?).

As far as the replay system and missed calls, I think that now there are so many cameras, and we get the different angles so fast, that we're actually in a better position to make the calls than the refs. Even 5 years ago, they didn't have all of the cameras that they have now. I think that eventually, all the calls being made will come from a guy in a booth surrounded by TV's, because it's pretty clear that the refs are having increasingly more trouble keeping up with the plays and the technology.

I like the thought process here because it is very plausable that a league could for instance have a silent agreement for teams to pass on a particular player in a draft so he drops to a team in a bigger market as just one example.

I suspected that regarding Jay Cutler.

There are so many ways the game can be manipulated to increase TV ratings and therefore revenues.

I think people would have to be foolish to dismiss the posibility.