WHEN WILL DONTE GIVE UP A BIG PLAY???

YOOOOOO

To those bashing Whitner.....He doesnt get INT's...he doesnt get PD's......

HELLLLLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the ball isnt thrown his way how is he suppose to compile these stats??? Watch the game yesterday....How many passes were thrown his direction??

Good luck finding more then one....

When was the last time people threw at Palamalu?? He still makes plays on the ball. Whitner is good, now we need him to be great. Jump rountes of other recievers when your at free safety. Make tackles behind the line when your in the box. He needs to become an impact player who can win us a game, the same way Mitchell did 2 weeks ago. Being steady is one thing, being dominant is another.

If the ball isnt thrown his way how is he suppose to compile these stats??? Watch the game yesterday....How many passes were thrown his direction??

Whitner is average, not great! He is a non impact player. You can't keep making the argument "they don't throw at him", for him never being where the ball is. That is the job of the safety, get to the ball run or pass. He does neither often.

You know I had a bunch of smart-ass comments ready for all the Whitner naysayers but then I realized it is a fruitless battle Yoooooo. Everyone here is an obvious expert at what Whitner should be doing on the field so there's no point in arguing. All I can say is thank God the morons here don't work for the Bills FO. We could be 19-0 but if Whitner had 0 int's then our season would be considered a failure by some of the "smarties" here.

last year he WIFFED on McGahee and gave up a 40+ yard TD

1 play last year, eh? that means he is not perfect! smack him!

i am not saying whitner is great. he is good and above average though. i don't understand why people can't be happy with the fact that he didn't turn into a mike williams bust. i mean, seriously. just because whitner isn't a pro bowler doesn't mean we failed. if we failed with picking whitner, then what was mike williams?

Whitner is average, not great! He is a non impact player. You can't keep making the argument "they don't throw at him", for him never being where the ball is. That is the job of the safety, get to the ball run or pass. He does neither often.

In our base Cover 2 every defender is responsible for an area of the field......If team doesnt throw into his area....that means he is doing the exact job in this defense....

I like Whitner...I really do...

I don't think He walks on water like some Folks around here do...But I like the Kid...He's a good Player...

I think the MAIN point that needs to be taken from this recent anti-Whitner uprising is the fact that on the list of things wrong with the Bills currently...Donte Whitner is WAY, WAY down on that list...WAY down...

That does not mean He's above reproach entirely...Who is? But blaming Whitner for the Bills problems on Defense is definitely a bit rediculous... :wallbash:

How about the TWO deep in's by Ginn, the one resulting in the 60-something yard play.

Nice try.

1 play last year, eh? that means he is not perfect! smack him!

i am not saying whitner is great. he is good and above average though. i don't understand why people can't be happy with the fact that he didn't turn into a mike williams bust. i mean, seriously. just because whitner isn't a pro bowler doesn't mean we failed. if we failed with picking whitner, then what was mike williams?

Williams = historic bust

Whitner = slight reach. So far, anyway.

In our base Cover 2 every defender is responsible for an area of the field......If team doesnt throw into his area....that means he is doing the exact job in this defense....

Donte's area when he has deep responsibility is deep. Teams don't throw deep against us? Missed that.

Obviously it's not that simple, of course, but it's not that simple for your argument either. We don't run cover 2 every play, not even close, and Donte's responsibilities switch all the time.

But Cover 2 safeties on other teams make big plays.

I like Whitner...I really do...

I don't think He walks on water like some Folks around here do...But I like the Kid...He's a good Player...

I think the MAIN point that needs to be taken from this recent anti-Whitner uprising is the fact that on the list of things wrong with the Bills currently...Donte Whitner is WAY, WAY down on that list...WAY down...

That does not mean He's above reproach entirely...Who is? But blaming Whitner for the Bills problems on Defense is definitely a bit rediculous... :wallbash:

I totally agree with you, I am glad he's on the team, and he's way down the list of problems.

However, the folks who are complaining are looking at it from another angle, and they have a legitimate point. One way to judge performance is to compare performance with what the team gave up to get the player. That is where people have a problem with Donte.

Donte took a bad angle on the play with the Raiders and we got burned for a TD this year. Dante got burned out of his jockstrap by Ginn on a few plays. He does give up more plays than that, but those just stand out.

Now even in a Cover 2 the safeties DO make plays. Next, as someone else mentioned, we don't always run the Cover 2. No one throws to a safety, that's not their role, their role is to cover where the pass is going. The question isn't why doesn't the QB throw at Donte, but why Donte doesn't make a play at the ball. I know that might seem hard for some of you to understand, but that's why good safeties play their position. I've never seen a QB throw at Reed or Polamalu but they make plays at the ball.

My biggest problem is Gates 2006 and 2008 with the Charges. There is a reason they put Scott on him rather than Whitner who was brought in here precisely to stop the new offenses that are TE heavy. Well why did we take him off? Because he's not sufficient to do it. Many of the arguments of why we got him are now thrown out the window.

Hell, I don't need INTs, I just need to see him break up some pass plays. If anything thinks the role of the safety should be "wait until the WR catches the ball, then tackle him" I would love you to rethink how the position is played. We could've done the same thing with a FA mid-grade guy. If Donte was brought in to help stop the run then Ngata was our man.

Donte took a bad angle on the play with the Raiders and we got burned for a TD this year. Dante got burned out of his jockstrap by Ginn on a few plays. He does give up more plays than that, but those just stand out.

OK call out the plays, were Donte got toasted by Ginn yesterday.....ill rip them and youtube them for all of us to see....

OK call out the plays, were Donte got toasted by Ginn yesterday.....ill rip them and youtube them for all of us to see....

Well he did look pretty silly getting turned inside out on the Ginn 60 yarder just before mitchell punched the ball out.

Well he did look pretty silly getting turned inside out on the Ginn 60 yarder just before mitchell punched the ball out.

Again were talkin coverage here......

and on that play i thought Whitner did a great job cutting off Ginn's angle...and allowing Mitchell to have a chance to come from behind and strip that ball....

Again were talkin coverage here......

and on that play i thought Whitner did a great job cutting off Ginn's angle...and allowing Mitchell to have a chance to come from behind and strip that ball....

And why are we just talking coverage here? is that his only responsibility? or does that just help your case?

yah he had the angle, he should get there..... and make the tackle.

I would have loved to see him "Stick" it to Ginn in that 3rd quarter reception rather than the fly over and arm tackle. He stopped him, but he could have "stuck" him, lights out and perhaps Ginn may have been hesitant crossing the safeties territory. The same with the Ricky Williams TD.

And why are we just talking coverage here? is that his only responsibility? or does that just help your case?

yah he had the angle, he should get there..... and make the tackle.

No were talking about coverage because there seems to be a few people on this board who seem he doesnt get INT's or PD's cuz he is terrible in coverage.....its simply not true.....He's actually very good in coverage....which is why his zone area is rarely tested in the pass game.....

Now as far as his run defense is concerned, he still has his flaws there...for sure....he takes bad angles at times(Giants&Jags game last year clear examples)...Whitner has gotten better, year to year in his run support.....

but on that play...he did what he had to....cut off Ginn's angle....lets be real Ginn is much faster then anyone on our D...Whitner cut his angle made Ginn have to try a semi juke which considerably slowed him down....allowing Mitchell to come from behind and knock that ball loose....unfortunitely it went out of bounds......

I would have loved to see him "Stick" it to Ginn in that 3rd quarter reception rather than the fly over and arm tackle. He stopped him, but he could have "stuck" him, lights out and perhaps Ginn may have been hesitant crossing the safeties territory. The same with the Ricky Williams TD.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=highlights <----check the game highlights.....at 1:24....Ginn catches the ball on a 10 yd post in...and Whitner charges in, lowers the shoulder...but Ginn saw him coming and dropped low to avoid it....Whitner still gets him good though