Shot at division title is in the balance now...

Boatdrinks

While it's been argued elsewhere on this board that yesterdays game was the least critical of this 3 game division gauntlet, I disagree. It may have been the MOST critical. While most would probably say that the Bills should win this week at home vs NYJ, @Miami was probably our best chance to go 2-1 in the division. Does anyone really think that we have a better chance to win in New England than at Miami? We've had success at Dolphin stadium in the past. We haven't won at NE since probably the late 90's. If I was a betting man, I don't bank on that streak ending this year. If we won yesterday, we're probably 7-2 going into the Monday night game with Cleveland and in good shape for the division. Now we're probably 6-3 with a 1-2 division mark. Our "home game" against the fish is in freakin' Toronto. A game I actually have felt unsure of all season. We won't see NE again until week 17. It may not matter then. Amazing how one division loss can change things, but throw in an injury to Reed with no viable backup and an ailing secondary and things are looking tough. Division contests don't get any bigger than next Sunday. Even if we win we're swimming upstream for awhile unless we now figure out how to win at Gillette. It's not over by any means but an opportunity was lost yesterday and it may get worse soon.

I wouldnt say there is no viable backup for Josh Reed... the dude hasent caught a touchdown in 2 years, its not an enormous loss. James Hardy and Steve Johnson are just going to have to step up their game.. At least Evans is healthy.

While it's been argued elsewhere on this board that yesterdays game was the least critical of this 3 game division gauntlet, I disagree. It may have been the MOST critical. While most would probably say that the Bills should win this week at home vs NYJ, @Miami was probably our best chance to go 2-1 in the division. Does anyone really think that we have a better chance to win in New England than at Miami? We've had success at Dolphin stadium in the past. We haven't won at NE since probably the late 90's. If I was a betting man, I don't bank on that streak ending this year. If we won yesterday, we're probably 7-2 going into the Monday night game with Cleveland and in good shape for the division. Now we're probably 6-3 with a 1-2 division mark. Our "home game" against the fish is in freakin' Toronto. A game I actually have felt unsure of all season. We won't see NE again until week 17. It may not matter then. Amazing how one division loss can change things, but throw in an injury to Reed with no viable backup and an ailing secondary and things are looking tough. Division contests don't get any bigger than next Sunday. Even if we win we're swimming upstream for awhile unless we now figure out how to win at Gillette. It's not over by any means but an opportunity was lost yesterday and it may get worse soon.

I agree with most of your observations. We should have had that game yesterday. We were simply flat.

I wouldnt say there is no viable backup for Josh Reed... the dude hasent caught a touchdown in 2 years, its not an enormous loss. James Hardy and Steve Johnson are just going to have to step up their game.. At least Evans is healthy.

Reed has been the unsung hero this year. He's made several clutch grabs for 1st downs, and has has been simply outstanding at blocking DBs and keeping them out of the play.

Not having Reed is BIG.

Hardy is not even close to being a decent replacement.

Johnson? He hasn't even been able to crack the 47 man active list. Give me a break.

Spare me all the hand-wringing. It's all even-steven.

If the Bills deserve the division title and/or high playoff seeding, they'll have to prove it by beating their main rivals for those lofty positions. If the Bills lose, they don't deserve the rewards that come with it.

If the Bills split with each of their division teams, they should still be in decent shape to at least make the playoffs. If they get swept by any of those teams, they probably don't deserve much more than a wildcard, if that.

They're 5-2 and still in real good position to take the division. But so are the Patriots. That matchup will determine the outcome of the division, I predict.

Frankly, your post is kind of silly, with 9 games still remaining. You are putting way too much stock in yesterday's game, and the next two games(assuming we don't lose all three). Nothing was ever a lock, and nothing is out of the question.

Suppose we are 6-3, as you suggest--which may be likely(say beating the Jets and losing to NE). The Bills next four games are Cle, at KC, SF and Miami--all very winnable games(all games in which the Bills will be favored--probably by a touchdown or more). Even if they lose one, that gets them to 9-4 with three games to go at NYJ, at Den and home against NE. If they split the first two of those games, they are 10-5 facing NE on the last game of the season at home. A very good(and fun) place to be if you ask me--and something a playoff caliber team ought to be able to get to given the schedule. If they can't get to 10-5, they don't deserve anything anyway...CD

6-3 is very likely. If we don't beat the Jets...ugggggh season may be over

Frankly, your post is kind of silly, with 9 games still remaining. You are putting way too much stock in yesterday's game, and the next two games(assuming we don't lose all three). Nothing was ever a lock, and nothing is out of the question.

Suppose we are 6-3, as you suggest--which may be likely(say beating the Jets and losing to NE). The Bills next four games are Cle, at KC, SF and Miami--all very winnable games(all games in which the Bills will be favored--probably by a touchdown or more). Even if they lose one, that gets them to 9-4 with three games to go at NYJ, at Den and home against NE. If they split the first two of those games, they are 10-5 facing NE on the last game of the season at home. A very good(and fun) place to be if you ask me--and something a playoff caliber team ought to be able to get to given the schedule. If they can't get to 10-5, they don't deserve anything anyway...CD

Only a TD favorite against Miami? Heck, they should be favored by @ least 20.

Really? Who caught last TD at New England by Bills? Josh Reed I believe.