Concern over our top 3 draft picks

Mikie2times

I agree you can't make a judgment on a rookie, they need time to develop. That said I’m starting to get concerned about our top 3 picks.

McKelvin was highly touted as a return man in college, even more so then he was at corner. So far on returns McKelvin looks hesitant and sub par. He hasn't brought anything to our return game and is nowhere near the skill level of McGee in that category.

At corner we really could have used him today. Apparently the coaches feel an unhealthy McGee is still a better option then McKelvin. That doesn’t sit well with me. Rookies CAN make an impact at corner and in the return game. Right now McKelvin can’t make an impact at either

While I’m concerned about McKelvin, our next two picks really scare me.

Hardy has no explosion, no ability to separate, no agility. He’s not good at running routes and he’s not physical. The word gumpy comes to mind when I watch him move. While it takes Wide Receivers the longest to adjust, I just don’t see him ever developing.

Is Ellis even on the team? You would hope he would get involved in the rotation with Schobel out. Instead we saw Copeland Bryan. Who the heck is Copeland Bryan and why is he better then our 3rd round pick?

My observations are quite a bit different.

While it's early, right now McKelvin has "bust" written all over him. Nate Clements had already played a lot of nickel early in the season and earned a starting job by this point in his first season. McKelvin didn't play a single snap at nickel in the preseason, and the coaches had so little faith in him they didn't put him in for a single play today to replace someone who was obviously getting burned due to playing hurt.

OTOH, I'm very optimistic about Hardy. Of course he doesn't have breakaway speed, but he has all the other physical tools to become an outstanding possession receiver. He has a big learning curve as far as running routes; he never had to adjust his route in college based on coverage. (i.e. "hot read") The "agility" comment is comical to say the least. I suggest you go back and review that TD catch he made in the corner of the endzone.

I don't know enough about Ellis to form an opinion yet. He was active for last week's game, but didn't play. He played sparingly today, but wasn't noticeably better/worse than anyone else on the DL.

The success of a young corner and a young wide receiver is almost always dependent upon the success of an offensive and defensive line. Don't expect to find out how talented Hardy is or what McKelvin could be until we get a real pass rush and establish even a mediocre overall run game.

Nightcrawler

Hardy - I think you underestimate the time it takes a WR to develop.

WR's probably have the largest transition time outside of QB. I did factor that in. I feel like I can factor that out to some degree because he lacks certain must have skills to play WR. Skills that will not improve with time and have no relevance to experience.

He can jump, he's tall, he has good hands, and he has good straight line speed. Thats what I would say he's good at. What he's missing is the physical skills to get open, which above all is the most important aspect of being a WR. He has no quickness, no agility, no explosiveness. I just don't see him ever being able to create separation. Lot's of over sized WRs have a problem with this and as a result many have busted.

WR's probably have the largest transition time outside of QB. I did factor that in. I feel like I can factor that out to some degree because he lacks certain must have skills to play WR. Skills that will not improve with time and have no relevance to experience.

He can jump, he's tall, he has good hands, and he has good straight line speed. Thats what I would say he's good at. What he's missing is the physical skills to get open, which above all is the most important aspect of being a WR. He has no quickness, no agility, no explosiveness. I just don't see him ever being able to create separation. Lot's of over sized WRs have a problem with this and as a result many have busted.

One thing to keep in mind is that the biggest offseason, physical development wise, is rookies going into their second season. We won't know how physical he'll become until he's had a real offseason in the weight room.

I'm hopefully correctly quoting Marv here, if not I'm pretty close: "It's not about doing extraordinary things, it's about doing ordinary things extraordinarily well." Put simply, the ordinary thing the Bills expect Hardy to do extraordinarily well is CATCH THE BALL.

The ability to see WR separation is to me one of the nicer benefits of seeing a game live. All I've seen is spot duty on tv, so I have no idea - maybe season tix holders can chime in. But yeah, I can see how he'd remind you too much of Matt Jones.

One thing to keep in mind is that the biggest offseason, physical development wise, is rookies going into their second season. We won't know how physical he'll become until he's had a real offseason in the weight room.

I'm hopefully correctly quoting Marv here, if not I'm pretty close: "It's not about doing extraordinary things, it's about doing ordinary things extraordinarily well." Put simply, the ordinary thing the Bills expect Hardy to do extraordinarily well is CATCH THE BALL.

Speed is created by stride length, and the speed in which your legs are moving. You often hear the term football speed being thrown around. You can't tell who has football speed from 40 times because it depends so much on how you run. Football speed is the ability to cut, start, and stop quickly.

It's rare for stride runners to have football speed. Most tall WR's are stride runners, hence the reason you don't see them more often in the NFL. They can't create separation because they don't have football speed necessary. Hardy is clearly a stride runner, and IMO clearly lacks football speed. While I pray I'm wrong, I envision a Matt Jones like future for him.

Actually today I thought it looked like he just couldn't hang on to the damned ball, but I watched it on the internet and there was few replays, this week (what is up with that?). I wish I could have seen the game more clearly, but that was the impression I got.

I agree you can't make a judgment on a rookie, they need time to develop. That said I’m starting to get concerned about our top 3 picks.

McKelvin was highly touted as a return man in college, even more so then he was at corner. So far on returns McKelvin looks hesitant and sub par. He hasn't brought anything to our return game and is nowhere near the skill level of McGee in that category.

At corner we really could have used him today. Apparently the coaches feel an unhealthy McGee is still a better option then McKelvin. That doesn’t sit well with me. Rookies CAN make an impact at corner and in the return game. Right now McKelvin can’t make an impact at either

Hardy has no explosion, no ability to separate, no agility. He’s not good at running routes and he’s not physical. The word gumpy comes to mind when I watch him move. While it takes Wide Receivers the longest to adjust, I just don’t see him ever developing.

Is Ellis even on the team? You would hope he would get involved in the rotation with Schobel out. Instead we saw Copeland Bryan. Who the heck is Copeland Bryan and why is he better then our 3rd round pick?

McKelvin is a slight concern for me because he didn't see the field much yesterday even with the problems in the secondary. It's way too early to write him off though. IMO, you have to give most rookies two years to at least get some idea of where they'll be.

Hardy is playing a position that is one of the hardest to adjust to in the NFL. Usually WR's take two years before they start to get it. He does seem to have dropsies but I think he'll get better as time goes on. It might just be rookie jitters.

Ellis is the one who concerns me most. He's an exception to the most rule I stated above. He doesn't even have one tackle at a position that requires rotations. He has bust written all over him. Unless he has some sort of injury we aren't being told about his lack of field time is very disturbing.

I'll give Hardy the benefit of the doubt.

If you watch the game again, on the 2nd and 1 right before Edwards fumbled the QB sneak, Hardy was open on the fade route in the endzone and Edwards missed him by throwing it over his right shoulder. If he throws it over his left shoulder at the goal line, Hardy easily had a step on his man and that is a TD.

McKelvin is a slight concern for me because he didn't see the field much yesterday even with the problems in the secondary. It's way too early to write him off though. IMO, you have to give most rookies two years to at least get some idea of where they'll be.

Hardy is playing a position that is one of the hardest to adjust to in the NFL. Usually WR's take two years before they start to get it. He does seem to have dropsies but I think he'll get better as time goes on. It might just be rookie jitters.

Ellis is the one who concerns me most. He's an exception to the most rule I stated above. He doesn't even have one tackle at a position that requires rotations. He has bust written all over him. Unless he has some sort of injury we aren't being told about his lack of field time is very disturbing.

I am starting to get a little concerned about Mckelvin also. No reason in the world except the coaches have zero faith in him that he was not playing instead of Mgee on one leg today. The funny thing is, Pennington did the same thing to us a few years ago up here in the Ralph. Hit one long floater in the beginning & nickle & dime us with crossing routes when he played with the Jets. The coaches adjusted the 2nd game against them that year & played press coverage & he could not do anything. With Pennington, forget the long ball, play press coverage make him use that noodle arm he has to beat you. Mgee yesterday was playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage. It was just pitch & catch between Penny & Ginn. Way too easy. We will beat them up here, I guaranty it. Sucks that it is in toronto though. It should of been the sf game.

It's especially tough when comparing it with last year's top three, all of whom produced immediately (Poz played well before he got hurt). It's still to early to tell, but it's safe to say that bad drafts happen to every team once in a while.

It's especially tough when comparing it with last year's top three, all of whom produced immediately (Poz played well before he got hurt). It's still to early to tell, but it's safe to say that bad drafts happen to every team once in a while.

Once in a while? We haven't been to the playoffs in 8 years and how many Pro Bowlers have we had in this decade?