Some random questions from today's game.

The Dean

Some of these have multiple questions, but they are grouped by topic.

1. For those who were at the game, was the stadium as empty as it seemed on TV? (I know, you were at the game, not watching TV. For the record, it looked less than 1/2 full, from what I saw.)

2. It looked like the Bills got the "Wildcat" under control after giving up some yardage to it early. Here's the question: Why doesn't the defense, as soon as the Fins present the Wildcat, immediately move two of it's hardest hitting defenders directly across from, and very close to, Pennington at the LOS? Don't you think that immediately draws a Miami TO, and a change of play? Hell, I'd have the defenders mime a bull, by kicking back their foot, as if to suggest they were going to simply demolish Chad. If the Fins ran it, the D would have to follow through and DRILL Chad at the LOS. Dunno about you, but I would try that, and see if we couldn't just end that BS right then and there./

3. Isn't Ted Ginn supposed to be really FAST? Ginn was streaking downfield with Whitner in pursuit and gaining ground. Yes, Donte had the angle, but doesn't a blazing WR just kick it into overdrive and go for the TD? Ginn actually STOPPED, which gave Mitchell the chance to come over and knock the ball away (and out of bounds, unfortunately). I give Whitner a lot of credit for the effort and some good speed...but wasn't that just stupid on Ginn's part?

4. It has been mentioned in other threads but, let's ask it again here. Why do to the Bills refuse to use Lynch on short yardage situations when he has shown to be pure money, when asked to pick up the TD or the 1st down with a yard, or so, to go? We speculated that Marshawn may have been a little dinged on the first drive, so Jackson got all the attempts. On the TE QB sneak, Marshawn was certainly healthy and ready to go. While we are at it, doesn't Trent know to go LOW and get to the bottom of the pile, in that situation?

I may have more, but that should get us started. Sincere, intelligent answers are appreciated. Smart ass remarks are expected, and will be tolerated if they are really funny.

I was at the game, and the stadium I say was about 90% full. There were some openings mostly on the upper levels. There were alot of Bills fans there which was cool. There was also alot of verbal smack from Dolphans after the game. I didn't even have the satisfaction of telling them we'd kick the crap out of them in Buffalo, knowing the 2nd game was in TO. :thumbsup:

Re: Lynch

On the TD, he must have been injured, though I haven't heard anyone say this.

On the sneaks, Edwards has been money, too, in those situations, until he fumbled today. And, btw, he was well passed the first down line on the fumble.

That is the only acceptable explanation, IMO. And I also agree rd: TE- right play call, he just f'd it up by staying to high and acting like it was a goal line play instead of tucking it in.

2. It looked like the Bills got the "Wildcat" under control after giving up some yardage to it early. Here's the question: Why doesn't the defense, as soon as the Fins present the Wildcat, immediately move two of it's hardest hitting defenders directly across from, and very close to, Pennington at the LOS? Don't you think that immediately draws a Miami TO, and a change of play? Hell, I'd have the defenders mime a bull, by kicking back their foot, as if to suggest they were going to simply demolish Chad. If the Fins ran it, the D would have to follow through and DRILL Chad at the LOS. Dunno about you, but I would try that, and see if we couldn't just end that BS right then and there./

I like it.

I like it a lot.

I suspect the problem is that since only a small percentage of these Wildcat plays have involved Pennington, putting two of your best defenders on him is basically taking them out of the play. I think that its also hard to lay clean, hard, block on somebody in space - Pennington could always just pull an 'ole move on the block, right? And its not like QB's don't take hard hits when they are sacked anyways. Miami might very well take the hit in exchange for a mismatch on the other side of the field.

3. Isn't Ted Ginn supposed to be really FAST? Ginn was streaking downfield with Whitner in pursuit and gaining ground. Yes, Donte had the angle, but doesn't a blazing WR just kick it into overdrive and go for the TD? Ginn actually STOPPED, which gave Mitchell the chance to come over and knock the ball away (and out of bounds, unfortunately). I give Whitner a lot of credit for the effort and some good speed...but wasn't that just stupid on Ginn's part?

I guess there's a reason why Ginn has struggled in the NFL. That looks like Exhibit A, actually...

4. It has been mentioned in other threads but, let's ask it again here. Why do to the Bills refuse to use Lynch on short yardage situations when he has shown to be pure money, when asked to pick up the TD or the 1st down with a yard, or so, to go? We speculated that Marshawn may have been a little dinged on the first drive, so Jackson got all the attempts. On the TE QB sneak, Marshawn was certainly healthy and ready to go. While we are at it, doesn't Trent know to go LOW and get to the bottom of the pile, in that situation?

I'm with you on this. I couldn't understand why Jackson and not Lynch got the "tough yard" carry at the end of the Chargers game. I also hated plunging Jackson into the line on 3rd and Goal - he just doesn't seem to have the size to plow through people for that kind of carry - but given that Lynch didn't have a carry on that drive, I hope that's because he was dinged.

But on the case of the QB sneak, my recollection is that it was a quick-snap situation - designed to get a cheap yard before the defense was set. The Patriots run that play like their bread-and-butter. I have no problem whatsoever with that call. I have a real problem with not protecting the ball in that situation.... Inexcusable, and hopefully Trent now knows better.

JDG

But on the case of the QB sneak, my recollection is that it was a quick-snap situation - designed to get a cheap yard before the defense was set. The Patriots run that play like their bread-and-butter. I have no problem whatsoever with that call. I have a real problem with not protecting the ball in that situation.... Inexcusable, and hopefully Trent now knows better.

JDG

+1

I wanted to light myself on fire the last time Brady successfully did this to us on 3rd&1 for the 101st time on 101 tries. When Trent did it earlier in the game (without fumbling) that was all I could think about, but in a good way. Just hold onto the damn ball next time.

Re: Lynch

On the TD, he must have been injured, though I haven't heard anyone say this.

On the sneaks, Edwards has been money, too, in those situations, until he fumbled today. And, btw, he was well past the first down line on the fumble.

I have nothing against a sneak its an easy play and usually gets the job done.

But there are wituations we don't use lynch 3 and 3 or 3 are now obvious passing situations for us. look at our formations.

Some of these have multiple questions, but they are grouped by topic.

1. For those who were at the game, was the stadium as empty as it seemed on TV? (I know, you were at the game, not watching TV. For the record, it looked less than 1/2 full, from what I saw.)

I may have more, but that should get us started. Sincere, intelligent answers are appreciated. Smart ass remarks are expected, and will be tolerated if they are really funny.

I was at the game. When it first started, the stadium was just above half full, but it wound up being about three quarters full or more as the game progressed. It actually was pretty loud at times when the Bills were backed up in their own end, which happened far too much, btw.

From the game, I was looking for Lynch on that first drive. He was actually sitting on the table behind the benches where you are normally being looked at if something is wrong with you. I guess that he was a bit dinged up...not really sure. Did they not mention it on TV?

Pretty humbling game today. I only hope that maybe they didn't take Miami seriously. As badly as they played today, they were in that game pretty much right up until the end. You can't have a fourth quarter where your possessions end in turnover, turnover, safety, turnover. That's a backbreaker.

Two things that you pointed out bothered me also. Lynch in short yardage situations, and Donte Whitner being faster than Ginn.

I have no answer, but express my concern for each issue.

Although I think Lynch has more power once he gets going, I think Jackson has a better burst. Since our line can't run block, that may be a big factor

I've heard several analysts on Sirius NFL radio suggest just blowing up Pennington anytime they lineup in the wildcat. Our coaching staff doesn't have the balls to do it but I hope someone does along the way.

Is that legal? :sick:

I've heard several analysts on Sirius NFL radio suggest just blowing up Pennington anytime they lineup in the wildcat. Our coaching staff doesn't have the balls to do it but I hope someone does along the way.

If you try that, he would just take a couple of steps back. If your player pursues him, then he takes himself out of the play.

2. If the Fins ran it, the D would have to follow through and DRILL Chad at the LOS. Dunno about you, but I would try that, and see if we couldn't just end that BS right then and there./

I would have lined up Poz or Mitchell and blasted him off the field. Agree 100%

I think he felt he could beat Whitner, but wanted to beat him in a punkish way by juking him out of his jock. It worked, but he didn't know Mitchell was going to take him down. Still he played a great game and he killed the secondary.

4. Why do to the Bills refuse to use Lynch on short yardage situations when he has shown to be pure money, when asked to pick up the TD or the 1st down with a yard, or so, to go?

I have a pretty good memory and Lynch hasn't been money at the goal-line. He's been most successful from 4 or 6 yards out or more. His goal-line runs have been stuffed pretty consistently before the last couple of games. He's still better than Jackson at that point, but I think they were looking for answers.

I have a pretty good memory and Lynch hasn't been money at the goal-line. He's been most successful from 4 or 6 yards out or more. His goal-line runs have been stuffed pretty consistently before the last couple of games. He's still better than Jackson at that point, but I think they were looking for answers.

Correct. Thought I was the only one who missed this transformation into us becoming a good shortage team.