Santonio Holmes charged with pot possession

SKOOBY

We should legalize marijuana because it makes sense to do so, socially and economically. When as many people are regularly doing something that harms no one, but is breaking the law, the law needs to change. Right now, the underground economy in marijuana is costing the taxpayers millions, and the stupid "war on drugs" is costing billions. The prohibition against pot is as futile as the one against alcohol, in the 1920's. Plus, it forces otherwise law abiding citizens to deal with criminals to purchase a product they should be able to buy from a legal source. Regulate it, for sure. Tax it, of course. But LEGALIZE IT!

As for gay marriage, it should be allowed simply because, to disallow it, is nothing but bigotry. Don't like same sex marriage? Don't marry some one that is the same sex as you. Yes, it really IS that simple.

Great post dean i agree on all counts.

Why should anyone be agianst someone who wants to protect the person they have choosen as a partner in life? I dont care who it is everyone needs someone to love and who that is shouldnt matter in a court of law. hell with the divorce rate in this country maybe we shouldnt let heterosexuals get married since they dont seem to fallow the rules but hey what do i know

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it do no good for anybody that has used it, and more times than not leads to dependency, severe paranoia, moodiness, loss of memory, lack of motivation, and the gateway to harder drugs. Users can argue all you want, but I really see no argument. If you want to cpmpare it to cigarettes, I agree cigarettes have no benefits, but people can smoke and still go to work as a normal human being, not a smoked outm cherry eyed retard.

Okay, well then compare it to alcohol.

I've seen it do no good for anybody that has used it, and more times than not leads to dependency, severe paranoia, moodiness, loss of memory, lack of motivation, and the gateway to harder drugs. Users can argue all you want, but I really see no argument. If you want to cpmpare it to cigarettes, I agree cigarettes have no benefits, but people can smoke and still go to work as a normal human being, not a smoked outm cherry eyed retard.

Most people who do hard drugs smoked pot first. Most drank alcohol before that. Virtually all of them drank MILK before that, so let's ban milk. One of the many reasons to legalize pot is so that users of this, relatively harmless substance, don't have to deal with people who also deal in harder. more destructive. drugs. You can be reasonably sure that anyone who has developed a "dependency" to marijuana, was probably going to develop a dependency to something. The other likely options are far worse, physically and more socially destructive.

But, the crux of the biscuit, IMO, is when we, as a society, infringe on an individual's prerogative to use a particular substance, in order to feel better, relax, etc, there should be REAL and COMPELLING evidence that the substance is dangerous, not just have a potentially negative effect, if used excessively or improperly. I think you will find the reason this society criminalizes pot, has little to do with evidence of dangerous side effects, and more to do with societal mores. Had marijuana been a country club substance (like alcohol) and not associated with "Negroes" and "hippies", you can be sure it would be legal by now.

Stussy, I think you may have watched Reefer Madness too many times. The key to getting the most out of that film, is to watch it stoned. :)

Okay, well then compare it to alcohol.

i firmly believe that alcohol is the true gateway drug.

further more, how many people have ever gotten smoked out and gotten pregnant or caught an std?

how many people have gotten pregnant or an std while while being drunk?

edit: darn dean you beat me to it. you are really adament about this stuff.

People who do not smoke should realize that there is a difference between taking a hit, getting high, being stoned and all the lovelies in between. Just like there is a difference in having a drink, or a couple or being drunk. Just because weed would be legal doesn't mean there would be stoned morons wondering around streets.

'splain

I'm no expert and I don't have the statistics but the expected advatages to be gained in a society, through legalization, such as lessened crime and increased tax revenue haven't seem to materialize there. If fact the crime rate has risen.

Again I've not really studied this, only discussing what I've heard.

I'm no expert and I don't have the statistics but the expected advatages to be gained in a society, through legalization, such as lessened crime and increased tax revenue haven't seem to materialize there. If fact the crime rate has risen.

Again I've not really studied this, only discussing what I've heard.

Check this link out, it gives you the crime rates of many countries,

Netherlands;

Variable Amount/description Rank

Crime > Assaults 44,129 [14th of 58]

Crime > Car thefts (per capita) 2.33559 per 1,000 people [15th of 55]

Crime > Drug offences 47 per 100,000 people [20th of 36]

Crime > Illicit drugs

major European producer of ecstasy, illicit amphetamines, and other synthetic drugs; important gateway for cocaine, heroin, and hashish entering Europe; major source of US-bound ecstasy; large financial sector vulnerable to money laundering

Crime > Murders 183 [40th of 63]

Crime > Murders (per capita) 0.0111538 per 1,000 people [51st of 62]

Crime > Rapes 1,648 [20th of 66]

Crime > Rapes (per capita) 0.100445 per 1,000 people [22nd of 65]

Crime > Total crimes 1,305,640 [14th of 61]

Crime > Total crimes (per capita) 79.5779 per 1,000 people

USA;

Crime > Assaults 2,238,480 [1st of 58]

Crime > Car thefts (per capita) 3.8795 per 1,000 people [9th of 55]

Crime > Drug offences 560.1 per 100,000 people

Crime > Murders 12,658 [6th of 63]

Crime > Murders (per capita) 0.042802 per 1,000 people [24th of 62]

Crime > Murders with firearms 8,259 [4th of 32]

Crime > Murders with firearms (per capita) 0.0279271 per 1,000 people [8th of 32]

Crime > Rapes 89,110 [1st of 66]

Crime > Rapes (per capita) 0.301318 per 1,000 people [9th of 65]

Crime > Total crimes 23,677,800 [1st of 61]

Crime > Total crimes (per capita) 80.0645 per 1,000 people [8th of 60]

Follow the link to the website, but keep in mind that much of the Netherlands is not thought of as vacation areas, The tourist town in Amsterdam is safer then you think. Many cops and such. Stay out of the slums and shipyards and you'll be ok.

Source(s):

http://www.nationmaster.com

America is #24 Netherlands is #51

Check this link out, it gives you the crime rates of many countries,

Netherlands;

Crime > Assaults 44,129 [14th of 58]

Crime > Car thefts (per capita) 2.33559 per 1,000 people [15th of 55]

Crime > Drug offences 47 per 100,000 people [20th of 36]

Crime > Illicit drugs

major European producer of ecstasy, illicit amphetamines, and other synthetic drugs; important gateway for cocaine, heroin, and hashish entering Europe; major source of US-bound ecstasy; large financial sector vulnerable to money laundering

Crime > Murders 183 [40th of 63]

Crime > Murders (per capita) 0.0111538 per 1,000 people [51st of 62]

Crime > Rapes 1,648 [20th of 66]

Crime > Rapes (per capita) 0.100445 per 1,000 people [22nd of 65]

Crime > Total crimes 1,305,640 [14th of 61]

Crime > Total crimes (per capita) 79.5779 per 1,000 people

USA;

Crime > Assaults 2,238,480 [1st of 58]

Crime > Car thefts (per capita) 3.8795 per 1,000 people [9th of 55]

Crime > Murders 12,658 [6th of 63]

Crime > Murders (per capita) 0.042802 per 1,000 people [24th of 62]

Crime > Murders with firearms 8,259 [4th of 32]

Crime > Murders with firearms (per capita) 0.0279271 per 1,000 people [8th of 32]

Crime > Rapes 89,110 [1st of 66]

Crime > Rapes (per capita) 0.301318 per 1,000 people [9th of 65]

Crime > Total crimes 23,677,800 [1st of 61]

Crime > Total crimes (per capita) 80.0645 per 1,000 people [8th of 60]

Follow the link to the website, but keep in mind that much of the Netherlands is not thought of as vacation areas, The tourist town in Amsterdam is safer then you think. Many cops and such. Stay out of the slums and shipyards and you'll be ok.

Source(s):

http://www.nationmaster.com

America is #24 Netherlands is #51

Thanks for the stats! I think the more telling statistics would be the trend within the Netherlands, I checked out he link and couldn't figure out how to see that. Don't really have the time to look further but good discussion! Beats JP=RJ.

Off to class.

At least we play #7 Estonia this week so if we can win that a top 15 ranking next week is possible.

Oh please, everybody knows that the only reason Estonia is undefeated (and even ranked) is because they play in the weak Baltic Conference! Who have they beaten? Lithuania and Latvia? Weak sauce, America will crush them on Saturday!

People who do not smoke should realize that there is a difference between taking a hit, getting high, being stoned and all the lovelies in between. Just like there is a difference in having a drink, or a couple or being drunk. Just because weed would be legal doesn't mean there would be stoned morons wondering around streets.

That's a great point. And I'll tell ya what, I'd much rather be sharing the road at 2 AM with someone who has taken a few rips of the bong rather than someone coming home from the bar after a few hours of shots and beers.

That's a great point. And I'll tell ya what, I'd much rather be sharing the road at 2 AM with someone who has taken a few rips of the bong rather than someone coming home from the bar after a few hours of shots and beers.

maybe not the bong, put a small pipe?