Why I will vote or John McCain

scribo

Oh, just the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star, Purple Heart. The Silver Star is nation's third highest award given for valor.

I would be interested in hearing these journalists' account. I do enjoy solid journalistic work. I am a lot more open minded that my posts probably have you thinking. But you aren't presenting anything I have heard or read before.

Did you mis-type or is this all new to you?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So The Weekly Standard and National Review and others like it are not "a journalism body of work". Is that even a term? :)

What you described are straight reporters, not journalists.

I think it should read "journalistic body of work." :wacko:

But, you are correct, those are opinion publications. Despite what some apparently think, I do not have double standards.

I am glad America is coming around.

McCain has cut into Obama's lead for a second day and is now just 1.1 points behind

Maybe I've changed some of your minds? :)

10 things you should know about John McCain (but probably don’t):

1. John McCain voted against establishing a national holiday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Now he says his position has “evolved,” yet he’s continued to oppose key civil rights laws.

2. According to Bloomberg News, McCain is more hawkish than Bush on Iraq, Russia and China. Conservative columnist Pat Buchanan says McCain “will make Cheney look like Gandhi.”

3. His reputation is built on his opposition to torture, but McCain voted against a bill to ban waterboarding, and then applauded President Bush for vetoing that ban.

4. McCain opposes a woman’s right to choose. He said, “I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned.”

5. The Children’s Defense Fund rated McCain as the worst senator in Congress for children. He voted against the children’s health care bill last year, then defended Bush’s veto of the bill.

6. He’s one of the richest people in a Senate filled with millionaires. The Associated Press reports he and his wife own at least eight homes! Yet McCain says the solution to the housing crisis is for people facing foreclosure to get a “second job” and skip their vacations.

7. Many of McCain’s fellow Republican senators say he’s too reckless to be commander in chief. One Republican senator said: “The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine. He’s erratic. He’s hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me.”

8. McCain talks a lot about taking on special interests, but his campaign manager and top advisers are actually lobbyists. The government watchdog group Public Citizen says McCain has 59 lobbyists raising money for his campaign, more than any of the other presidential candidates.

9. McCain has sought closer ties to the extreme religious right in recent years. The pastor McCain calls his “spiritual guide,” Rod Parsley, believes America’s founding mission is to destroy Islam, which he calls a “false religion.” McCain sought the political support of right-wing preacher John Hagee, who believes Hurricane Katrina was God’s punishment for gay rights and called the Catholic Church “the Antichrist” and a “false cult.”

10. He positions himself as pro-environment, but he scored a 0—yes, zero—from the League of Conservation Voters last year.

McCain has cut into Obama's lead for a second day and is now just 1.1 points behind

Maybe I've changed some of your minds? :)

You really don't want to see pollsters take those numbers apart. For instance, that particular poll has McCain beating Obama with 18-24 year olds 74%-25%, and doesn't think there will be more African American voters than there was in 2004.

completely belies Nate Silver's polls:

Link

You really don't want to see pollsters take those numbers apart. For instance, that particular poll has McCain beating Obama with 18-24 year olds 74%-25%, and doesn't think there will be more African American voters than there was in 2004.
lol, try again

the average of 15 polls is 7.5% and 5 of them are in double digits

The poll I linked to was the most accurate pollster in the 2004 presidential election.

About IBD/TIPP: An analysis of Final Certified Results for the 2004 election showed IBD's polling partner, TIPP, was the most accurate pollster of the campaign season. Learn more at www.TIPPonline.com.

10 things you should know about John McCain (but probably don’t):

1. John McCain voted against establishing a national holiday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Now he says his position has “evolved,” yet he’s continued to oppose key civil rights laws.

2. According to Bloomberg News, McCain is more hawkish than Bush on Iraq, Russia and China. Conservative columnist Pat Buchanan says McCain “will make Cheney look like Gandhi.”

3. His reputation is built on his opposition to torture, but McCain voted against a bill to ban waterboarding, and then applauded President Bush for vetoing that ban.

4. McCain opposes a woman’s right to choose. He said, “I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned.”

5. The Children’s Defense Fund rated McCain as the worst senator in Congress for children. He voted against the children’s health care bill last year, then defended Bush’s veto of the bill.

6. He’s one of the richest people in a Senate filled with millionaires. The Associated Press reports he and his wife own at least eight homes! Yet McCain says the solution to the housing crisis is for people facing foreclosure to get a “second job” and skip their vacations.

7. Many of McCain’s fellow Republican senators say he’s too reckless to be commander in chief. One Republican senator said: “The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine. He’s erratic. He’s hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me.”

8. McCain talks a lot about taking on special interests, but his campaign manager and top advisers are actually lobbyists. The government watchdog group Public Citizen says McCain has 59 lobbyists raising money for his campaign, more than any of the other presidential candidates.

9. McCain has sought closer ties to the extreme religious right in recent years. The pastor McCain calls his “spiritual guide,” Rod Parsley, believes America’s founding mission is to destroy Islam, which he calls a “false religion.” McCain sought the political support of right-wing preacher John Hagee, who believes Hurricane Katrina was God’s punishment for gay rights and called the Catholic Church “the Antichrist” and a “false cult.”

10. He positions himself as pro-environment, but he scored a 0—yes, zero—from the League of Conservation Voters last year.

If a list like this came around about Obama, I'd denounce it for cherry picking issues by reducing them to black and white.

Just saying.

So you think young voters will vote McCain at a rate of 3 to 1?

Sort of craps all over the conventional wisdom, yes?

Yes (to your second question). But they are the defending champs, nonetheless.

Maybe I've changed some of your minds? :D

I hope you and other McCain supporters keep saying it's close, because hopefully it will energize Obama supporters to make sure they go vote and get others to vote and not take the election for granted.

I hope you and other McCain supporters keep saying it's close, because hopefully it will energize Obama supporters to make sure they go vote and get others to vote and not take the election for granted.

Or it will give them a reason to reconsider for whom they are going to vote.

Nah, Obama voters are fired up and will vote no matter what. Reports of close polls are more likely to energize the McCain supporters to get out and vote.

Been doing a little poll shopping? Looks like this poll isn't doing much on Intrade!

As I already said, the poll I linked to, the one saying McCain was within less than two points, was the most accurate pollster in the 2004 presidential election.

I have a question scribo that actually doesnt have anything to do with Obama or McCain

How exactly are we going to win the war?

I was committed when I served in the military (served in Operation Desert Shield) but I am now of the opinion that the war as we are fighting it right now is not winnable.

If there is a obtainable victory then of course I think we shoud see it through.....but this is different. I am now thinking that we could stay there for the next 100 years....and we STILL would not gain a victory as we describe it.

- We lose our soldiers nearly daily

- The enemy replenishes itself though the borders of the country

- We are in a recession but spend quite a bit of money on this war

Now to talk about the presidents.......people talk about this and that......Sarah Palin, being a muslem, knowing or not knowing economic issues.....but in MY opinion the war is what is going to be the single biggest reason in who wins and loses.

People are sick of the state of the country...and people who dont have a full understanding of all the issues (like me) point at the things that they CAN see......and that is the war in Iraq.

Obama is going to win

I have a question scribo that actually doesnt have anything to do with Obama or McCain

How exactly are we going to win the war?

I was committed when I served in the military (served in Operation Desert Shield) but I am now of the opinion that the war as we are fighting it right now is not winnable.

If there is a obtainable victory then of course I think we shoud see it through.....but this is different. I am now thinking that we could stay there for the next 100 years....and we STILL would not gain a victory as we describe it.

- We lose our soldiers nearly daily

- The enemy replenishes itself though the borders of the country

- We are in a recession but spend quite a bit of money on this war

Now to talk about the presidents.......people talk about this and that......Sarah Palin, being a muslem, knowing or not knowing economic issues.....but in MY opinion the war is what is going to be the single biggest reason in who wins and loses.

People are sick of the state of the country...and people who dont have a full understanding of all the issues (like me) point at the things that they CAN see......and that is the war in Iraq.

Obama is going to win

Stability in Iraq = victory.

Define stability- a functioning democracy.

Define functioning democracy- able to have fee elections. Am I the only one who remembers Bush championing the first Iraqi election as the tipping point for functioning democracy? That was three years ago.

As I already said, the poll I linked to, the one saying McCain was within less than two points, was the most accurate pollster in the 2004 presidential election.

well, today's IBD/IBB poll says Obama +3.5

And instead of focusing on the lone poll that shows your favorite closing in, you should really be paying attention to the electoral college votes. Even the people that are closest to McCain admit he ABSOLUTELY HAS TO TAKE Ohio, North Carolina, Florida and probably Nevada, as in all of them and there's little or no chance of that.