Favorite "Gin Mill" in WNY that you....

EndZoneCrew

I didn't notice, in the original post, that there was interest in gin mills of the past, too.

the really bizarre old people cocktail lounge in Kenmore (either on Delaware or Elmwood). it was a very small and oddly shaped building

On Delaware it was the "Apartment" or the golden pheseant (later named "The Bird")

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't notice, in the original post, that there was interest in gin mills of the past, too.

the really bizarre old people cocktail lounge in Kenmore (either on Delaware or Elmwood). it was a very small and oddly shaped building

It think it was on Delaware, east side of the street. I also forget its' name. The inside was weirdly-coved with pointy white-painted stucco. IIRC.

Was that the one?

There was also another interior-stuccoed joint on Hertel opposite Precinct 13...The "Magic Grove"...???

It was owned by a pleasant man and wife seemingly of the...umm...mattachine persuasion, but was a safe, clean, decent place to roll into in the late hours.

On Delaware it was the "Apartment" or the golden pheseant (later named "The Bird")

It think it was on Delaware, east side of the street. I also forget its' name. The inside was weirdly-coved with pointy white-painted stucco. IIRC.

Was that the one?

There was also another interior-stuccoed joint on Hertel opposite Precinct 13...The "Magic Grove"...???

It was owned by a pleasant man and wife seemingly of the...umm...mattachine persuasion, but was a safe, clean, decent place to roll into in the late hours.

"mattachine" :thumbsup: . It's been a long time since I've heard/read that word.

As for the bar, I think you have both nailed it. I think I knew it as the Golden Pheasant or Royal Pheasant. Something like that...I think. It was a happy-hour type bar for old people, IIRC. I used to stop in for a couple and just laugh and laugh.

"mattachine" :thumbsup: . It's been a long time since I've heard/read that word.

As for the bar, I think you have both nailed it. I think I knew it as the Golden Pheasant or Royal Pheasant. Something like that...I think. It was a happy-hour type bar for old people, IIRC. I used to stop in for a couple and just laugh and laugh.

It was the Royal Pheasant. Just closed about a year or two ago - Jenny tended bar there.

It was the Royal Pheasant. Just closed about a year or two ago - Jenny tended bar there.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if that's the place I had in mind in my earlier post, then.

I type corrected. It was the Royal Pheasant on Forest.

I know that place (and that's why it sounded familiar), but that's not the place I was thinking about in my earlier post. The place I am thinking about was definitely on Delaware or a street parallel to Delaware. Same side of the street as Premier Liquor, and I want to say just a few blocks south of Premier.

Here's one for ya...

Swanerski House

Closeup

The good old Swannie House . Yes, I mentioned that in my original post. Nice pics, though

Barrelhead B-):wallbash: :wallbash:

Poor House :blink:;)

College Beer Blasts ;)

If you ever want a feel for a true gin mill, stop in Ulrichs sometime. If you ever find yourself downtown during the day, stop in for lunch or a late afternoon cocktail. Great pictures & atmosphere. Just don't expect much in terms of recent renovations! :thumbsup:

I know that place (and that's why it sounded familiar), but that's not the place I was thinking about in my earlier post. The place I am thinking about was definitely on Delaware or a street parallel to Delaware. Same side of the street as Premier Liquor, and I want to say just a few blocks south of Premier.

Yep, that's the location. I believe it was existing back when Premier was a small shop on the corner of Girard, before they moved to where the former Pioneer Dodge dealership once stood.

My wife has a vague recollection of the name, The Apartment", as guffalo suggested.

The good old Swannie House . Yes, I mentioned that in my original post. Nice pics, though

Yes I saw it in your original, but wanted to be sure you were aware that it's the Swanerski House.

Great whiskey ad on the side of the building, eh?

That site is way cool Senator. Thx for posting. The tours that guy does look awesome. Wish he did them every week. I am comimg to town for the Jests game, to bad he is not doing one then.

Glad you liked it - here are a couple more that you might like (& some other tours) while your in 'The BuffTown' -

Wright Now in Buffalo

Sightseeing Tours

Driving Tours

Michigan Avenue Corridor

GO BILLSSS!!!!!!!