ESBI fee on your phone bill and don't know what it is ?

Guest dog14787

Guest dog14787

After doing a little research on an added fee of $13.73 a month occuring on my phone bill over the last year listed under "Billing for ESBI" I come to find out a company called Voicemails ID Pro had been charging me without my permission.

The company itself has no record of my transaction yet somehow was able to bill me through my Telephone company. Upon cotacting my telephone company they are prepared to refund 3 months, but to redeem the remainig months I have to fax or contact Voicemails ID pro with the proper information and per thier represenative, they will refund my money but could not give me a time frame on how long it would take.

When I researched this on the internet I discovered this is a widespread, nationwide problem. I wanted to warn all my friends here on TBD about the problem and I was also wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and wanted to chime in.

So check your phone bill good guys and gals, make sure you know what your paying for and take the time to investigate if you see something you are not familiar with because it might end up saving you some of your hard earned money. $13.73 doesn't seem like allot, but what about if you take $13.73 a month from a million people and use it for as long as you can get away with it ? a fella could make a buck or two :(

my 12.95/month vonage bill doesnt have any of those charges :thumbsup:

After doing a little research on an added fee of $13.73 a month occuring on my phone bill over the last year listed under "Billing for ESBI" I come to find out a company called Voicemails ID Pro had been charging me without my permission.

The company itself has no record of my transaction yet somehow was able to bill me through my Telephone company. Upon cotacting my telephone company they are prepared to refund 3 months, but to redeem the remainig months I have to fax or contact Voicemails ID pro with the proper information and per thier represenative, they will refund my money but could not give me a time frame on how long it would take.

When I researched this on the internet I discovered this is a widespread, nationwide problem. I wanted to warn all my friends here on TBD about the problem and I was also wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and wanted to chime in.

So check your phone bill good guys and gals, make sure you know what your paying for and take the time to investigate if you see something you are not familiar with because it might end up saving you some of your hard earned money. $13.73 doesn't seem like allot, but what about if you take $13.73 a month from a million people and use it for as long as you can get away with it ? a fella could make a buck or two :(

Guest dog14787
Holy class action lawsuits Batman!

What a load of crap. The phone company should be 1000% responsible for this.

If you research the topic a lawsuite is mentioned, I'm not so sure you can fault the phone company though if its from a scam occuring on the internet ( happens allot) and that could be why they are only willing to refund approx 30%.

Holy class action lawsuits Batman!

What a load of crap. The phone company should be 1000% responsible for this.

Going on several years now, one can contact their local phone company and instruct them to disallow any 3rd party from trying to attach charges to your billing. Sad to say, it's one of those odious "opt-out" (or is it an "opt-in"? - not sure) things, but once you make that call, it is ironclad.

BTW, there is also is (a free) protection for those that don't care to pay for call block - the phone co. will not allow your home number to be transmitted on out-going calls - again, you have to inform them of that desire.

Guest dog14787
Going on several years now, one can contact their local phone company and instruct them to disallow any 3rd party from trying to attach charges to your billing. Sad to say, it's one of those odious "opt-out" (or is it an "opt-in"? - not sure) things, but once you make that call, it is ironclad.

BTW, there is also is (a free) protection for those that don't care to pay for call block - the phone co. will not allow your home number to be transmitted on out-going calls - again, you have to inform them of that desire.

Thanks for the ironclad advice :(

If you research the topic a lawsuite is mentioned, I'm not so sure you can fault the phone company though if its from a scam occuring on the internet ( happens allot) and that could be why they are only willing to refund approx 30%.

But it's a charge on your phone bill. The phone company shouldn't be responsible for the content of the bill they send you?

Pathetic. And naturally none of our "we need to rein in big business" types in Washington ever do anything about things like this that actually take money out of consumers' pockets.

But it's a charge on your phone bill. The phone company shouldn't be responsible for the content of the bill they send you?

Pathetic. And naturally none of our "we need to rein in big business" types in Washington ever do anything about things like this that actually take money out of consumers' pockets.

The phone companies take a cut for adding the 3rd party scammers to the billing. And the IBEW represents many phone company workers.

That combination equals clout.

The phone companies take a cut for adding the 3rd party scammers to the billing. And the IBEW represents many phone company workers.

That combination equals clout.

Oh, of course they do. And that's just what it is -- legit companies acting as facilitators and collectors for outright scams. And then they send a nice fat check to both the DNC and RNC to make sure nobody interferes with the system. Unreal.

Oh, of course they do. And that's just what it is -- legit companies acting as facilitators and collectors for outright scams. And then they send a nice fat check to both the DNC and RNC to make sure nobody interferes with the system. Unreal.

I have a retirement card from the IBEW - Niagara Mohawk.

Worst move of my life - leaving NMP and going to grad school. Had I stayed, I would have been on their pension years ago, sitting on my porch along with the government employee pensioners, and the odd Section 8/Medicaid/free heat/free phone/free cable/free day care/free home food/free job training/free school lunch/free infant food/Earned Income Credit valuable citizen, guzzling beer, smoking ciggies, and yucking it up seeing who was tops at flinging boogers at the Obama/Biden sign planted in the lawn. Who we would support so that we can continue to fling boogers at everybody else ever and anon.

I wouldn't even have to expend one hour out of one day out of one year to get off my butt and vote anymore - ACORN would show up and hand me an absentee ballot.

How could I have been so dumb???? :lol:

I have a retirement card from the IBEW - Niagara Mohawk.

Worst move of my life - leaving NMP and going to grad school. Had I stayed, I would have been on their pension years ago, sitting on my porch along with the government employee pensioners, and the odd Section 8/Medicaid/free heat/free phone/free cable/free day care/free home food/free job training/free school lunch/free infant food/Earned Income Credit valuable citizen, guzzling beer, smoking ciggies, and yucking it up seeing who was tops at flinging boogers at the Obama/Biden sign planted in the lawn. Who we would support so that we can continue to fling boogers at everybody else ever and anon.

I wouldn't even have to expend one hour out of one day out of one year to get off my butt and vote anymore - ACORN would show up and hand me an absentee ballot.

How could I have been so dumb???? :lol:

Easy. At one point in your life at least, you believed in yourself.

thats what i was trying to say about my vonage bill, but i get long distance and local for that 12-13.00/month...i would notice the doubling of my bill

Seeing my land line bill is usually $15 I would probably have noticed a $13.73. Who here uses their landline. I was just talking to my wife about that. I only use it when I make local call. Any long distance is done on the cell.

Seeing my land line bill is usually $15 I would probably have noticed a $13.73. Who here uses their landline. I was just talking to my wife about that. I only use it when I make local call. Any long distance is done on the cell.

We use a land line for our security system. If there is another option, I probably would dump the land line. Almost forgot... Directv uses the land line, too.

thats what i was trying to say about my vonage bill, but i get long distance and local for that 12-13.00/month...i would notice the doubling of my bill

Might as well get a Magic Jack, and pay that for the entire year.

Guest dog14787

I have a package through verizon that also includes my internet making it a little harder to detect a slight increase in billing. I have no problem with how verizon has handled the situation because I realize Verizon tries to perform a service to the customer by allowing 3rd party billing.

It does seem like it creates a loop hole though allowing a scam to take place without any real means of protecting yourself, except by taking stuckincincy's good advice and opt out of the 3rd party billing that is.