Stuff to do in Buffalo- places to eat.

muggins

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fiancee and I will be going up to Buffalo for the game against the Jets on Nov 2, and I'm interested to get out and look at things in Buffalo. I realize it is probably like any other midwest city (I live in Lansing, MI) but there are probably some nice interesting restaurants etc. If I can't find enough to do in Buffalo she's going to bug me to go to Toronto, bleh.

I would like to see Niagara Falls again (haven't been in forever, I was born in Buffalo but we didn't live there long). The Maid of the Mist probably is shut down for the year since it'll be so cold, right?

Of course I'll want to go to the Ralph early to get tons of photos etc since I've never been. Probably go see Old Fort Niagara. We'll be there Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday, any suggestions? Also where should I go to get info about tailgating for TBD?

My wife & I just got back from BUF.

It's been 3 years since the last visit and we drove all day, from VA, planning on having Dinner at Billy Ogden's. We knew the owner passed away but thought the family was still running it...WRONG, it's closed.

We decided to try Hutch's. Thank God it was open and every bit as good as we remember. It's on Deleware, about 1/2 block off Gates Circle. It's not too noisy and the food is great!

If you go to Niagara Falls, take her to Niagara on the Lake. Several places to eat there and it's a nice drive along the Niagara Gorge.

Ilio DePaulo's is still open and it's not too far from the Stadium.

Enjoy!

My brother knows the family that owned Billy Ogden's. The widow took it over and it was too much for her. The son or nephew (I don't know which) that was also running it was not a good businessman, so she closed it. Just before they closed it, my brother got cheese stuffed peppers from them (for a very cheap price because he knew them) for my mother's 80th birthday party. Everybody was raving about them.

If you go to Canada as many posters have suggested, make sure you bring either Birth Certificates (originals - not copies) or passports with you so you don't have a hassle coming back in to the US!

My list would look like Fez's, except substitute Buzzy's with LaHacienda (Niagara Falls, NY - No credit cards accepted!)

If you go to Canada as many posters have suggested, make sure you bring either Birth Certificates (originals - not copies) or passports with you so you don't have a hassle coming back in to the US!

My list would look like Fez's, except substitute Buzzy's with LaHacienda (Niagara Falls, NY - No credit cards accepted!)

Oh yeah I will definitely bring Birth Cert as we have to drive through Canadia (live in MI). I gotta get a damn passport.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think we'll be looking to break the bank but I'll check out all your suggestions when she makes me make up a 'plan'.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think we'll be looking to break the bank but I'll check out all your suggestions when she makes me make up a 'plan'.

None of the places on the list are expensive. In fact, most are cheap compared to the Twin Cities anyway.

Also, and this sounds really newbie and dumb etc, but do players do autographs before / after the game? Any special place to be?

sometimes you can get autographs near the players lot. On occasion, some players go to Big Tree Inn after games...but don't go asking for autographs there. I remember when I used to go there after a lot of games...used to run into Bruce and Thurman a lot. There was a preseason game in 98 after which Bruce stopped in. He didn't even make it to the bar when someone asked him for his autograph. He left before getting a drink...can't say as I blamed him.

• 2 weeks later...

We're here! We went to Anchor Bar tonight and had wings, pretty awesome. We went to the Albright gallery, awesome stuff! They were showing The Birds tonight for free, one of my favorite movies.

Going to hit a few places tomorrow and then of course there is GAME DAY! Is there a TBD tailgate area?

edit: also holy crap the drive through Canada is freakin' boring.

Thanks, we were so busy shopping and getting radio signs etc that we couldn't stop by.

Sorry for the bad luck Bills fans, appears since we were there the Bills went and lost :rolleyes:

I did think the tailgate was really really impressive. Biggest tailgate I've ever seen. I saw a drunk dude faceplant down the upper deck stairs near me.

All in all one of my best experiences ever, but we can't go for season tickets anytime soon. That drive through Canada is ROUGH. I didn't take cruise control off for 3 hours last night. If we had broken down on the 402 or 401 I think we would've been screwed.