Report: Bowden out at Clemson

Bmwolf21

Clemson relieved Tommy Bowden of his coaching duties Monday morning.

Assistant head coach and wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney will serve as interim coach against Georgia Tech on Saturday, multiple sources told TigerIllustrated.com, a Rivals.com Web site. There has been no word on the status for the remaining assistants.

Clemson has scheduled a news conference for 5:15 p.m. Eastern today.

LINK

Nice.

"They just told us. It's what he deserved," said senior quarterback Cullen Harper, who was benched after the Tigers' loss to Wake Forest loss and replaced by highly regarded sophomore Willy Korn. "Dabo Swinney is a fine man and will do an excellent job."

Clemson's 10th season under Tommy Bowden unraveled quickly. The Tigers were expected to contend for the ACC title.

Later Monday, Harper expanded on his initial comment to explain that Bowden "tried to motivate us but guys were off the bandwagon. There were things I disagreed with and that my teammates disagreed with. I didn't appreciate it when he would say some off-the-wall things about me to the media. I guess one thing I can say is he gave me an opportunity to come to Clemson and play."

LINK

It's what he deserved," said senior quarterback Cullen Harper

"The guy who recruited me and gave me a scholarship and made me the starting QB, who I couldn't win games for, got what he deserved."

Nice try, Cullen. Sounds like a lifetime ahead of blaming others from this kid. Bowden may have been a chump, but hasn't thrown any INT's recently.

"The guy who recruited me and gave me a scholarship and made me the starting QB, who I couldn't win games for, got what he deserved."

Nice try, Cullen. Sounds like a lifetime ahead of blaming others from this kid. Bowden may have been a chump, but hasn't thrown any INT's recently.

No, he hasn't thrown any INT's lately, but he hasn't gotten his team into a major bowl lately. Or ever.

Tommy was just 72-45 in 10 years and unable to the Tigers into anything resembling a major bowl game.

If what Harper said is true - that Bowden lost the locker room and was throwing players under the bus to the media (something Papa Bowden and brother Jeffy were guilty of doing over the last couple years at FSU) then I have no problem with Harper's comments.

It sounds like there was more going on than just sour grapes, because according to people around the program, Harper doesn't let stuff like that bother him. LINK

And then there was one.

And FSU better hurry. A bigger portion of the Auburn world is getting pissed off with Tuberville. Apparently, questions regarding job security have been asked during interviews.

Some of the replacement names being tossed about in the delusional minds of Auburn fans:

Butch Davis

Brian Kelly

Dennis Francione (sp) :lol::wallbash:

Bill Cowher

Lane Kiffin

Nick Saban :(:angry:

Bobby Petrino :lol:

Jimbo Fisher

No, he hasn't thrown any INT's lately, but he hasn't gotten his team into a major bowl lately. Or ever.

Tommy was just 72-45 in 10 years and unable to the Tigers into anything resembling a major bowl game.

If what Harper said is true - that Bowden lost the locker room and was throwing players under the bus to the media (something Papa Bowden and brother Jeffy were guilty of doing over the last couple years at FSU) then I have no problem with Harper's comments.

It sounds like there was more going on than just sour grapes, because according to people around the program, Harper doesn't let stuff like that bother him. LINK

Yeah, I don't disagree...I know ZIP about Clemson or Bowden other than their failure to live up to the annual hype, except for the occasional one or two Saturdays a season.

That said, for the majority of the people who aren't informed (or don't care,) the quote comes off reflecting poorly on Harper. Regardless of what happened/who said what/etc., coaches don't get fired because they're winning too much. A lot of that has to do with the players. In college, it's the coach's job to get his players, so that DOES ultimately fall on Bowden and his staff of recruiters.

I just think Harper would've helped himself MUCH more (especially if he has aspirations of playing pro?) if he said, "It was a tough situation under Coach Bowden, and we certainly weren't playing to our potential, as players or coaches. This is an opportunity for the entire program to elevate itself, starting with me."

When you've thrown 4 TDs and 6 INTs and you're the QB of a struggling offense, "He got what he deserved" would've probably stayed in the locker room if it was me. Lashing out in the media is what made Bowden a chump.

That said....I love when athletes speak their minds to the media, rather than just give the canned answers...So I'm kinda going in circles here. But for HIS personal future, he should've taken the high road.

Yeah, I don't disagree...I know ZIP about Clemson or Bowden other than their failure to live up to the annual hype, except for the occasional one or two Saturdays a season.

That said, for the majority of the people who aren't informed (or don't care,) the quote comes off reflecting poorly on Harper. Regardless of what happened/who said what/etc., coaches don't get fired because they're winning too much. A lot of that has to do with the players. In college, it's the coach's job to get his players, so that DOES ultimately fall on Bowden and his staff of recruiters.

I just think Harper would've helped himself MUCH more (especially if he has aspirations of playing pro?) if he said, "It was a tough situation under Coach Bowden, and we certainly weren't playing to our potential, as players or coaches. This is an opportunity for the entire program to elevate itself, starting with me."

When you've thrown 4 TDs and 6 INTs and you're the QB of a struggling offense, "He got what he deserved" would've probably stayed in the locker room if it was me. Lashing out in the media is what made Bowden a chump.

That said....I love when athletes speak their minds to the media, rather than just give the canned answers...So I'm kinda going in circles here. But for HIS personal future, he should've taken the high road.

I agree, the prudent thing would have been to take the high road and employ the old "if you can't say something nice..." axiom, but in this case I think it speaks volumes about how bad things have gotten there. For a kid who hasn't pointed fingers, hasn't complained about losing his job, even after being an All-ACC second-teamer and record-setter last year, to come out and make a comment like that really shows how much Tommy had lost the locker room. CJ Spiller even made a couple comments:

"I enjoyed playing for coach Bowden and I liked him, but in the end he was yelling at us to be leaders and it wasn't working," running back C.J. Spiller told ESPN's Joe Schad. "He did all he could to motivate us, but guys weren't buying into what he was saying.

"He let the offensive coordinator [Rob Spence] run the show and we got away from me and James [Davis]," Spiller said. "I think part of the problem was when he benched Cullen. Some people wanted the offensive coordinator fired, he fired the quarterback and then he got fired."

I think this sums it up:

Bowden is not a bad football coach, but he is not a great manager. He had nothing to do with the play calling. Maybe he should have. He refused to make staff changes. So he became the change.

Bowden had nine-and-a-half seasons to get the job done. Since 1999, Bowden's teams have finished better than 5-3 against ACC opponents only once in a single season. In 2000, the Tigers finished 6-2 in the league, good for a second-place finish.

This year, Bowden thought he had everything he needed to win the ACC title -- two 2,000-yard rushers, a 2,000-yard receiver and a record-setting quarterback. But a young, injury-depleted offensive line was a major setback. How major?

Rivals/Yahoo and ESPN are reporting Bowden "relieved of duty." Apparently NBC Sports thinks he quit, since the headline on the NBC Sports AP story reads:

Tommy Bowden quits Clemson in 10th season

Son of coaching great Bobby Bowden steps down 2 days after loss to Wake

LINK

Now ESPN is saying that Bowden resigned:

Athletic director Terry Don Phillips said his intent Monday morning was to have a candid heart-to-heart with Bowden about the football team. But Phillips said he was surprised when Bowden offered to resign.

"There wasn't a gun to his head," Phillips said.

"He put it on the table for the sake of the program," Phillips said. "I agreed."

Bowden will be paid through the end of the season, then get $3.5 million as a buyout negotiated in the contract extension the two sides agreed to in December 2007.

Good work if you can get it.

Now ESPN is saying that Bowden resigned:

Athletic director Terry Don Phillips said his intent Monday morning was to have a candid heart-to-heart with Bowden about the football team. But Phillips said he was surprised when Bowden offered to resign.

"There wasn't a gun to his head," Phillips said.

"He put it on the table for the sake of the program," Phillips said. "I agreed."

Bowden will be paid through the end of the season, then get $3.5 million as a buyout negotiated in the contract extension the two sides agreed to in December 2007.

Good work if you can get it.

On a brighter note, Rodriguez had to pay back WVU 4 million bucks for bolting to Michigan. :thumbsup:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...p&type=lgns

And FSU better hurry. A bigger portion of the Auburn world is getting pissed off with Tuberville. Apparently, questions regarding job security have been asked during interviews.

Some of the replacement names being tossed about in the delusional minds of Auburn fans:

Butch Davis

Brian Kelly

Dennis Francione (sp) :D;)

Bill Cowher

Lane Kiffin

Nick Saban :unsure::doh:

Bobby Petrino :lol:

Jimbo Fisher

I wouldnt put it past either saban or petrino to bolt for auburn. Both are classless pieces of trash and despicable lying scumbag humans.

As for fisher, he's got a guarantee that he'll be the next coach at FSU by the end of the 2010 or 2011 (i can't remember which) season in his contract. If that time comes and goes, FSU owes him 2.5 mil i believe. If Fisher bolts before then, he owes FSU the same amount.

On a brighter note, Rodriguez had to pay back WVU 4 million bucks for bolting to Michigan. :unsure:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...p&type=lgns

That was fantastic. And glad to see karma kicking his butt as well, losing to a MAC team for the first time ever.

I wouldnt put it past either saban or petrino to bolt for auburn. Both are classless pieces of trash and despicable lying scumbag humans.

As for fisher, he's got a guarantee that he'll be the next coach at FSU by the end of the 2010 or 2011 (i can't remember which) season in his contract. If that time comes and goes, FSU owes him 2.5 mil i believe. If Fisher bolts before then, he owes FSU the same amount.

I was going to post the same thing but got sidetracked while looking for the buyout/guarantee amount. I still haven't found the exact date, but everything I've read says "three years" from the releases dated Dec. 2007.

Temper, temper, Ramius. The FSU "Return to Glory" is not happening fast enough for you?

You're clueless if you think Saban will leave Bama for Auburn. Auburn cannot match the recruiting clout Alabama brings to the table. Besides, the financial aspects alone pretty much rule that option out. There are a lot of other coaches they could get for cheaper.

Tuberville has a $6m buyout clause. If Auburn does part ways with Tubby, and becomes seriously interested in Fisher, I doubt another $2.5m will get in their way.

Look on the bright side, if that does happen, Tuberville will be available.

Butch Davis

Brian Kelly

Dennis Francione (sp) ;)B-)

Bill Cowher

Lane Kiffin

Nick Saban :(:thumbsup:

Bobby Petrino <_<

Jimbo Fisher

Butch Davis isn't going anywhere. Auburn will be lucky to land a guy like a Ty Willingham.

Temper, temper, Ramius. The FSU "Return to Glory" is not happening fast enough for you?

You're clueless if you think Saban will leave Bama for Auburn. Auburn cannot match the recruiting clout Alabama brings to the table. Besides, the financial aspects alone pretty much rule that option out. There are a lot of other coaches they could get for cheaper.

Tuberville has a $6m buyout clause. If Auburn does part ways with Tubby, and becomes seriously interested in Fisher, I doubt another $2.5m will get in their way.

Look on the bright side, if that does happen, Tuberville will be available.

Saban is a lying dirty scumbag. You say the money aspect would get in the way, as Saban is making what, 5 mil per season? If Auburn tossed 7 mil per season at him, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. Thats not a knock against alabama, thats just the way a low life loser like Saban works. You guys would be alright though with Kevin Steele on staff.

As for Auburn, to get fisher, they'd have to buyout Tuberville for 6 mil, buyout Fisher for 2.5 mil, and the probably pay fisher 3-4 mil per season on top of that. That seems like a steep price for any university to pay.

The return glory is going slowly, but we're making progess. Of course, we'll probably lay an egg on thursday night, but aside form the wake game, the team has looked well and is showing a lot of good. We still have a legit shot at 8-4 this season.

Saban is a lying dirty scumbag. You say the money aspect would get in the way, as Saban is making what, 5 mil per season? If Auburn tossed 7 mil per season at him, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. Thats not a knock against alabama, thats just the way a low life loser like Saban works. You guys would be alright though with Kevin Steele on staff.

As for Auburn, to get fisher, they'd have to buyout Tuberville for 6 mil, buyout Fisher for 2.5 mil, and the probably pay fisher 3-4 mil per season on top of that. That seems like a steep price for any university to pay.

The return glory is going slowly, but we're making progess. Of course, we'll probably lay an egg on thursday night, but aside form the wake game, the team has looked well and is showing a lot of good. We still have a legit shot at 8-4 this season.

Thursday night games haven't been too kind to us over the last 6-8 years.

:wallbash::worthy::lol:

Check out the meltdown of this Clemson fan.

B-) God knows I hope that guy wasn't serious. Crying over a football program? Seems a bit ;) to me.

Either way, Bowden got what he deserved. He had some of the top talent in the nation at certain skill positions, RB most notably, and couldn't game-plan to use his talent properly. They were mentioned as BCS title contenders and started off the season getting STOMPED on primetime TV by Bama. It was over from that point on. The guys looked like they quit on him after the first game. He looked like a man that was lost on the sidelines. Now he's a man that's jobless at the house. Isn't a bad gig though, getting the rest of your year's salary and a 3.5 mill chunk at the end of the season. He won't be worrying about the price of gas anytime soon.

Thursday night games haven't been too kind to us over the last 6-8 years.

well, we gutted that one out. Not the prettiest of games, but its a big road win for this young team, on the road in primetime on national team, all while fighting the damn thursday night football gods. Big test coming up next weekend against virginia tech.

well, we gutted that one out. Not the prettiest of games, but its a big road win for this young team, on the road in primetime on national team, all while fighting the damn thursday night football gods. Big test coming up next weekend against virginia tech.

Agreed. That was a game we would have lost over the last few years. Gotta use it as a building block.

I thought Fisher called a pretty good game last night, and outside of that 3rd-quarter bomb, the defense was pretty solid. Ponder showed he could make a few throws but needs to cut down on the Chris Rix decision-making.

Agreed. That was a game we would have lost over the last few years. Gotta use it as a building block.

I thought Fisher called a pretty good game last night, and outside of that 3rd-quarter bomb, the defense was pretty solid. Ponder showed he could make a few throws but needs to cut down on the Chris Rix decision-making.

Yup. The early runs and the long bomb were the only glaring mistakes the defense made. The OL line really improved in the second half, but still waaay too many penalties. The holding penalties probably took 3 scores off the board by ending drives prematurely. But the offense scored when they needed to, and Ponder has looked mostly solid back there. Someone needs to teach our WRs how to catch the damn ball however.

Gano has looked good kicking FGs this season. Makes me wonder why the hell we waited until his senior year to let him try kicking. He's been much better than that douche cismesia.

Yup. The early runs and the long bomb were the only glaring mistakes the defense made. The OL line really improved in the second half, but still waaay too many penalties. The holding penalties probably took 3 scores off the board by ending drives prematurely. But the offense scored when they needed to, and Ponder has looked mostly solid back there. Someone needs to teach our WRs how to catch the damn ball however.

Gano has looked good kicking FGs this season. Makes me wonder why the hell we waited until his senior year to let him try kicking. He's been much better than that douche cismesia.

I'm really encouraged overall by the line's improvement. They are so young and seem to be getting better each and every game, so maybe Trickett really knows what he's doing after all. B-)

Surrency needs to come down with the damn ball on those long jump balls.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.