Tuck Rule Strikes Again!

In this case, I am not questioning the call, I am questioning the rule. The rule is just vague enough to be applied to several situations, so trying to argue that it was not covered by the "Tuck Rule" is a fools' errand, IMO.

I am not a conspiracy guy. I don't really think the refs are plotting to help Dallas and NE*. But, a "rule" like this sure can make it look that way. Again, let me see the Tuck Rule cited on a non-essential play (no turnover involved), early in the game, at midfield. Maybe it gets called all the time, and I just missed it. But, I watch a lot of NFL Football.

Yeah, you're right, it is vague. It is like asuming something, as if the refs can read a guy's mind and know what he intended to do with the ball.

So it's an incomplete pass, great. But didn't that ball go backwards yesterday?

I agree... what Romo did yesterday, that shouldn't be any different than turning towards his left and throwing the ball to a RB in the flat backwards, who then drops it. The arm is moving forward at that start of the throwing motion, but at the point of release it's moving backwards, and should be considered a lateral. Romo is pulling the ball backwards and therefore shouldn't be considered a throwing motion.

There's just TOO many damn stipulations to the rules these days. Simplifying things and having more universal rules would go a long way towards making the game easier to follow. What's to prevent a QB from as soon as he receives the snap, begins a throwing motion and then continuously swing his arm around in a circle, until he's ready to throw. In this case, his arm is either moving forward to throw the ball, or its coming down in a tuck and can't be ruled a fumble. This is obviously a joke, but I'd argue that by the rules it could be ruled that way. Just a thought at how ridiculous some of these rules have gotten.

If 99 out of 100 impartial guys in a bar are watching a game, and they can watch the play and say Romo was obviously not throwing that ball... shouldn't it be a damn fumble!

Im a little slow, but I am much smarter than any of the refs in the nfl. I think the rules should be simple because officiating is not easy.

If you watch game film, offsides is only called correctly about half the time. I think it is too much to ask the officials to atherosclerose their way over to their to the play reviewer, look at slides of nifty animals, and make the right call on whatever the eff the tuck rule is.

When you play certain teams like Dallas, you are fighting the refs and the NFL too. As far as I know the NFL pulled the Tuck rule out of its butt to cover themselves after that New England game. I refuse to believe it existed prior. All the Tuck rule does is give the refs a way to hose a team.

PTR

The funniest thing on TV is the NFL Network when they have on the head of the NFL officials try to explain away the BAD CALLS made the previous Sunday. :(:lol::wallbash:

When you read that it makes sense why the rule would be in place but at the same time i think that rule needs to be eleiminated

WHAT??? No it doesn't. How does it make sense, that after the throwing motion is completed, but the ball not thrown, then (again, after the attempted throwing motion is complete) he fumbles, and it ruled an incomplete pass.

Guess what, 99.999% of the time the QB "drops back to pass" he plans on throwing it, but doesnt always get to. He wanted to throw it, decided not to, then, later, he fumbled. How come every QB fumble doesn't fit under that rules juristiction, because unless its a QB draw, they were planning on throwing a pass, and thus whether the ball is moving backwards, forwards, or back in time it could potentially be ruled a "tuck"

WHAT??? No it doesn't. How does it make sense, that after the throwing motion is completed, but the ball not thrown, then (again, after the attempted throwing motion is complete) he fumbles, and it ruled an incomplete pass.

Guess what, 99.999% of the time the QB "drops back to pass" he plans on throwing it, but doesnt always get to. He wanted to throw it, decided not to, then, later, he fumbled. How come every QB fumble doesn't fit under that rules juristiction, because unless its a QB draw, they were planning on throwing a pass, and thus whether the ball is moving backwards, forwards, or back in time it could potentially be ruled a "tuck"

Bingo. Shouldn't every QB throw in a pump fake as soon as he snaps the ball so that if he gets hit and fumbles it won't matter?