Gonzalez Report

BillsVet

I know there are people talking about the Gonzalez to Buffalo angle. Chris Brown has it on his blog that there is an unconfirmed story from ESPNews that Buffalo is interested in Tony Gonzalez. However...

The report says Chiefs CEO King Carl (Peterson) wants a first and change. That's too high, and I'd be surprised to see KC get any more than a second. Gonzalez has some tread left on him, but a first is probably the initial offer, which is never accepted. TG has made it known he'd like to get out while the Chiefs undergo complete rebuild.

The trade deadline is 10/14, and Chris Chambers went for a second last year. My gut tells me Buffalo does not consider Gonzalez for more than a third. His pay is manageable for 08 and 09, but there's some guaranteed money there as well.

Then again, this is a must-win year for the Bills and there is no quality TE on the roster. You've got an H-Back type in Schouman and an injured rookie in Fine being the backups to the disappointing Royal.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are people talking about the Gonzalez to Buffalo angle. Chris Brown has it on his blog that there is an unconfirmed story from ESPNews that Buffalo is interested in Tony Gonzalez. However...

The report says Chiefs CEO King Carl (Peterson) wants a first and change. That's too high, and I'd be surprised to see KC get any more than a second. Gonzalez has some tread left on him, but a first is probably the initial offer, which is never accepted. TG has made it known he'd like to get out while the Chiefs undergo complete rebuild.

The trade deadline is 10/14, and Chris Chambers went for a second last year. My gut tells me Buffalo does not consider Gonzalez for more than a third. His pay is manageable for 08 and 09, but there's some guaranteed money there as well.

Then again, this is a must-win year for the Bills and there is no quality TE on the roster. You've got an H-Back type in Schouman and an injured rookie in Fine being the backups to the disappointing Royal.

I bet the NY Giants would love TG.

Keep your eyes open on that deal.

I bet the NY Giants would love TG.

Keep your eyes open on that deal.

With less than three days until the deadline and KC in going nowhere but top 5 pick mode, I think TG gets dealt. Where to, I'm not sure.

Gonzalez per KC Star

This report seems to validate your theory. I wouldn't blink if it happened. For a third and a sixth? I think that's manageable. Buffalo is also mentioned here, but again, no concrete source. Not that there ever is one.

With less than three days until the deadline and KC in going nowhere but top 5 pick mode, I think TG gets dealt. Where to, I'm not sure.

Gonzalez per KC Star

This report seems to validate your theory. I wouldn't blink if it happened. For a third and a sixth? I think that's manageable. Buffalo is also mentioned here, but again, no concrete source. Not that there ever is one.

While I wouldn't give away the farm for him, a 3rd and a 6th (or even 5th) would be a no-brainer, IMO.

Gonz is clearly past his prime, but as most note, is a big step up from what the Bills currently have. More importantly, IMO, is that if the Bills acquire Gonzalez (I understand that isn't likely), they might actually start to use the tight end more in the offense. THAT would be the biggest improvement, IMO. I would settle for them using Royal more, if this doesn't happen.

He's on his 12'th season, and will 33 this coming Feb. I think if the Bills were one or two players away, maybe

you make a deal, however IMO they should keep trying to build through the draft.

First 3 picks in '09 draft should be some combination of DL, OL and receiver.

I wouldn't give more than a 4th for him. He's got like 1 or two years left in the tank and he's not as good as he used to be, either way.

And, if that helps the Bills makes the playoffs this year, and go even further, next year, what is that worth? In two years, maybe they can find the young Tight End they really would like to have.

And, if that helps the Bills makes the playoffs this year, and go even further, next year, what is that worth? In two years, maybe they can find the young Tight End they really would like to have.

I dunno .. is that worth a 3rd? That's like an Ellis or Youboty or Edwards. Though I do hear what you are saying.

Though I do think this is the Bills year to make some noise, and that if they are going to bring in an expiring player who wants one last shot at glory, this is the best year for the Bills to do it.

Edit: from that KC Start link above:

"The Chiefs were asking for a third-round pick, and the Giants offered a sixth-rounder."

I dunno .. is that worth a 3rd? That's like an Ellis or Youboty or Edwards. Though I do hear what you are saying.

Though I do think this is the Bills year to make some noise, and that if they are going to bring in an expiring player who wants one last shot at glory, this is the best year for the Bills to do it.

Edit: from that KC Start link above:

"The Chiefs were asking for a third-round pick, and the Giants offered a sixth-rounder."

Give them a 4th and let's play ball.

Gonzalez is not a player to build for the future obviously. He does represent a significant upgrade at a position the Bills are extremely thin at.

The Bills seem to have selected a QB for the long term in Edwards. That's the first step, but surrounding him with a cast of characters is the second. For a QB who's very accurate, it makes sense to have a pass catching TE. It may cost a third for TG, but in terms of developing your QB of the present and future, this could be an investment. Especially if it relegates Royal to be the blocking TE he should be.

Gonzalez is not a player to build for the future obviously. He does represent a significant upgrade at a position the Bills are extremely thin at.

The Bills seem to have selected a QB for the long term in Edwards. That's the first step, but surrounding him with a cast of characters is the second. For a QB who's very accurate, it makes sense to have a pass catching TE. It may cost a third for TG, but in terms of developing your QB of the present and future, this could be an investment. Especially if it relegates Royal to be the blocking TE he should be.

Royal needs to be on the chopping block if TG comes in.

Some very good points. The question is, does one feel the Bills are close to MAKING the playoffs, or winning a game

in the playoffs. I think they still need to build the roster, the O-line/D-line and receivers specifically.

Would they need to change the offense to get T.G. the ball?

Do the Bills know how to use a pass catching TE?

Some very good points. The question is, does one feel the Bills are close to MAKING the playoffs, or winning a game

in the playoffs. I think they still need to build the roster, the O-line/D-line and receivers specifically.

We haven't had one in a long time, let's find out.

Excellent questions, Surf.

I think the Bills are obviously a potential playoff team, this year...but might need help getting there. And, next year, with a very few additions, or adjustments, may be ready to go deep into the playoffs. Does a guy like Gonzalez make both of those more likely?

And, as I stated earlier, if the Bills actually get Tony G, I think they WILL find a way to use him. Turk will be almost forced to use him, which may be the biggest benefit of the deal.

I'm not saying sell the future for this guy, but if they can get it done for a reasonable price...I'd be for it. What is reasonable? I will trust this Bills' FO to not give up too much. If anything, they are likely to not make the deal, if the price is even a tad too high, IMO.

I wouldn't give more than a 4th for him. He's got like 1 or two years left in the tank and he's not as good as he used to be, either way.

This is a guy who just last season had 99 catches, 1172 yards and 5 touchdowns. He isn't on that pace this year, what with the Chiefs asking him to block more and having already used 3 different starting quarterbacks, including some guy named Tyler Thigpen. But he has NOT lost very much of his speed or athleticism. This is still one of the premier tight ends in the game.

As for the chance that his game is about to drop off, Gonzo has proven to be one of the most durable players in the league and keeps himself in excellent shape. He could be one of those rare players who remains relevant well into their 30s. Since he was drafted, he's appeared in 156 of the Chiefs 158 regular season games.

Personally, I would have no problem giving away a 2nd and a 5th. The prospect of Edwards playing with Evans and Gonzalez is too enticing to pass up.

reports are they want a 1st DAY and change. Here is the

espn insider rumor central article...

A league source confirms Gonzalez earlier this week went to Chiefs GM Carl Peterson and inquired about a trade to contender, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. The Chiefs are now open to dealing the star tight end for the right price.

They don't wish to give him away and give the impression that they've completely given up on trying to win now. Kansas City is seeking a first- day pick and "change.

That's compensation similar to what the New York Giants got from the New Orleans Saints for Jeremy Shockey, second- and fifth-round draft picks.

The problem is Gonzalez is 32 and teams aren't willing to mortgage their future for an older player. Therefore, a team source believes there's a 99-percent chance a deal doesn't happen before Tuesday afternoon's trading deadline unless the Chiefs drop their asking price, or Gonzalez demands a trade (he's only inquired about one now) or a contender loses a tight end in Week6. The current asking price seems to be scaring teams away.