Marshawn, Do you see what I see with this guy?

UncleBuff

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you cherry-picked that list a bit. Of the 13 teams with winning records, only one, the Patriots with Sammy Morris, have a leading rusher with a lower ypc than Lynch. And only two others, the Cards with James and the Bears with Forte, have leading rushers under 4.0 ypc. The Ravens' leading rusher, McClain, is over 4.2.

I laid out my EXACT criteria: first-round pick, ypc similar to Lynch. If you want to use a different set of numbers, feel free.

I laid out my EXACT criteria: first-round pick, ypc similar to Lynch. If you want to use a different set of numbers, feel free.

I on the other hand just picked names off of the list (sorted by ypc) I thought would clear up the "good backs average over 4" assertion. Westbrook isn't a good back? Addai? And J Lewis, E James, McGahee, Forte, Hightower also are all bad backs?

I'm nowhere near disappointed in Lynch. Sure he's still developing, but he's doing great so far IMO. Success isn't the only thing I respond to as a fan (though we have a great record so far this year). Seeing how hard this kid runs, and seeing him force his way for an extra yeard through 2-3 defenders regularly is awesome. How can you be disappointed with Marshawn?

They need to scrap there whole running philosphy....the zone blocking, the tight formations and predictablity....

Anytime Reed goes in motion in the 2 WR set....you can put your house on it...there running up the gut....they do it 4-5 times a game.....I keep telling myself there setting something up....

Reed goes in motihon....safeties push up in the box.......PA.......then boom hit Evans deep on a fly route....

but NOPE!!!!!

Start running out of the spread formation...it will push the safeties back....while creating mismatches in the passing game on early downs.....also forces a smaller defensive package out there(with the extra DB).....helps our OLine out....and gives Marshawn/Freddy options....while being less predictable...

I think a lot of it has to do with the line and Lynch's vision. Sometimes there may be a cutback lane and he may not see it, but once he does get into the open field, he is pretty elusive.

I don't know if you knew this or not, but he leads the NFL with more carries of 10 + yards. He also would have gone over 100 yards in the ST Louis game, but had 50 yards called back due to penalties.

I believe a lot has to do with his vision and his side-stepping. His side-step routine doesn't fit well in the NFL when running behind lineman, but it's fine in the open-field. Part of the reason for his more carries for over 10+ is his desire to hit home-runs rather than doubles and singles.

That's part of the reason why I want to see Jackson start a game. It's nice to see 6, 7 yard runs for 2 & 3 once an offensive series. It's hard to loosen up the O when they are always 2nd and long. Any great O in the league has this ability to match up well with 2nd down. They don't feel the pressure of missing a long ball to go for 3rd and 3.

It's not hard to be a 1,000 yard rusher with a little over 60 yards per game. The difference between Barry Sanders side-stepping and Lynch is Sanders would side-step very quickly and knock you off the ground, Lynch's side-steps are slow and heavy, which is fine for open field jukes, but not behind a blocker.

I don't get how anyone can watch Bills game and not think Lynch is a top 5 back in the NFL. Our pass blocking this year is TERRIBLE. More times than not Marshawn loses the first guy that touches him, which is crucial when you're running behind a sub-par line like ours. He turns many 1 and 2 yard losses into 2 and 3 yard gains every game. He has also had 4(if I recall correctly) 15+yd runs that have been called back due to penalty.

I don't get how anyone can watch Bills game and not think Lynch is a top 5 back in the NFL. Our pass blocking this year is TERRIBLE. More times than not Marshawn loses the first guy that touches him, which is crucial when you're running behind a sub-par line like ours. He turns many 1 and 2 yard losses into 2 and 3 yard gains every game. He has also had 4(if I recall correctly) 15+yd runs that have been called back due to penalty.

I am a huge Lynch fan, but I don't like that argument. Who is to say those holds didn't spring the 15 yard run? A lot of times the penalty is behind the play, but other times it's the whole reason he even got out of the backfield.

You might not want to believe this but Atlanta, Kansas, Oakland, and probably Tampa Bay have worse lines but better running numbers than us. A better example of how a player can look different with the same team is Pittsburgh. Moore and Parker are running much better than 1st round Mendenhall.

I believe you can develop your skills, but right now Lynch doesn't scare anyone except with his ferocity. No one is afraid Lynch is going to break out with a 200 yard game and carry a game on offense. Top 5 backs do that, and Lynch hasn't done that once.

Guys like Ernest Graham, Willie Parker, and (gulp) Fred Jackson can be better than the drafted player as vision is more important than combine and college stats. I'm not saying Jackson is better, but I think he would run better with this blocking scheme.

Hello TBD folks. I have been visiting the site for some time now and finally decided to join the converstion.

I am thrilled with the 08 team. We have a team on the rise and can expect to be among the top 8 teams for the next few years and with some draft help may be able to contend for a title in the very near future. HOWEVER, my main concern is with Lynch. I just dont see 1st round talent with this guy. I think he has gone over 100 yds maybe 2 times and seems to have a ton of 2 yard carries. It is certainly not for lack of effort. He gives 110% But his avg gain is way less than 3 and good backs average over 4. Im thinkin a guy of this caliber is easily found in the 3rd and 4th round.

With the SD game coming up, if we had a back that could take 30 carries and give us a big edge in time of possesion we could win the game by keeping Rivers and Gates and Tomlinson off the field. I just dont think Lynch is the kind of back that gives us that capability. Aside from character issues I dont see Lynch as any improvement from Willis.

Is anyone else disappointed with this guy like I am?

Just so you know, Marshawn is second in Bills history in yards per game (80.3) The only Bill with more yards per game is O.J. (90.9) As stated before, young runners tend to have higher ypg averages, since later in their careers their yardage usually decreases.

what's sad is that last year at this time, we were noting how the offensive line was great. Now they're anything but great...the same 5 guys!!

Thanks a lot, Peters!! :devil:

Are you suggesting that the Peters of last year, is NOT easily replaceable? What will The Senator have to say about that?