The End of the Empire

Well, the deeper this crisis gets, the more it looks like our days as a Superpower are numbered. History shows up that empires rise slowly but descend quickly. Have we peaked? It's starting to look like it. The big question to me is, what is next? Is our descent a slow erosion of power or will it be a quick one. We have heard many pundits say that our days of dominance are over and I think if we take a realistic view of whats unfolding we could be up schits creek w/o a paddle if the world loses confidence in our abilities, which by many accounts they seem to be doing.

Flame me if you must as a Chicken Little, but I feel this is a subject worthy of consideration.

With greatly reduced tax payments to the Gov't from this catastrophe, how much longer can we realistically afford to project power throughout the world? I really feel this is a game changer in the global order but don't know who is next up to the plate. Actually I do-most likely China.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0903425_pf.html

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2006/cr021506.htm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the deeper this crisis gets, the more it looks like our days as a Superpower are numbered. History shows up that empires rise slowly but descend quickly. Have we peaked? It's starting to look like it. The big question to me is, what is next? Is our descent a slow erosion of power or will it be a quick one. We have heard many pundits say that our days of dominance are over and I think if we take a realistic view of whats unfolding we could be up schits creek w/o a paddle if the world loses confidence in our abilities, which by many accounts they seem to be doing.

Flame me if you must as a Chicken Little, but I feel this is a subject worthy of consideration.

With greatly reduced tax payments to the Gov't from this catastrophe, how much longer can we realistically afford to project power throughout the world? I really feel this is a game changer in the global order but don't know who is next up to the plate. Actually I do-most likely China.

That's not true. Decline is generally a long slow process.

Anyway, I'd be happy if a result of this is us starting to pull back from policing the world.

All it took was 7 years under W. Nero would be jealous.

PTR

They said the same thing 80 years ago but the country rose from the ashes of a depression and World War and had some of it's best times after. In order for the forest to grow, it needs to be burnt to the ground every so often.

Its all part of the golbalizatiion process ,its been coming for 20 years. People buying wont they cant afford and charging it , have unleashed the bottom feeders who are now at the top. Throw a few of these corrupt politicians and CEO's in jail and it will begin to turn around , right now there is a lack of trust.

Its all part of the golbalizatiion process ,its been coming for 20 years. People buying wont they cant afford and charging it , have unleashed the bottom feeders who are now at the top. Throw a few of these corrupt politicians and CEO's in jail and it will begin to turn around , right now there is a lack of trust.

:thumbdown:

That's what I love about wingnuts. They're so easily scared and ready to give up.

I encourage all of you who haven't bothered to look back on past crises (from which we recovered) and are ready to throw up your hands and give up - to do it! Go on and jump off that ledge! Rid the world of your whining negativity and let the rest of us pick up the pieces and carry on. We are far tougher than you.

Oh and take McPalin and Bush with you.

That's what I love about wingnuts. They're so easily scared and ready to give up.

I encourage all of you who haven't bothered to look back on past crises (from which we recovered) and are ready to throw up your hands and give up - to do it! Go on and jump off that ledge! Rid the world of your whining negativity and let the rest of us pick up the pieces and carry on. We are far tougher than you.

Oh and take McPalin and Bush with you.

:lol:

i remember when i was a student in the US back in 92, everybody was saying the same things "end of the empire" "we are toasted"... at the time it was Japan not China that was supposed to be the new big guy... well we'll see... The US always seems to find ways to rebound....

Little known fact; always rebounding is one of our ways of remaining vigilant in our quest to consistently piss off the French.

:lol:

Well cheese louise...if ever you needed an example of the stupidity of the human race, here it is. What's different here from past bear markets is...the f-ing MEDIA is just having a feeding frenzy! Every time a little sanity returns, you see headlines including the words "Depression", "Panic" "Loss", "Plunge", "Desperation" etc. Morons.

Someone sent me an excellent article summaring the last 11 or so bear markets - not as spectacular, for sure, but we always recovered, and we'll recover again.

But it really cracks me up that all these big tough "love it or leave it" types are the first ones to crap their pants and run. I think half the people who are panicked have no idea WHY and probably don't have diddly in the market anyway!

I'm letting it ride...don't have my $1m anymore, but it'll come back by the time I need it.

Well cheese louise...if ever you needed an example of the stupidity of the human race, here it is. What's different here from past bear markets is...the f-ing MEDIA is just having a feeding frenzy! Every time a little sanity returns, you see headlines including the words "Depression", "Panic" "Loss", "Plunge", "Desperation" etc. Morons.

Someone sent me an excellent article summaring the last 11 or so bear markets - not as spectacular, for sure, but we always recovered, and we'll recover again.

But it really cracks me up that all these big touch "love it or leave it" types are the first ones to crap their pants and run.

I'm letting it ride...don't have my $1m anymore, but it'll come back by the time I need it.

How the hell is this a Republican/Democrat issue. I think the people on the left are shiiting themselves just as much as the right. You're amazing.

For the empire to break down, you have to name the barbarians at the gate. Or specifically, if the empire does break down, will it turn the world into another dark ages millennium?

In my best redneck voice: "It's those darn Mescins...it's all a conspiracy of thar darn govurnment of Mesco...they're tryin to bring thar derk skinned peoples, thar language, and their cultyr, and make us the Mescin States of 'Merica! Rome is burning once 'gain"