Is Perry Fewell Mentally Retarded?

A couple of my thoughts on the Bills defense yesterday:

All day yesterday it felt like he was dropping the LB core and the secondary by at least 10 yards to not get killed with the deep ball, yet Kurt Warner never threw a single deep pass yesterday. He kept throwing flats, quick slant routes, and screens, all of which led to a huge chunk of yardage. Their YAC must of been pretty high yesterday. I was waiting for a blitz or two, or maybe some defensive plays to have a guy or two guard the flat and screen plays, yet none of those adjustments happened. Kurt Warner had a million years to throw the football, and the sh------- ass screens and flat plays went for almost 15 yards everytime. Even the couple of times when a Bills defender was there at the line of scrimmage, they barely even touched whoever had the ball and let them waltz right on by for another first down.

The Cardinals didn't do anything that impressive on offense yesterday, yet were able to score 41 points most in part due to Perry Fewell's incompetence on adjusting to what the Cardinals were doing. Is he just mentally incapable of registering what's going on the field? I mean if you're going to get killed deep, then get killed deep because it's better than watching Kurt Warner picking us apart with little dinks and dunks on 15-20 play scoring drives all day.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All day yesterday it felt like he was dropping the LB core and the secondary by at least 10 yards to not get killed with the deep ball, yet Kurt Warner never threw a single deep pass yesterday. He kept throwing flats, quick slant routes, and screens, all of which led to a huge chunk of yardage. Their YAC must of been pretty high yesterday. I was waiting for a blitz or two, or maybe some defensive plays to have a guy or two guard the flat and screen plays, yet none of those adjustments happened. Kurt Warner had a million years to throw the football, and the sh------- ass screens and flat plays went for almost 15 yards everytime. Even the couple of times when a Bills defender was there at the line of scrimmage, they barely even touched whoever had the ball and let them waltz right on by for another first down.

The Cardinals didn't do anything that impressive on offense yesterday, yet were able to score 41 points most in part due to Perry Fewell's incompetence on adjusting to what the Cardinals were doing. Is he just mentally incapable of registering what's going on the field? I mean if you're going to get killed deep, then get killed deep because it's better than watching Kurt Warner picking us apart with little dinks and dunks on 15-20 play scoring drives all day.

I don't know what all the other replies have to do with anything you said, but I agree. Fewell never adjusted to what was happening on the field. The scheme didn't work from beginning to end, and he did nothing to shake things up.

I don't know what all the other replies have to do with anything you said, but I agree. Fewell never adjusted to what was happening on the field. The scheme didn't work from beginning to end, and he did nothing to shake things up.

I think any thread that begins with calling someone retarded doesn't deserve serious answers.

I think any thread that begins with calling someone retarded doesn't deserve serious answers.

I think it was a figure of speech.

Although there is a connotation regarding the mentally handicap, the rudimentary definition of "to cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede" fits pretty well with Perry's approach to that game and making adjustments.

wow...first bad game of the season and now perry is labeled a retart.wtf?...posters are saying he should of blitzed warner more.sometimes you dont have the personal to do the things you want.wasn't aaron and marcus game time decisions?maybe we didnt just match up well to do what perry wanted.......go bills!

Like I said during the Game I understand the risk vs. reward involved when blitzing a Vet QB like Warner, but after watching him pick apart the D 7-15 yards at a time...You have to wonder why The Bills Coaches did not change it up a bit...Especially in the 2nd Half when the Defense needed to make a Play or 2...I mean...the Cards were scoring on every drive anyway...It was a REAL bad day for the Bills Defensive Coaches...especially considering the fact that the Defense did at least a decent job vs. The Run on early downs...Edge averaged less than 3 yards per carry which proves the Bills had plenty of chances to get off the Field on 3rd down and the schemes failed miserably...I doubt you'll see this Defense go that conservative again...It was a tough lesson to learn...but I think Fewell will learn from it and come with the Blitz more often from this point on... :thumbsup:

I think it was a figure of speech.

Although there is a connotation regarding the mentally handicap, the rudimentary definition of "to cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede" fits pretty well with Perry's approach to that game and making adjustments.

How about Is Perry Fewell Stupid? or Is Perry Fewell Mentally Handicapped? (that one would still be offensive to me.) or Does Perry Fewell know how to coach... There are many much less offensive options.

I stand by my comments about a thread with that title shouldn't be taken seriously.

How about Is Perry Fewell Stupid? or Is Perry Fewell Mentally Handicapped? (that one would still be offensive to me.) or Does Perry Fewell know how to coach... There are many much less offensive options.

I stand by my comments about a thread with that title shouldn't be taken seriously.

I don't think he intended to offend your kind directly.

While I agree the choice of words was poor, it doesn't mean the point is not a good one. The defensive scheme yesterday was a joke in just about every way, and virtually nothing seemed to be done to change it when it was crystal clear that it-predictably-wasn't going to work against Warner and that offense.

Like I said during the Game I understand the risk vs. reward involved when blitzing a Vet QB like Warner, but after watching him pick apart the D 7-15 yards at a time...You have to wonder why The Bills Coaches did not change it up a bit...Especially in the 2nd Half when the Defense needed to make a Play or 2...I mean...the Cards were scoring on every drive anyway...It was a REAL bad day for the Bills Defensive Coaches...especially considering the fact that the Defense did at least a decent job vs. The Run on early downs...Edge averaged less than 3 yards per carry which proves the Bills had plenty of chances to get off the Field on 3rd down and the schemes failed miserably...I doubt you'll see this Defense go that conservative again...It was a tough lesson to learn...but I think Fewell will learn from it and come with the Blitz more often from this point on... :censored:

Exactly, you have to figure that at some point, you might as well change it up and try. Whats the worst that could happen, the Cards offence scores? They were doing that running the defence you had out there already

And the Bills have blitzed many times this year, sending guys like youbouty or Whitner in on a blitz. It wasn't that they don't have the personal, it was that their game plan was not to get burned by "the big play", it was one of the keys to the game that they had on CBS's coverage. They were affraid to send in a Safety or CB to blitz because they felt that they might get burned on a big play.

As for Schoebel or Stroud, yes, i believe they were questionable up to game time, but don't tell anyone else that, Schoebel sucks and should be cut or traded this offseason cause he is overpaid and not a Pro Bowler (even though he has been to 2 of them), and unlike another Bills Pro bowler, he actually played in the game

As for Schoebel or Stroud, yes, i believe they were questionable up to game time, but don't tell anyone else that, Schoebel sucks and should be cut or traded this offseason cause he is overpaid and not a Pro Bowler (even though he has been to 2 of them), and unlike another Bills Pro bowler, he actually played in the game

As much as I hate to say it, I have to agree. And these have been my thoughts about Schobel for more than just the beginning of this season. I don't know about him being cut or traded (Although it's certainly not implausible at this point) but he needs to step it up and start playing at the same level of the money he is making. NO sacks against Mike fricken Gandy?!?!?!? Erik Flowers could've went out there and got more pressure and maybe even a sack or two against that scrub. I could've accepted the fact of him coming out of the game without a sack if he was getting consistent pressure on Warner, but he wasn't doing anything near that. When you have so much money invested on three defensive ends, there should be no reason to not get pressure from the corners AT LEAST once in a while when rushing four. We shouldn't have to depend on blitzes to get in a quarterback's face all game. Although, we didn't blitz enough or effectively yesterday either. Denney and Kelsay also need to start getting after the quarterback, but Schobel is the one that is supposed to be our Pro-bowler and the guy that brings pressure off the edge, especially in passing situations. He needs to start playing better for this defense to be as successful as it can be. Period.