Ch 4 may get dropped from Time Warner?

Beerball

It's easy to be critical when you don't have all the facts. I certainly don't have all of them, but have heard enough to have a different opinion than you.

The NFL Network insisted on Time Warner putting the channel on the "basic tier", that all customers received. Time Warner wanted to put it in a "sports tier"; some sort of add-on that customers could optionally purchase. From my perspective, Time Warner was right and the NFL Network was wrong. You can't go around bullying people into running their business they way you want them to.

This is an old topic, but how is the NFL wrong? It's their product, and they can say, "If you want to offer our channel, we want you to make it available in this way, otherwise we won't sell it to you." TWC said, "We don't want to do that." NFL said, "Ok, we won't sell it to you." What's the issue again....?

Look at it another way. If you made a great painting and you went to sell it to a gallery and said, "I only want this painting to be put in the front lobby with this fancy gold frame, otherwise I won't sell it to you." The gallery could say, "Sure, we'll accomodate that!" and you've made the sale or they'll say, "No, we want to put it in the back room with this black frame instead," at which point you can say "I don't want to sell you my painting."

Nobody's wrong in either case.

People act like watching football is their god given right.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just may be a troll, Fez. His interpretation of the TW/WIVB situation makes it look like he has come here (was sent here) to spread disinformation.

Look at his joined on date.. That my friend would have taken some really planning! lol :thumbsup:

No. I don't want a stupid saucer bolted to the side of my house.

:thumbsup: That made me laugh. :D

You know you don't have to put it on your house -- you can put it on a pole and run the cables from the pole. Of course, you still have the "stupid saucer" :devil:

I would install either DirectTV or Dish, but it seems you can't install either yourself (WTF). and I don't want some goober installing stuff on my house...so I'm forced to wait untill FoisTV is available to tell TW to F-off.

The installer has to come out (unless you want to argue a lot -- you will eventually win, but it's probably not worth it). However, as soon as the installer comes, you can tell him "Give me the equipment and get out, I'll install it myself." He'll be psyched because he gets paid for the install, but doesn't have to do anything :devil:

Just an option. :thumbsup:

Look at his joined on date.. That my friend would have taken some really planning! lol :thumbsup:

Yes, 2005 is probably too early to join specifically for that purpose. That doesn't mean he isn't using his, previously practically unused membership here, to pimp for TW. Maybe he is an employee, or has been recruited by a marketing firm. (You know that happens, right?)

Of course the fact that you ended with "My sister has sat and hates it," leads me to believe you're a troll.
He just may be a troll, Fez.

I'm not a troll and I hated DirecTV/FIOS when I had it, because of all the equipment and signal problems I had. I'm now back on TW for a lot less money than the DTV/Verizon package cost me.

I'm not a troll and I hated DirecTV/FIOS when I had it, because of all the equipment and signal problems I had. I'm now back on TW for a lot less money than the DTV/Verizon package cost me.

There was a response here that proved i am stupid. So, I removed it, but left this as an admission.

Jack''s a troll!

I do not get all these people that are trashing Time Warner on this one. Time Warner, when carrying channel 4 and 23 increase the viewership of those stations. By increasing the viewership, LinTV can charge more to advertisers for commercials. Therefore, LinTV is already being paid for Time Warner carrying their stations.

As far as everyone saying to switch to satellite: I went to the website that was linked to on wivb’s website. After inputting my information to get a quote on the package that I get from Time Warner with all the extra channels and boxes, they want $595.00 setup, then want to charge way more per month after the “4 free months” (that still would cost me $100.00 per month) than Time Warner charges me. On top of that, that would only cover 4 of the 6 rooms I have TVs in. No, I do not have 6 TVs ever on at once, but it should be MY choice where in my house I choose to watch TV. And I should never have to watch the exact same thing on 2 TVs at once if I choose not to. On top of all that, my sister has satellite and only lives about a mile away from me. She always complains about how when it is snowing or raining real bad, her picture quality is terrible or totally out. Yeah, really worth it.

As far as Verizon: First of all, Verizon customer service has ALWAYS been the worst EVER!!! Why would I think that just because they offer TV now, their customer service would change. Second, even though they are constantly calling me and knocking at my door, their service isn’t even available to me yet. Still they keep bugging me and trying to get me to SIGN A CONTRACT. Third, one of the many times they have called, I figured I would humor myself and ask a few questions. Sure, their initial package is a little cheaper than Time Warner. Then I started asking about the extra HD-DVRs and extra boxes I have. They told me that “sure, that would cause some extra charges”. When pressing them on how much, their response was “well we can discuss that later”. They want me to sign a contract, but are reluctant to tell me exactly how much it would cost. After still pushing further, I finally got a quote. Low and behold, they are more money (about $25 per month more) for the exact same service I receive from Time Warner (minus one channel, NFL Network). To me, the NFL Network is not worth $25 per month.

With all that said, I’m glad Time Warner is taking a stance against Lin TV. In the long run, it will benefit me, the customer. Something that Lin TV, Dish Network, and Verizon FiOS do not care about. For now, I went and got my free antenna so I can watch the Bills and some other shows I do watch on CBS. I can deal with the inconvenience for now.

Is this you Cablelady??? :thumbsup:

24 days until my FIOS TV hook-up, goodbye TW :devil:

So you know my job better than I do?

Still waiting for an answer as to how HD is "free" with TW.

Again, I am not trying to be a :thumbsup: , just want to be more informed.

Like I said in another post, even though I am happy with DTV, I did call TW and found the price to be a little more than DTV, hence no real reason to switch as I am VERY happy with DTV customer service, packages and signal.

I would like to look into FIOS, but it is not available in my area (neither is DSL), and Verizon won't tell me when it will be available, just that it's under construction.

She quoted their pricelist where it was $59 with or without HD. Not sure if that comes with the receiver, etc, etc, but that's what the pricelist said.

Of course that means people with SD are paying for something they never use. :devil: Then again, I know TWC doesn't offer much in HD compared to DirecTV/Dish (and I believe they have less than Comcast too), so maybe that's why it's currently the same price.

Like I said in another post, even though I am happy with DTV, I did call TW and found the price to be a little more than DTV, hence no real reason to switch as I am VERY happy with DTV customer service, packages and signal.

I would like to look into FIOS, but it is not available in my area (neither is DSL), and Verizon won't tell me when it will be available, just that it's under construction.

Here's her answer:

Digital Cable Package: $58.95/mo. Digital Cable Package w/HD Converter: $58.95/mo. HD channels are free.

Sound like there is no extra charge for HD with Time Warner. I don't think cablebabe would lie to you.