Coy Wire....if he hasn't lost anything

Tcali

It seems as though in our system, and with a great coach in Bobby April, that good/great special teamers are easily replaceable. Wendling has come out of nowhere this year, as has George Wilson. Before this year I didn't know Wilson was such a great player on ST. Also, guys like Corto, DiGiorgio, and Bryan Scott have really stepped up. I don't think it was a mistake because of the Bills' ability to cycle through and find great replacements.

Also, it was reported that Wire may not even be able to play football again, let alone recover and be the same player he was. So I don't think its fair to ask if the decision to let him go was a mistake because why would anyone hang on to a guy like that who has a possible career ending injury? I think if he was never injured and was just cut for personel reasons, maybe we can have the debate of if it was a bad decision or not, but that wasn't the case.

Lets not forget that one of the reasons Derek Fine was drafted was that he was an excellent special teams player...some said one of the best in college on the kick units, so that definitely will help a little when he comes back---however, I do agree that we lost some very important parts on our special teams units...

That being said, look for some new players to step up once they get more familiar in their roles with more live reps...

Also, it was reported that Wire may not even be able to play football again, let alone recover and be the same player he was. So I don't think its fair to ask if the decision to let him go was a mistake because why would anyone hang on to a guy like that who has a possible career ending injury? I think if he was never injured and was just cut for personel reasons, maybe we can have the debate of if it was a bad decision or not, but that wasn't the case.

Isn't he on atlanta right now?

Coy Wire had one of those injuries doctors debate on severity and whether he would be risking further injury to play anymore. A Falcon fan asked me why we got rid of him since he thought he was playing very well and I told him it was not his play but changes in the team looking for younger LBs who stay healthy.

It seems as though in our system, and with a great coach in Bobby April, that good/great special teamers are easily replaceable. Wendling has come out of nowhere this year, as has George Wilson. Before this year I didn't know Wilson was such a great player on ST. Also, guys like Corto, DiGiorgio, and Bryan Scott have really stepped up. I don't think it was a mistake because of the Bills' ability to cycle through and find great replacements.

dont forget that april thinks Derek fine is an incredible special team er and played on all special teams in college. when he returns i think he will greatly help our special teams.

Actually i thought that wendling was very solid last year on st's easpecially the last half of the season, the guy is big and can roll quite good for a white boy!

I think your right about Wilson. I also like what I am seeing from some of the newcomers to the ST squad. I thought that Wendling had a pretty solid showing last year though...am I off on this?

Coy Wire had one of those injuries doctors debate on severity and whether he would be risking further injury to play anymore. A Falcon fan asked me why we got rid of him since he thought he was playing very well and I told him it was not his play but changes in the team looking for younger LBs who stay healthy.

I felt we cut him due to dissatisfaction with Keith Ellison. It went something like this:

1) After last season, the Bills decide they no longer want Keith Ellison to be a starter

2) The Bills sign Kawika Mitchell, pushing Ellison into a backup role

3) With the addition of Ellison to the ranks of the backup LBs, there was one less roster spot for some other backup LB

4) Due to his injury, Wire was the backup LB selected to lose his spot