Schobel 33 Sacks Short Of 100. A Rare Milestone

Steely Dan

Schobel needs 33 sacks in 3 years to attain this goal  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How long til he hits 100 sacks?

• Easily within the three years.
    • Only two years will be needed
    • It will take more than 3 years.

Unless my math is screwed up, I have Bruce at 92 sacks after 8 seasons. In the same number of seasons, Schobel has 68 sacks. Looks like a difference of 24, not 11.

Your math is wrong. This is the very beginning of Schobels 8th year. You're including a full 8th season for Smith. So because it's the beginning of Schobels eighth year and before this season he had 67 sacks and at the beginning of Bruce's 8th season he had 78. Hence the 11 short. :(

Chris Brown compares their numbers after seven seasons:

"After seven seasons Schobel is only 11 sacks off Smith’s pace."

Schobel was drafted in '01 I think, so he is only two games into his eighth season.

I don't think anyone is equating him to Bruce Smith, only to show by way of comparison that he's a damn good football player who, had he been on better teams throughout his career, might have gotten a little more love.

This is Schobel's 9th season in the NFL.

edited...Wrong on my part. Sorry!

Gee, anyone think there's a correlation to Bruce's explosion in numbers after we acquired Biscuit and then got an offense that routinely forced teams to play from behind more often than not? Of course, Bruce also made a commitment to keep himself in shape and become a professional, too.

Anyone who thinks Schobel had a bad year last year is simply not nuanced enough in the game to understand just how GOOD a season he had.

I'm not going to compare Schobel to Bruce. That's ridiculous. Different teams. Different schemes. Bruce is one of the all time greats. First ballot HOFer. A true game changer.

That said, Schobel deserves a lot more appreciation than he gets from us around here. If he stays healthy, he's a lock to get his 100 sometime in the '11 season, if not before. As noted above, that's elite company from an historical perspective. How can anyone NOT appreciate that?

GO BILLS!!!

Gee, anyone think there's a correlation to Bruce's explosion in numbers after we acquired Biscuit and then got an offense that routinely forced teams to play from behind more often than not? Of course, Bruce also made a commitment to keep himself in shape and become a professional, too.

Anyone who thinks Schobel had a bad year last year is simply not nuanced enough in the game to understand just how GOOD a season he had.

I'm not going to compare Schobel to Bruce. That's ridiculous. Different teams. Different schemes. Bruce is one of the all time greats. First ballot HOFer. A true game changer.

That said, Schobel deserves a lot more appreciation than he gets from us around here. If he stays healthy, he's a lock to get his 100 sometime in the '11 season, if not before. As noted above, that's elite company from an historical perspective. How can anyone NOT appreciate that?

GO BILLS!!!

Thank you!

I don't think Schobel is underrated at all. The reason no one recognizes him is because his numbers are quiet. Although him and Bruce are only 11 sacks apart at this point, many of Bruce's sacks came at key times, i.e. crucial 3rd down stops or at the end of games that killed drives. Schobel... not so much. He may put up numbers, but not in the same way. Had he done anything meaningful, he would be rated where he should be and gotten more credit. I don't want to sound negative, I like Schobel a lot, but there is a reason he is "underrated" to some. When you needed Bruce to make a difference in a game, or you needed a big play, he was there. Can we count on Schobel? The answer is no IMO. For those reasons, he can put up as many sacks as he wants, but to me, he'll never be considered with one of the greats, just a good, solid player.

I don't think Schobel is underrated at all. The reason no one recognizes him is because his numbers are quiet. Although him and Bruce are only 11 sacks apart at this point, many of Bruce's sacks came at key times, i.e. crucial 3rd down stops or at the end of games that killed drives. Schobel... not so much. He may put up numbers, but not in the same way. Had he done anything meaningful, he would be rated where he should be and gotten more credit. I don't want to sound negative, I like Schobel a lot, but there is a reason he is "underrated" to some. When you needed Bruce to make a difference in a game, or you needed a big play, he was there. Can we count on Schobel? The answer is no IMO. For those reasons, he can put up as many sacks as he wants, but to me, he'll never be considered with one of the greats, just a good, solid player.

I pretty much agree...altho I would rate him as a bit less than solid due to his getting pushed around so much and the fact that he is Mr non-factor so often. He is a good,undersized scrappy DE who has a knack to sneak in there and get sacks.Average against the run and only slightly above average as a passrusher because consistent pressure is not something he is capable of applying.

Your best Norton? As in the annoying morning radio show host on that garbage 96.9 FM? Was that a joke? Are you serious? I can't tell.

In other news I hear Trent Edwards is 227 Touchdowns shy of breaking Jim Kelly's franchise record.

Well he's clearly on pace to be an elite QB, then.

Tim Graham brought up an interesting stat a couple weeks ago...

RIGHT DEFENSIVE END: Aaron Schobel, Bills.

Seymour is everybody's default selection, but New England's five-time Pro Bowler played in only eight games last year. Besides, Schobel has done more with less. His 52 sacks since 2003 are second only to Jason Taylor's 59. Schobel went to his second Pro Bowl last year despite recording only 6.5 sacks because he often was double-teamed. He tied for fifth in the NFL with five forced fumbles (more than Seymour has in his career).

That's pretty much it. I love how hard he plays and his hustle but IMO he doesn't really ever require a double team and just has a nice knack for the sack. I'm happy we have him and all, but yes, I've been spoiled by Bruce friggen Smith. Sure, Schobel is 2nd only to Taylor since 2003 but how often have teams really had to gameplan an extra blocker vs. him?

I don't think anyone is equating him to Bruce Smith, only to show by way of comparison that he's a damn good football player who, had he been on better teams throughout his career, might have gotten a little more love.

Bruce also went to the playoffs a number of years which meant he had more games to get sacks in and more support than Aaron has.