FiOS now available in Buffalo!

Fezmid

I don't get this - I know people in Hamburg, etc. who have had it for a few years now, so how is this news? I keep being told that we're getting it in a few weeks - for months now.

FiOS TV is just now available in Hamburg - I know a couple guys who are in the running to be 'first-on-the-block' for the new TV service. FiOS has been available for a while - not sure it's 'years' but maybe about a year - for internet service, and Verizon could 'piggyback' their VoIP telephone service on the fiber into your house, but the TV content was actually from DirectTV, I think. Now it's the actual FiOS digital television service that's being 'turned up' this week in Hamburg, Amherst and OP - and yes, they will have the NFL network as part of their TV package. (Bite me, Time Warner.)

BTW - the thread title says 'now available in Buffalo' - somewhat misleading, as Buffalo will not have the service for at least another year due to their franchise agreement w/Time Warner. Kinda sucks, especially since the FiOS TV hub/head-end is in Buffalo, in the old Verizon central office building on Elmwood.

I know Lancaster has not even been cabled for FIOS. Verizon won't even give you a timetable when it will happen. :lol: Wouldn't you think that they would be aggressive in deploying FIOS so that they can market it to all the major commmunities of WNY instead of just a suburb here or there?

I know Lancaster has not even been cabled for FIOS. Verizon won't even give you a timetable when it will happen. :lol: Wouldn't you think that they would be aggressive in deploying FIOS so that they can market it to all the major commmunities of WNY instead of just a suburb here or there?

Hmmm - guess they haven't greased Giza's greedy palm yet!

I do remember seeing the Comtech guys stringing cable along Transit Road last year - thought it was for FiOS, but then they have to actually bring 2 fiber strands to your house - it takes a while to put that much glass in the ground.

I already have FIOS for my land line and internet, but the wife won't let me ditch cable until FIOS TV carries Howard Stern InDemand.

"Stern hasn't been funny..." in 3...2...1... :lol:

Verizon hasn't provided reliable communication services in 15 years. I hate their company but I love to diss it on internet message boards.

FiOS TV is just now available in Hamburg - I know a couple guys who are in the running to be 'first-on-the-block' for the new TV service.

The President, obviously, and who else? The Judge?

FIOS TV has the NFL network, but they don't have the Sunday Ticket, do they? I believe that is still exclusive to DTV.

FIOS TV has the NFL network, but they don't have the Sunday Ticket, do they? I believe that is still exclusive to DTV.

That is true. Sunday Ticket is DirecTV only.

FIOS TV is available to me in Tonawanda, however, I haven't been able to get clarification on whether or not the Sabres' home games will be available in HD, as the channel lineup I saw did not have MSG HD or a "Sabres HD" channel.

I'm also disappointed that the HD DVR set top box does not currently allow for an external hard drive to be attached.

So, I'm weighing my options before I switch from TW cable to FIOS TV ... devil you know versus the devil you don't know.

That is true. Sunday Ticket is DirecTV only.

FIOS TV is available to me in Tonawanda, however, I haven't been able to get clarification on whether or not the Sabres' home games will be available in HD, as the channel lineup I saw did not have MSG HD or a "Sabres HD" channel.

I'm also disappointed that the HD DVR set top box does not currently allow for an external hard drive to be attached.

So, I'm weighing my options before I switch from TW cable to FIOS TV ... devil you know versus the devil you don't know.

What are the relative costs?

I don't have my spreadsheet with me, but the savings was negligible (less than $10/month) to switch.

Wow, I thought it cost more. That's nice, depending on the number of channels, quality and such.

Yes, The Prez, of course, and a couple neighbors. (Not The Judge though, at least not yet - once Mustang leads the way, we all follow!)

Could swear the Verizon 'suit' on WRGZ-TV's morning news said they'll have both NFL Network and NFL Ticket, but can't find anything to support that so maybe I was still sleeping. I know he was really trying to 'zing' Time Warner - especially since WIVB has broken off negotiations w/TW, which could jeopardize Bills games on local cable!

Here's the FiOS Hamburg lineup -

Link

And, if you just can't get enough info, here's more...

More

Yes, The Prez, of course, and a couple neighbors. (Not The Judge though, at least not yet - once Mustang leads the way, we all follow!)

Could swear the Verizon 'suit' on WRGZ-TV's morning news said they'll have both NFL Network and NFL Ticket, but can't find anything to support that so maybe I was still sleeping. I know he was really trying to 'zing' Time Warner - especially since WIVB has broken off negotiations w/TW, which could jeopardize Bills games on local cable!

Link

More

Thanks, Sen.

If he was trying to zing TW, it makes sense that it was the NFL Network.

Link

More

No Canadian channels? I'd go through HNiC withdrawals. :lol:

No Canadian channels? I'd go through HNiC withdrawals. :lol:

No CBC, CTV, MSNBC, or Sabres in HD (I just called, and a Verizon operator said "I think the local NHL broadcasts are on Fox, which we have in HD" :lol: ).

Although, Verizon FIOS is sponsoring this weekend's Buffalo Sabres Puckdrop 2008 (with an open practice, unveiling jerseys, ticket sales, etc.), so I'm guessing the Sabres will be in HD on FIOS TV somehow.

Hmmm - guess they haven't greased Giza's greedy palm yet!

I do remember seeing the Comtech guys stringing cable along Transit Road last year - thought it was for FiOS, but then they have to actually bring 2 fiber strands to your house - it takes a while to put that much glass in the ground.

From people I know who already have FIOS internet, they don't bring the fiber to your house unless you order. In the case of Lancaster, they haven't even installed the fiber throughout the town and to the boxes in the subdivisions.