remember this guy?

ChicagoDan

His demands while with the Bills were delusional.

Not really. The Bills could have had him for the same amount the Bears signed him for. A big contract only if he produces in the first year but little risk if he doesn't. And then released him at the end of the year like the Bears did. He would have been much better than Tim Anderson, even if he was injured and played half the season like he did with the Bears.

That said, we're much better off with what he have now.

Not really. The Bills could have had him for the same amount the Bears signed him for. A big contract only if he produces in the first year but little risk if he doesn't. And then released him at the end of the year like the Bears did. He would have been much better than Tim Anderson, even if he was injured and played half the season like he did with the Bears.

That said, we're much better off with what he have now.

I'm going off the belief that Walker wanted a decent-sized signing bonus from the Bills, whereas he was willing to take less from the Bears. Because that's what I would have done in his situation. The Bears gave him $500K in signing bonus and he would have made $5.2M in an option payment if he was kept for a 2nd year. I think the $5.2M (or so) was what he wanted upfront from the Bills, but they wouldn't give it to him until he showed-up.

And yes, the Bills made-out in that deal.

I'm going off the belief that Walker wanted a decent-sized signing bonus from the Bills, whereas he was willing to take less from the Bears. Because that's what I would have done in his situation. The Bears gave him $500K in signing bonus and he would have made $5.2M in an option payment if he was kept for a 2nd year. I think the $5.2M (or so) was what he wanted upfront from the Bills, but they wouldn't give it to him until he showed-up.

I tend to agree.

This team has made very good decisions on players...I don't really understand the people that keep questioning the bills' FO moves. Most of the time they are correct, now they're not going to be right 100% of the time but you have to admit they've done very well the last 3 years or so.

I'm going off the belief that like this year with Jason Peters, the Bills held all the cards. He wasn't going to sit out the year. He wanted to play and he wanted to be respected. If the Bills held their ground until right before the season started and offered him the 25 million dollar deal, that actually only cost 1-2 million, it shows the respect and it gives him a shot and he would have easily signed like he did with the Bears.

It doesnt matter though, because I'm lovin' the Stroud, Johnson, Williams trio with a McCargo in the wings.

I'm going off the belief that like this year with Jason Peters, the Bills held all the cards. He wasn't going to sit out the year. He wanted to play and he wanted to be respected. If the Bills held their ground until right before the season started and offered him the 25 million dollar deal, that actually only cost 1-2 million, it shows the respect and it gives him a shot and he would have easily signed like he did with the Bears.

The Bills held a lot more cards in Peters' case, seeing as how he had 3 years left on his contract. Walker OTOH had a clause that would have returned him to Philly if he didn't report by a certain date. And again, if I were him, I'd demand $5M upfront from the Bills because they had a crappy defense, while I'd think in Chicago (where I always wanted to be), their defense would make me look good and ensure that I eventually received that $5.2M option bonus.

The Bills held a lot more cards in Peters' case, seeing as how he had 3 years left on his contract. Walker OTOH had a clause that would have returned him to Philly if he didn't report by a certain date. And again, if I were him, I'd demand $5M upfront from the Bills because they had a crappy defense, while I'd think in Chicago (where I always wanted to be), their defense would make me look good and ensure that I eventually received that $5.2M option bonus.

In Peters' case the Bills and Peters' agent really were in a no lose situation. I'm convinced the agent was playing chicken. When it came to "smashing time", he told Jason to report. He tells Jason the Bills are willing to renegotiate (something the Bills had said all along, as long as Peters returned first). He was never in danger of losing his $$, because he wasn't about to let Jason miss games.

It was different for Walker. He might have been returned to Philly, and could have been cut. Then both he and the agent would be totally at the mercy of another team coming to the table (not a big risk, I know). Plus, I believed that Walker would have been willing to sit out a few games, if push came to shove, with the Bills.

The truth is, we will never know for sure. But, as Kelly mentions, had the Bills made a deal with Walker, it would have been better than keeping Anderson. As it is, the Bills are better off now, either way. And, based on this article, Walker is handling this all extremely well. Very classy.

IIRC, Walker wanted to talk a deal before reporting. Buffalo wouldn't talk a deal until he showed up and they saw what he could do. Chicago was willing to give him a contract sight unseen.

Well, he actually reported to Chicago before the contract was finalized, I believe (I'm sure it was mostly negotiated, very quickly before he even got to Chicago). I think that lends even more support to the idea that he was willing to play for Chicago for a deal he may not have accepted with Buffalo.