Mighty Taco

portisizzle

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:unsure: I've been to a few mexican restaurants here in Buffalo(El Canelo & Cinco de Mayo come to mind) and while they were okay, I wasn't blown away. Could someone point me to the hole-in-the-wall joint with the great Mexican food here in WNY? Until then, I'll still frequent MT and my poor tastebuds will just have to suffer.

I also would like to know some places like that.

El Palenque on Sheridan and Eggert (used to be a Denny's) is pretty good and cheap, but none of the stuff looks like those dishes Chef Jim was showing.

Labbatt, where is El Canelo?

I know! They aren't bad if you want a cheapo, slop of a taco.

Since moving to the South Side of Chicago... Nothing compares outside of Mexico (and that is even a stretch)... I don't know how even Taco Bell makes it here on the South Side? Mighty would fail miserably here... Well, I kinda know how Taco Bell makes it... They cater to the people who want a name brand.

Here... Everything is authentic... Even my Mexican sister-in-law who lives in the BFLO area is always requesting that we send her authentic Mexican products that she would only get in Mexico... Closer to send it from here!

Once you hit these places (along with hitting Nueva Maxwell Street on the weekend), one will feel cheated at Mighty Taco by eating a "Greengo Taco": :bag:

Beyond The Taco

Nueva Maxwell Street

I have local joints that are within a couple of blocks where I live and the food will knock your Sox off!

:thumbsup:

EDIT:

You have to get over one's "Anglo Fear" when walking into some of the small local joints... Oh, and brush up on your Spanish!

I live in an area with a lot of migrant workers so the Mexican food here is top noch. Serioulsy, it's awesome and it's not something you'd expect from random SE PA. As for Mighty Taco. Mighty slays Taco Bell (ETS is better IMO). However, when it comes to actual Mexican food it's not even close but it's an unfair comparison. It's like saying that Hooters has good wings, they do compared to all the slop you can find, but when compared to authentic wings they suck hard.

Real Mexican joints can be a little daunting because the Spanish is almost necessary. Good stuff though. Do yourself a favor and have a Coke while you're there. Most of the little joints I know get the Coke from Mexico (cringing for the jokes) rather than the stuff from the US. Mexican Coca-Cola is still made with cane sugar as opposed to corn syrup. HUGE difference. it's a travesty that we accept the crap they give us in comparison just so it's a little cheaper.

Buffalo is still food heaven for me but I do well where I'm at. Authentic Philly Cheesesteaks, great authentic Mexican, Amish baked goods, Chesapeake seafood and if you look around you can find a good Puerto Rican restaurant or two (like Spanish food moreso than Mexican). Not bad for a rural suburban county.

I live in an area with a lot of migrant workers so the Mexican food here is top noch. Serioulsy, it's awesome and it's not something you'd expect from random SE PA. As for Mighty Taco. Mighty slays Taco Bell (ETS is better IMO). However, when it comes to actual Mexican food it's not even close but it's an unfair comparison. It's like saying that Hooters has good wings, they do compared to all the slop you can find, but when compared to authentic wings they suck hard.

Real Mexican joints can be a little daunting because the Spanish is almost necessary. Good stuff though. Do yourself a favor and have a Coke while you're there. Most of the little joints I know get the Coke from Mexico (cringing for the jokes) rather than the stuff from the US. Mexican Coca-Cola is still made with cane sugar as opposed to corn syrup. HUGE difference. it's a travesty that we accept the crap they give us in comparison just so it's a little cheaper.

Buffalo is still food heaven for me but I do well where I'm at. Authentic Philly Cheesesteaks, great authentic Mexican, Amish baked goods, Chesapeake seafood and if you look around you can find a good Puerto Rican restaurant or two (like Spanish food moreso than Mexican). Not bad for a rural suburban county.

Exactly. I think CC started using high fructose corn syrup in the late 1970's. The only one I think that uses cane sugar is Jones soda, which is sold nationally.

One place I go to in my town sells the Coca-Cola in the glass bottles from Mexico... A few years ago, I asked if it was from Mexico (I know stupid me)... I went back a week later and they had stickers on them from CA (still from Mexico), but the CA stickers had the nutritional info!

Maybe they thought I was somebody snooping around and was going to blow them in? Really, when I go there... I just act like "thank you sir, may I have another."

Oh... It is just a little joint... But, there are always people coming out from the basement... I don't dare tip the INS off! I would have to drive further down the road if they closed it down.

:thumbsup::bag:

1. Taco Cabana - lived on TC in Austin. Still dream about it.

^^ - This. In fact, because of this thread, I went and got the soft chicken taco combo on both wed and fri lol. Such good, fast, mexican food.

Plus, the TC here on Riverside in Austin is the closest food place to my apartment.

I also would like to know some places like that.

El Palenque on Sheridan and Eggert (used to be a Denny's) is pretty good and cheap, but none of the stuff looks like those dishes Chef Jim was showing.

Labbatt, where is El Canelo?

On Dingens St., right off the 190 where the toll barriers used to be.